Artwork: Guards of the Highland Broadsword
Located in a museum right here in San Francisco is an interesting piece of art called The Guards of the Highland Broadsword, by Thomas Rowlandson, 1799.

Who can share more about this? It's shown below, but a higher resolution version is also available for browsing.

Attachment: 114.11 KB
Thomas-Rowlandson-The-Guards-of-the-Highland-Broadsword-1799.jpg
The Guards of the Highland Broadsword
by Thomas Rowlandson, 1799
Copyright: Collection of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco

It looks similar to one of the manuals in Chivalry Bookshelf's Highland Broadsword...

I may be mistaken though.

Is interesting though.
There are a couple of those guards that differ from the ones in I:33, but most of it looks very similar. The image at the top demonstrating that any attack to the legs can be avoided and defeated by taking a step back and cutting or thrusting to your opponents head could just about have been lifted from I:33.

-Grey

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Fri 17 Nov, 2006 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
This is also illustrated in an old book I have: The Art and History of Personal Combat by Arthur Wise 1971, well worth picking up if you can find it.
As Martin pointed out, Highland Broadsword by Mark Rector and Paul Wagner shows exactly the same situations and guards.

Interesting print! Thanks for sharing, Nathan!

Cheers,
Henrik

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: