Go to page 1, 2  Next

Valkyrja Update
To the long-suffering folks waiting for this sword:

Peter could answer this better than I, but I know from the versions that I have seen that he is on at least his fifth or sixth version of the waxes. Being a very intricate design, and Peter being the perfectionist that he is, it is taking a long time to achieve the final effect he is looking for with this piece.

The Valkyrja is on the "short list" of pieces he is working on right now, to be finished (hopefully) before the end of the year. Peter should feel free to chime in and correct me.

Best,

howy
The Valkyrja waxes will be delivered to Albion in December. My goal is to have them finished before christmas.

This hilt is inspired by (very much so) by the famous Sountaka sword found in a womans grave in Finland. It dates to the 11th C, an interesting period when a new religion gained influence and the focus of scandinavia began to turn more towards western europe.
A time of profound change when ancient traditions still lingered.

Working on these waxes has been much more involved than merely carving a pommel of correct weight and pleasing shape. The decorations has introduced a level of complexity that I have never encountered before. The hilt is ot a copy of the original, nore is the dragon knots intended to duplcate the original.
I could not make a copy, since I have not seen the original sword personally, and only have publications of the hilt., instead of personal documentation.
During the development of this hilt I have had to find my own way through an aesthetic code or style, that is completely new for me (as a maker, even though I know the object since my childhood). This has been a learning process, to put it simply.
To just "scribe the lines" will not produce a pleasing result. You have to be ingrained with the feeling, let it filter it through your self and express it in a personal way, to make it a charged and complete work.
This makes this particular project much more involved than any other hilt I have carved so far.
In the end I hope that those who have waited a long time for this hilt does not feel let down. I am striving to make this hilt into something else than a lame pastiche. I try my best to make it into a work with its own merits, even though the famous and fabulous Sountaka sword is the origin and inspiration.

Best
Peter
Howy and Peter,
Thank you for opening this new thread about the Valkyrja, of course I was wrong speaking of it in the chieftain's thread and I apologize for that.
And thank you for the good news of the waxes being delivered soon.
I realize that this is a very special project regarding the intricated patterns and probably an entirely new experience. I was lucky enough to see the original last year at Helsinki and found it absolutely stunning. It is rather a good idea to make something entirely new as is usual in Albion's next gen. recreations process and not a copy , though it requires a particular implication at catching the "spirit" of the hilt. No doubt it will be a great hit as usual and an useful waiting.

Cheers,
Jean
This is another one that doesn't appear to be to my taste but the folks in New Glarus have proven me wrong on that before.
Regardless, I'm very eager to see this one completed as I know what an effort it has been.
I would also like to chime in and offer my thanks for this update. As an enthusiastic customer I'm always interested to read about the ups and downs of the design process (especially when its a piece I'm eagerly awaiting such as this) . I feel it furthers my appreciation of the final sword. :cool:
The valkyria
The Sountaka sword has always been by favorite sword since I first lay may eyes on it, now 15 years ago...

So one questions, is the handle material bronze as on the Sountaka sword (on the sketches of the valkyria, it seems like an traditional handle)?

Good luck with the vax job, I once started trying to replicate the Sountaka hilt, but my results was not good enough so I never finished...
Re: The valkyria
Peter Törlind wrote:
The Sountaka sword has always been by favorite sword since I first lay may eyes on it, now 15 years ago...

So one questions, is the handle material bronze as on the Sountaka sword (on the sketches of the valkyria, it seems like an traditional handle)?

Good luck with the vax job, I once started trying to replicate the Sountaka hilt, but my results was not good enough so I never finished...

No, this is one of the deviations from the original: the grip is not hollow bronze, but the standard for the NG line, wood core and leather wrap.
Re: The valkyria
Peter Törlind wrote:

You could have a look at this link: http://www.nmia.com/~rqpltd/swordfittings.html
The carvings are not bad but the fittings are far too thick.
Looks quite nice
They look nice, but I think your effort is worth waiting for.
As soon as I can see your waxes I will order one Valkyria...
I'm really excited about this one! My best friend can't wait to buy it as well. I hope this isn't considered an inappropriate question (I'm new to the boards so please forgive me if I make a mistake), but is there any way to know how many of these are left? I'm just wondering because I saw that you could reserve one, so I wondered how many of the only 100 Valkyrja swords were still available to reserve? Or am I completely misunderstanding how these things work?

Thank you, Albion, for putting out such lovely sharp and shiney swords. I look forward to the release of this newest addition. :D
Shamsi Modarai wrote:
I'm really excited about this one! My best friend can't wait to buy it as well. I hope this isn't considered an inappropriate question (I'm new to the boards so please forgive me if I make a mistake), but is there any way to know how many of these are left? I'm just wondering because I saw that you could reserve one, so I wondered how many of the only 100 Valkyrja swords were still available to reserve? Or am I completely misunderstanding how these things work?

Thank you, Albion, for putting out such lovely sharp and shiney swords. I look forward to the release of this newest addition. :D

Albion hasn't made them yet, but only taken pre-orders on them. I don't think you have anything at all to worry about them running out any time soon. They will, by all accounts, announce well ahead of time when the numbers are getting close to the limits. I'm guessing it will take years to sell 100 of them.
Thanks....I'm glad I don't have anything to worry about then. :D
Now this is a Viking Sword worth getting very worked up about and excited for in the forthcoming future :!: I would say that everyone will be glad that it took 6 or so waxes to get the pommel and crossguard to where the final product will be.
Some things are just worth that extra time in waiting for and "This" is going to be one of those!

Bob
Any news on the Valkyria?
It is now mid february, any news or prototype pictures on the Valkyria yeat?
Re: Any news on the Valkyria?
Peter Törlind wrote:
It is now mid february, any news or prototype pictures on the Valkyria yeat?

I think that Albion is being very circumspect as to the release date of new swords. I have one (not the Valkyra) that has been on order for over a year and a half and a recent inquiry generated a response that they are in "the middle of a movie deal" and that as soon as that project clears there'll be a "bunch of new steels" coming out. No time-frames were given.
Robert B. Allison wrote:
I think that Albion is being very circumspect as to the release date of new swords. I have one (not the Valkyra) that has been on order for over a year and a half and a recent inquiry generated a response that they are in "the middle of a movie deal" and that as soon as that project clears there'll be a "bunch of new steels" coming out. No time-frames were given.

Guess I should be glad I don't have my money tied up there any more, then. ;)
Robert B. Allison wrote:
I have one (not the Valkyra) that has been on order for over a year and a half and a recent inquiry generated a response that they are in "the middle of a movie deal"

I'm not in the market so maybe my opinion isn't worth much, but that response would have sent me to another manufacturer.
Not to kick up an ant hill here, but in regards to the "movie deal" Albion is working through right now, here is what I remember from when I talked to Mike back at the end of December, just to give everybody perspective on the scale of what's happening behind the scenes.

The movie (can't remember the name; it is a foreign film if memory serves) called for the production of about 400 of their prop swords (meant for large-scale background shots if I heard that right), about 100 of their "hero" swords (full-on fit and finish, meant for use in good closeups and longer screen time), and a boatload of scabbards. I was quoted eight weeks out or better (best guess at the time was mid March for the regular production queue to get rolling again). Of course, this could all have changed - better or worse - since then; I don't know as I haven't harassed Mike lately ;).

Anyway, between this in Q4/Q1, and quietly building two or three of everything currently in production for Albion Europe last spring/summer, needless to say Albion has been quite busy. . . not to mention R&D moving forward to get pieces everyone has been waiting for (and some REALLY cool stuff coming down the pipe, I'm sure, that hasn't even made headlines yet) into production. Add career moves, improvements in production processes, familes, life and stuff. . .

I'm just glad Albion has been busy enough to continue and grow their business, and make a lot of amazing things in a very niche market to make us all very happy. I, for one, am in no hurry, have faith that Albion will deliver on their promises to me, and I have yet to be let down by any sword they have put in my hand. In my limited and humble experience, excellence without compromise is always worth waiting for. :)

. . . Hey, it could be worse. My friend has been trying to find an armourer willing to pick up his custom commission for a late c15th breast and back for almost a year now without luck, let alone even thinking about wait times and a production queue. . .
Sean Flynt wrote:
Robert B. Allison wrote:
I have one (not the Valkyra) that has been on order for over a year and a half and a recent inquiry generated a response that they are in "the middle of a movie deal"

I'm not in the market so maybe my opinion isn't worth much, but that response would have sent me to another manufacturer.

I don't see what's wrong with that response. If they don't know when things will be ready... than they just don't know. The only alternative would be to give a date, and risk people getting pissed if they don't meet that date.
A year and a half is a long time to wait for a sword. That may be why Albion have stopped introducing new swords to their lineup until they are much closer to actually being released. The wait time for my Knight was indicated as a bit longer than I expected, but Mike was totally clear to me about this so I have no complaints.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: