Three LJ Baskets
A couple of English/ Scot baskets, and a Continental hilt........

The Continental hilt is spoken for.........

Attachment: 89.85 KB
IMG_0084_1.jpg

I'll take the bottom right if it's not already sold.

Cheers!
Gus, these are absolutely amazing!

You never cease to amaze me. Keep it up!
Grayson C. wrote:
Gus, these are absolutely amazing!
You never cease to amaze me. Keep it up!

The hilts were created by E.B. Erickson as part of an ongoing collaborative relationship between him and Gus Trim.
Quote:

Darn, it's my favorite of the three!
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:

Darn, it's my favorite of the three!

I think Eljay's schedule is "out there" a ways now, but if you've got patience, and if you really like hte piece, you might check with Eljay about doing something similar. I doubt he'd do exactly the same thing, there's some stuff he likes to do "one off".... but he may very well do something like this again.....

You know, there are times my being "aesthetically challenged" really comes home. I've seen and handled quite a few baskethilts in the last six years, both repro and antique........

I'm a fan of both Erik Stevenson's work, and Vince Evans..... both really do great baskethilts.......

But there's something about Eljay's. His work is real, real art, but even so, he really captures the "feel" of an antique. I've never seen an antique that is as "fine" as what Eljay does {though I'm sure they exist, I just haven't had the honor to have one in hand}..... but Eljay captures the "feel", and still makes it an absolute piece of art......

Coming up with blades for these, really makes me work to try and make the blade worth mounting on those hilts......
I agree, Eljays work really looks "right", if you know what I mean. I can see that continental hilt with some kind of cutlass or kilij blade.
hi gus

which ones are still avalible?
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I agree, Eljays work really looks "right", if you know what I mean. I can see that continental hilt with some kind of cutlass or kilij blade.

I've been trying to decide what to mate with this hilt. Something simple, straight, diamond-sectioned will likely be the choice, but here are some reference photos I've collected showing various things. These hilts are similar and from roughly the same time period. Note that the diversity of blade types for such a hilt range form fullered double-edged blades to cureved sabers and more.

All things considered, I'm leaning at the last blade type shown below.

This historical hilt, circa 1640-50, is a very close match to the replica and perhaps the specific inspiration:

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 15.91 KB
28062.jpg

Attachment: 5.91 KB
28062_b.jpg

Attachment: 26.57 KB
28062_c.jpg

Attachment: 42.75 KB
G25062.jpg

Attachment: 36.68 KB
G25062_a.jpg

Attachment: 45.2 KB
G25683.jpg

Attachment: 35.58 KB
G25683_a.jpg

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

I've been trying to decide what to mate with this hilt. Something simple, straight, diamond-sectioned will likely be the choice, but here are some reference photos I've collected showing various things. These hilts are similar and from roughly the same time period. Note that the diversity of blade types for such a hilt range form fullered double-edged blades to cureved sabers and more.

All things considered, I'm leaning at the last blade type shown below.

This historical hilt, circa 1640-50, is a very close match to the replica and perhaps the specific inspiration:

[ Linked Image ]

i was thinking one of gus' saber blades would look very nice on it...
David Stokes wrote:

Curvature might be right, but the blade style is too 1800s to fit on a hilt like this.
Those hilts look fabulous. Unfortunately, timing and funding don't mesh up for me right now.
Lovely looking all three! :D

I agree with you Nathan, the last blade style would look great. Though I am a bit weak for a couple of those curved ones as well...

Cheers,
Henrik
a bit too
late to get in on this. Which ones are still available

Lee
1571?
Gus
witch one will look best on my 1571sh.

Mike
Re: 1571?
Michael Ahrens wrote:
Gus
witch one will look best on my 1571sh.

Hi Mike-
I'm not Gus, but my two cents are that the two basket-hilts would not look appropriate with a saber blade. The other hilt would be great on a saber blade, but the 1571sh has the configuration and appearance of a blade from the 1800s so it wouldn't mate well, imo.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
David Stokes wrote:

Curvature might be right, but the blade style is too 1800s to fit on a hilt like this.

...........which is a good reason we convince Gus to make another saber blade eh?
David Stokes wrote:
...........which is a good reason we convince Gus to make another saber blade eh?

Hell yeah!

The current saber blades are awesome for what they are. I had a chance to play with one not too long ago and it was a beast. If he's gone the route he's normally gone with developing specific types to see how they work and then moving from there, then this is a good start for curved saber type blades.
nice one for posting those pics Nathan,

those european walloon hilts are gorgeous

cheers

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: