Albion armoury- Mercenary sword
Hi there,

I am new to swords and have no idea where to start.

Having researched a few sites Albion appears to crop up very frequently and reviews appear very positive.

I am considering a Mercenary from Albion as it is within a more modest price bracket for me right now, what advice do you have in regard to this ?

Many thanks

Ian
Welcome aboard!

I have moved this topic to the Historic Arms Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

Cheers
Re: Albion armoury- Mercenary sword
Ian Stafford wrote:
I am considering a Mercenary from Albion as it is within a more modest price bracket for me right now, what advice do you have in regard to this ?

Many thanks

Ian

Ian,
Have you read our review of the Mercenary and its sister sword? http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_conmerc.html

That might be a decent starting point.
Re: Albion armoury- Mercenary sword
Ian Stafford wrote:

Hey Ian,

Welcome to myArmoury! Are you selecting a sword purely based on its price, or is there a specific period you're interested in? Albion certainly has a superb selection for all Medieval tastes. :p

They have several swords that are priced similarly to the Mercenary. Unless you're completely set on purchasing a Mercenary, consider also the Crecy, the Talhoffer, the Agincourt, or the Constable. I believe all of these have been reviewed on this site. BTW, I own a Talhoffer, so I can definitely tell you about that piece.

Single-hand swords within the Mercenary's price point are the Reeve (very popular!), the Hospitaller, the Bayeux, the Norman, the Senlac, the Ritter (another big seller), the Sheriff, the Yeoman, or the Poitiers.

The prices of the ones I've just mentioned do not exceed $700 and are all in production. I hope this helps. Let us know which one you go with. :) -Ted
that sword is a good place to start, good plice and great quality. well worth every penny
The Mercenary is one of the better values in Albion's lineup (the Crecy is another). I found it to be a very handy sword, one-handed or two. I only sold mine because I had had the chance to buy a Sempach, which fits my collecting tastes better (I generally prefer 12th-14th century stuff, with occasional 15th c. thrown in).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: