Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Request for Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another Type XVIa sword would be nice, though I suspect there's probably plans for one. I'd also like to see this sword which I've mentioned in a previous thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxx06.jpg. A cinquedea of some sort would be cool, as would more two handed swords. Finally, I'd like to second the request for a seax; though in truth I have no intention of buying one, I think it is an important addition to the Next Gen line.

Out of curiousity, what is it specifically that attracts people to bronze age swords? Though I've seen several in museums of late, they aren't particularly of interest to me. I admire their unusual profile taper but I have no desire at this point to own a replica of one. Is there an appeal to them that I'm missing?
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps a line of daggers? That would be a dream come true!!

I second the vote for Byzantine weapons!

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Another Type XVIa sword would be nice, though I suspect there's probably plans for one. I'd also like to see this sword which I've mentioned in a previous thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxx06.jpg. A cinquedea of some sort would be cool, as would more two handed swords. Finally, I'd like to second the request for a seax; though in truth I have no intention of buying one, I think it is an important addition to the Next Gen line.

Out of curiousity, what is it specifically that attracts people to bronze age swords? Though I've seen several in museums of late, they aren't particularly of interest to me. I admire their unusual profile taper but I have no desire at this point to own a replica of one. Is there an appeal to them that I'm missing?

Bronze weapons: A certain fascination with the weight and colour of bronze as well as curiosity about performance as a cutter assuming that the edges are work-hardened like period pieces and well sharpened. There were bronze razors so a good edge is possible even if the edge would be less durable at that level of sharpness.

Also, even with a current interest in mostly the Medieval I can at times be interested in swords ( arms ) outside this period from bronze swords to a rapier that I don't have a single example of at the moment.

Finally, I just like bronze swords as " art " objects: Like the aesthetics. Wink

Oh, and I agree with a nice Seax being part of the Albion line as well as a cinquedea or other kinds of large daggers.

Although, I think Albion has to avoid overextending itself and concentrate on getting already proposed but not in production models made. ( Just to fulfill those expectations before creating new ones. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have asked about about daggers. It probably won't happen because the amount of R&D and labour hours is about as much as a sword. That's what I have heard. Not too many people are willing to pay $400 to $600 for a dagger.

I would love to see an Albion rondel though!

Travis
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second the Rondels. cna never have enough rondels. Big Grin

just my $.02,

Aaron
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:
I would also like to see a true Type XIII as depicted in Peter Johnsson's drawing found in the Oakshott article at Albion's website.

http://www.albion-swords.com/articles/oakeshott-typology.htm

The broad blade, double fullers, elongated grip (but not two-handed), flare towards the base of the blade...all very, very nice.

I second Greg. I would buy this sword as soon as it was announced...
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1. Cavalry sabers! Specifically the British Patterns 1796 Light and Heavy, Pattern 1822 Light and the Pattern 1853. (By the way, what happened to the Patton Sword?) Overall though, this class of sword deserves some quality production representation. Happy

2. A Type Xa/XI with the hilt of Type Xa.10.

3. If there's any thought about expanding into other cultures then Chinese swords.

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 01 Dec, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Wish List!!!!         Reply with quote

OOOOOHHHH, a true Germanic Two handed sword with complex guard and parrying hooks.

And a Swiss bastard saber with a complex basket hilt.

And a bastard Katzbalger

And a nice Sottish tea strainer

And a Germanic basket hilt

And, and , and........

Ok, I'll step away from the Baleys.....

Cheers
Dave

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 02 Dec, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if there is any way you can recreate that great guard, the one on XI.5 in Oakeshott's, Records. This is the one with the minimalist beast heads carved at each end of the guard. I guess you would have to mount it on an XI blade.
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to see some more Migration type swords.
Perhaps something along the lines of the Sutton Hoo sword in overall design and proportions, but in a simplified form.

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for Albion         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Here's a quick post,

Albion, Peter, Howy, whoever- please make a single handed high middle age single handed sword with a tea cozy pommel.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Though I imagine Peter, Howard, and crew may be getting a little tired of the constant deluge of requests, I've taken a step back from this thread for over a week now thinking about a serious reply. But, I have to take into account that I am currently not an Albion customer, nor will I be in the near future, as it took me a lot of scrimping and saving in order to buy a discounted, plain-jane ATrim for $300 (which, by the way, is an excellent sword for practicing single-handed cutting technique, IMHO). Needless to say, it may not necessarily be in Albion's best interest to act on my own personal desires.

What I've decided to do instead is take a look at the sword market as-is and identify the current gaps. I'm also limiting my suggestions to medieval examples, as my taste and knowledge gets fairly cloudy outside the 11th-15th centuries...

1) A Type XIII, as per the one many others on this thread have been suggesting. Those who love beefy cutters will certainly go ape over it. I think this one presents a solid business case.

2) An early-medieval singlehander with a Tea-Cozy pommel. Making it with the same blade as the Reeve and Bayeaux would certainly be an obvious choice, though I think we can add a little more unique-ness to it by making a special blade, of, say, Type XIa. I think a slightly slimmer, more acute variant, like the XIa showed in THIS PICTURE from this very website would be a good choice.

3) A BIG Type XIV. I once scoffed at the notion of a hand-and-a-half Type XIV, but then I saw the sketch Peter drew for a custom job for one of the forumites (Jeff Ellis, if I remember correctly?), and I had to say it was unique and it was beautiful. An alternative would be a larger single-handed XIV like the one in the center of THIS PICTURE, again, from some obscure, sword-related website Wink Perhaps it could feature a 5" grip, like some XVIIIa's? I'd recommend keeping the subtle flare before the cross, as it does a beautiful job of setting off the curved taper of the blade.

4) A Type XVIIIc. I had also considered suggesting an XVIIId, but it might interfere too much with the single-handed XIX's, which seem to fill the same functional gap...

5) A Type XIX bastard sword with a symmetrical 4-ring hilt. Erik Stevensson did a few of these back in the day-- so did Christian Fletcher when he first started out as a cutler, but I haven't seen any for quite some time now.

6) Even though my interest pretty much ends with the XVIII's, a Type XXI or XXII with a Spanish-flavored hilt might hit a substantial market niche...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has anyone suggested an estoc yet? If not, they'd be a good addition, especially given that they are not well represented in the market for replicas.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Request for Albion
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: