Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Discerner follows me home (photos) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, M. It's very good to be back. Happy
"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Hal Zucati

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jim!
Rarely do I get the chance to talk to one of my heroes direclty... or as direclty as this format will allow.

1. I own a Discerner special edition.
2. I own a Discerner scabbard from Albion.

I have the following questions.

1. What does the tip of YOUR Discerner look like?
2. What does the fuller of YOUR Discerer look like?
3. Do you have a scabbard? If so what does it look like?
4. Have you ever used your Discerner for cutting?

Is there any way I could persuade you to autograph some part of my sword display or other paperwork?

Sorry to have so many questions all at once... just thrilled to see you online and well. I hope your accident is in the past.

Best.

- Hal
Max J Easom

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Discerner         Reply with quote

Hi Phil Like the photys love the Sword. An Albion Museum line by the stamp .I have just bought my first museum line Sword myself .So i understand how you feel about the quality the finish in fact i understand .Its a wonderful Sword .What i don't understand is my eyesight .I have been dealing with Albion for a few years .I go through there Second generation list followed by there museum line about as often as most folk blink.But i have never seen a Discerner in all my viewings .Was it a private commission ?.If so Im releved if not where have i been looking .Thats a lustful Sword Phil .Would you swop it ? Im jesting Bro congradulations thats a beutiful work of art. Max
I'am your servant I'am your guard .I wont desert you for Gold or reward. Keep me beside you closer than wife.I'am your Sword I'am your life
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Discerner         Reply with quote

Max J Easom wrote:
I go through there Second generation list followed by there museum line about as often as most folk blink.But i have never seen a Discerner in all my viewings .Was it a private commission ?

It's one of their Special Editions, accessible from Albion's homepage just like the NG and Museum lines. In fact, Discerner's hilt is the thumbnail they use for that line.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Max J Easom

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Discerner         Reply with quote

Good afternoon Chad .Once again I'm bollixed by inexperience. I've been using Albion Europe's website as my catalog for a long time. I knew that there was a parent company in America. In-fact in 2006/7 i phoned them to enquire about buying my first Albion Sword. To be informed that i needed to contact their european branch .I never looked at that site again .And i cannot find a special edition page on Albion Europe. Thank you for the information i will have to broaden my horizons and look father than my own backyard. I think i lust after that blade its braw. Max
I'am your servant I'am your guard .I wont desert you for Gold or reward. Keep me beside you closer than wife.I'am your Sword I'am your life
Ryan McLaurin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max, I believe you will find Discerner listed on Albion's Filmswords.com site. I don't know if there is a link from the Albion Europe site or not.
Max J Easom

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Discerner         Reply with quote

Wotcher Ryan FilmSwords! FilmSwords! You tell me about FilmSwords .I'm an English pensioner for Gods sake .After gorden brown has finished with my pension. I'd be lucky to afford a secound/hand ticket for the cinema .At $2 a gallon I cant even afford to drive there. Ok Ryan I'm just having a joke .No sorry mate No filmswords on Albion Europe either. But its somewhere else for me to look. And when i can afford it so it will be.Thankyou Ryan .Max
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hal Zucati wrote:
Jim!
Rarely do I get the chance to talk to one of my heroes direclty... or as direclty as this format will allow.

1. I own a Discerner special edition.
2. I own a Discerner scabbard from Albion.

I have the following questions.

1. What does the tip of YOUR Discerner look like?
2. What does the fuller of YOUR Discerer look like?
3. Do you have a scabbard? If so what does it look like?
4. Have you ever used your Discerner for cutting?

Is there any way I could persuade you to autograph some part of my sword display or other paperwork?

Sorry to have so many questions all at once... just thrilled to see you online and well. I hope your accident is in the past.

Best.

- Hal

Hi, Hal ...
Please forgive the long tardiness of my reply ... I'm finally back up and around again after a pretty severe setback with that old injury.

The photos below (taken from Albion's Discerner pages) are photos of my own Discerner that I have. I have a newer camera now that takes better photos and I will try to get you some updated shots showing the tip up close and the fuller. This, however, will give you a good idea of what my Discerner looks like. I also included one more photo of me with the sword and it sort of shows the fuller pretty well.

I also have the first "rough" prototype that Albion created of Discerner which was created based entirely on descriptions in emails and, though there were several tweaks that had to be made in that first prototype because it was made from only verbal descriptions, they did a very good job on it and had it nearly accurate. Once I was able to get them a copy of the 1958 tracing of the sword from the original painting, the second prototype was dead on perfect. They really do great work!

Due to the setback with my accident, I've been out of touch with Albion (I'm very eager to talk to Mike again and see how things are going now that I'm "back in the world of the living"), so I was surprised seeing that you have a scabbard for it. I was unaware that a Discerner scabbard had been made ... thus, I do not have one for my sword (but would love to get one for sure!).

As far as cutting, I haven't used my "accurate" Discerner for cutting (at least yet), but I have used the first rough prototype for cutting and it did very well! I successfully shopped limbs up to an inch thick off of a buddy's oak tree, chopped down some small sapling trees up to an inch thick and then, after all that abuse of cutting wood, chopped through tatami mats and pool noodles without difficulty. The blade remained unblemished and the edge is still like new. Now that I'm more fragile again from that setback with my accident, I can't really swing the sword effectively (despite its light weight), so my cutting experiments are over with.

I've not had anyone ask me for my autograph before regarding Discerner, but I would be happy to sign or autograph something for you. Back in the beginnings of the Discerner project I sent some masters for a Certificate of Authenticity to Albion and I'm not sure if they're using my certificate design or have opted for a design of their own. I've not seen one of the certificates sent out to those who acquire a Discerner. However, I can print up one of my masters, sign that and send it to you if you'd like. I would need which number of sword you have (for example, number 4 of 1000) in order for the certificate to be accurate. Please feel free to contact me through email and I'd be happy to speak of it with you. Happy

Take care, and I apologize again for the tardiness in my response to your post ... I've just been out of circulation for quite awhile.

Attachment: 33.56 KB
D-1.jpg

Attachment: 16.62 KB
D-2.jpg

Attachment: 55.35 KB
Jim-Discerner 1.jpg

"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
David Spencer

PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jim glad to hear your on the mend.
After reading your tales on "Discerner" I showed my girlfreind, she was crying by the end and now she is making me get a Discerner sword in the new year. If only all my sword purchases could be that easy. thanks for bringing a tear to her eye and a glint to mine, this has to be one off my all time favorite swords.
Dave

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Discerner follows me home (photos)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: