Artillery Manuals
Does anyone know of any manuals/manuscripts which deal with the artillery up to and including the English Civil War that are available online. facsimilies are preferable.

Thank you.

Martin.
Martin;

Off hand I don't know of any artillery manuals on-line, but you might consult Mr. Barry Siler, who put together this siege warfare website: http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/features/siege/index.html He may have some suggestions for you.

There is a book entitled "The Young Artilleryman" from the early 17th Century, but as I recall, it hardly touches upon artillery, but focuses rather on the soldierly arts of musketry and the like.

Good luck,

Gordon
Some period documents to search on are

The Arte of Shooting in Great Ordinance - William Bourne

A Brief Discourse Concerning the effect of manual weapons of Fire - Humfrey Barwick

Three Bookes concerning the shooting of great and small artillery - Niccol Tartaglia

Markam has some artillery in one of his books, if I remember correctly (I'll have to look that one up). I know there are a couple others, but my records are at home right now. Otherwise I seriously recommend checking the site Gordon mentioned and contacting those fine folks. The RMS has done great work so far in helping out the cause for understanding military practice of the time period.
Chris;

Thank you for your kind words! We're trying! :D

Allons!

Gordon

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: