Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 14th Century English Short Sword (Single Edged) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow that is something new! The first time I see this kind of sword.I have still plenty to learn indeed Wink Do you know any similar examples for the 15 century?
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Joe Maccarrone

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Realistically the price to forge-weld, heat treat, polish, and haft a bearded axe is close to $800-1000. When you take a large Danish style axe with forge-welded edge steel, the price could go up another $200.

I'm just the sort of oddball who would drop a grand on an axe -- but you know that about me already. I did, in fact, spend $900 on a Vince Evans Danish, and it won't be the last expensive axe in my collection... Big Grin
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Hill wrote:
Eric, do you recall any info on the buckler that is with the sword in Leeds?

I'm sorry, Dan, I do not remember many details about the buckler. I know I saw it, but honestly, I was focused on swords and daggers when were there. I went through the gallery after we had been in the storeroom for most of the day. I had only a few hours because we had to get back to London.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Yes         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Wow that is something new! The first time I see this kind of sword.I have still plenty to learn indeed Wink Do you know any similar examples for the 15 century?

Oh yes, there are a number of examples including one that was near this 14th century sword. Often times, they appear to be "double edged" but only one side is sharpened, and many times the hilt is such that it can only be held one way...making it a single-edged sword. The one that was near the 14th C single-edged look quite interesting. I'll try to get a picture up for you. I have plans to make a 15th century single-edged sword sometime in the future, but I need to finish a number of projects first. So many plans and not enough time...sigh.

Peter has seen a number of these type sword too...maybe he can elaborate.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.

Last edited by Eric McHugh on Thu 16 Nov, 2006 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Maccarrone wrote:
Eric McHugh wrote:
Realistically the price to forge-weld, heat treat, polish, and haft a bearded axe is close to $800-1000. When you take a large Danish style axe with forge-welded edge steel, the price could go up another $200.

I'm just the sort of oddball who would drop a grand on an axe -- but you know that about me already. I did, in fact, spend $900 on a Vince Evans Danish, and it won't be the last expensive axe in my collection... Big Grin

You said, "oddball." Happy

Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Sword Eric......

Just as a by you leave, and something to ponder over when it comes to "historical accuracy", and historical plausibility, there was a thread three or four years ago on SFI that discussed a 15th century katzbalger that featured a pattern welded blade. No known date on the blade, could be 15th century {my feeling}, could be a survivor of an earlier period remounted......

If I had the time, I'd see about looking it up, if memory serves me right, there was at least one photo............

swords are fun
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Very nice Sword Eric......

Just as a by you leave, and something to ponder over when it comes to "historical accuracy", and historical plausibility, there was a thread three or four years ago on SFI that discussed a 15th century katzbalger that featured a pattern welded blade. No known date on the blade, could be 15th century {my feeling}, could be a survivor of an earlier period remounted......

If I had the time, I'd see about looking it up, if memory serves me right, there was at least one photo............

I don't know if it is the same sword or not, but there is a pattern-welded katzbalger in Archaeology of Weapons (it's in the plates, but I don't remember which one) that Oakeshott said was an earlier blade rehilted. I don't know if his opinion changed on that matter, though.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Yes         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Michal Plezia wrote:

Oh yes, there are a number of examples including one that was near this 14th century sword. Often times, they appear to be "double edged" but only one side is sharpened, and many times the hilt is such that it can only be held one way...making it a single-edged sword. The one that was near the 14th C single-edged look quite interesting. I'll try to get a picture up for you. I have plans to make a 15th century single-edged sword sometime in the future, but I need to finish a number of projects first. Some many plans and not enough time...sigh.

Peter has seen a number of these type sword too...maybe he can elaborate.

Thanks Cool

Do you have any pictures to post here?

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Scabbard Pics         Reply with quote

Just finished the scabbard, so here are some pictures of the whole suite.

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks really nice, Eric. Out of curiousity, what prompted you to go with the semi-circular flap at the mouth? Most of the artwork I have seen from the 14th century shows the triangular flaps. The semi-circular ones appear to have been a bit earlier. I'm not trying to say you are wrong; there may be ample evidence that I am simply not aware of.

-Grey

Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Looks really nice, Eric. Out of curiousity, what prompted you to go with the semi-circular flap at the mouth? Most of the artwork I have seen from the 14th century shows the triangular flaps. The semi-circular ones appear to have been a bit earlier. I'm not trying to say you are wrong; there may be ample evidence that I am simply not aware of.

-Grey

While there seems to be many examples of the triangle throat, there are example in art of the rounded throat too. I've learned that when it comes to medieval or even Viking stuff, there is always variation. Basically, I just thought that the rounded throat went better with the piece. Happy

Dan Hill

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done Eric. I especially like the design on the scabbard tip.
There is much pictorial evidence of single hand swords and bucklers used as a set. There is even the I33 giving instruction on the use of sword and buckler. Have you given thought to completing the 'set' with a buckler?

Dan Hill
Dum ducitur halpschilt, cade sub gladium quoque scutum.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Hill wrote:
Well done Eric. I especially like the design on the scabbard tip.
There is much pictorial evidence of single hand swords and bucklers used as a set. There is even the I33 giving instruction on the use of sword and buckler. Have you given thought to completing the 'set' with a buckler?

I've never tried making armour items. Perhaps I will in the future. Happy

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:

-Grey

While there seems to be many examples of the triangle throat, there are example in art of the rounded throat too. I've learned that when it comes to medieval or even Viking stuff, there is always variation. Basically, I just thought that the rounded throat went better with the piece. Happy

Makes sense. It definately does look good. I also like the belt loop looking suspension. That is something I hadn't considered much. Keep up the good work.

-Grey

Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric it is always a great pleasure to see the photography of work you have done! So much talent, heart and soul is put forth into your craftsmanship!

Bob
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very, very nice work Eric. That has a beautifully understated look to it when it's in the scabbard, yet the PW'd blade gives it just the right touch of jazz. I like the rounded throat too, it goes well with the curved shape of the pommel. Cool!
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric, that has got to be about the coolest custom piece I have seen in a while! I have been wanting to do a 15th c single-edged sword for my next project and I was very inspired by your beautiful work. Personally, I love the PW. Aside from the katzbalger example, there are some Scandinavian PW sword blades made as late as the 13th c and though not technically PW, at least one of the Mary Rose swords had a steel skin wrapped around a wrought iron core.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anybody has a picture of a sword we can see just the tip part of in the picture with that single edged shortsword and buckler?
Christian G. Cameron

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Superb. But the photos aren't working for me--at least the scabbard photos.
Christian G. Cameron

Qui plus fait, miex vault

www.hippeis.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 14th Century English Short Sword (Single Edged)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: