Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword accuracy in worksmanship Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Sword accuracy in worksmanship         Reply with quote

Just a question.

How accurate can or shoul a sword be when the blank was milled by CNC an then ground by hand as finishing? Asking for the corner or the center of the fuller to the edge. What dimension would you give it a tolerance.

Just for example left is about 1mm wider than right or something like that. For a price of a 600$ single handed sword.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A sword made from a CNC milled blank can be very accurate, but the degree of accuracy will vary depending on the wear of the tools. Even with a CNC machine there is a lot of hands on tweaking to compensate for tool wear and fixtures.
With the hand grinding, you will normally see some slight blurring of lines and perhaps a dip or shift somewhere. A skilled grinder will compensate small mistakes as he goes along to final finish so that little remains on the finished blade.
A skilled grinder can also bring out details that are not present in the blank, making the finished blade crisper and better defined. In this porcess you gain detail an definition but might lose some symmetry. Does this explanation make any sense?
Even the blank itself can sometimes show some slight ofsets as it comes of the CNC. With long, thin lengths of flexible steel, this can happen. With some types more than others as the milling tools will apply some preassure on the material.

In historical times an asymmetry of 1 mm would not have bothered a customer of the time in the least. Many originals show even greater asymmetry with undulating edges and crooked or snaking fullers.
We modern enthusiasts have a different frame of mind however. Contemporary swords are compared to machine perfect products.

It is also a question of how this assymmerty shows itself. Is there a general indistinct wavyness and blurring of lines and planes, or a slight shift in an otherwise nicely finished blade?
Does the bade as a whole look nicely done, with attention to lines and surfaces, or is the finish uneven or careless?

Grinding a fuller, keeping it centered and even takes some training to master. When you handgrind it is almost inevitable there will be some slight dips, if you look really closely.
I always go over my blades with stones and sanding blocks to take out all dips and waves. That is why I spend a day or two just polishing the fullers in a blade. My blades does not cost 600 USD, however.
I have seen Joe and Jason at work at Albion: they will get very consistent results and do it at an impressive speed. They are still doing their work by hand so there can be signs of this in the finished blade. The start and end of the fuller are especially sensitive. Here is where the slightest mistake will show most clearly, so this is looked to with the most attention.

If there is an overall ofset of about 1 mm along the whole blade, it is probably not a result of the handgrinding, but an off-set in the milling. Just my first guess.

I donīt know if this reply is at all helpful.
If you find the ofset in your blade disturbing, you should probably talk to the maker. The maker would be best placed to provide an answer.
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Observation

Not owning any swords myself but taking careful note of discussions regarding Albion swords on this forum, I've noticed that there have been some comments in the direction of irregularities between the same sword and between the same blade on different swords in the Albion lineup. What I am not talking about is the difference between the blade on the new Earl vs the blade on the old Regent. As stated elswhere, this is an intentional change by Albion and all subsequent Regents should have the new blade as well.

What I am talking about is irregularities in production that might affect and produce slight variations in handling. Basically, not two swords are alike or feel just alike. That is my question, at least. [Again, let me state my inexperiance in handling first hand different Albion swords. This is only observation and speculation.] For example, the reviews of the Mercenary and Constable swords suggest that "The Mercenary seems to be just a tick slower than the Constable, though the difference is slight." In the reviews between the Landgraf and Sempach, "While still being similar in feel, the major difference is that the Sempach has more blade presence, and feels a bit livelier in the cut, while the Landgraf feels just slightly steadier in the thrust." And the Prince and Squire review, "While these swords share the same blade, they handle quite differently, due mainly to the difference in the swords' Points of Balance. The farther PoB of the Squire lends a little extra blade presence to that sword, while the Prince feels livelier in the hand."

I am sure that between the two swords at hand during the time of any particular review, the opinions of variations are accurate. But how far can we go to suggest that any particular sword is representative of all of the swords of that design and make? And if variations of enough significance exist to create noticable handling differences between the same blades, how far can we go to suggest that comparisons between different hilt components on the same blade are significant or even reliable?

I guess the next logical question would be, how much impact do hilt components have in relationship to the handling characteristics of any particular sword?
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:
Observation

...And if variations of enough significance exist to create noticable handling differences between the same blades, how far can we go to suggest that comparisons between different hilt components on the same blade are significant or even reliable?

I guess the next logical question would be, how much impact do hilt components have in relationship to the handling characteristics of any particular sword?

Excuse my cutting of your text....

There is enough individuality between handmade swords that if you have two examples side by side, there may be slight differences between the two. If you are concentrating on the minute aspects of handling charactersitics, you can indeed note some slight differences.
The difference s not so big that it is glaring. It is noticeable if you really are tying your best to be aware of charactersitics and possible differences. It is on a scale that i practical use it has little impact.

Most of this comes down to variances resulting from the hand finishing of all the parts, but can also be a result of some slight variances in the milled blank and the cast pommel.

A variance of pommel weights within some 10 grams results in changes that can be noted if you really focus on it (this is perhaps possible in normal production). A difference of 30-50 grams makes for a change like between night and day (this would be the result of a complete change to another pommel).
Sword blades will also vary in weight depending on the freshness of belts, sharpness of milling tools and the daily status of the grinder. All this taken together will result in a degree of individuality between swords.

Any design will still have a specific "signature" character. Any example of the swords in the NG line will share their characteritcs with other swords of the same model. If you compare two or more swords of the same model side by side, you could well notice some slight differences, however.
The differences in character between different models are much greater and of another kind or scale.
The variance between individuals are on the scale of fractions of milimeters. This will have effect on volume and mass in the pommel and mass in the point section of the sword. It is this small amount of variance that lead to small but noticeable differences in the feel of individual swords.
In practical use of swords, this variance has no real effect, but it is good to be aware that swords are always going to be individual to a certain degree whenever a fair amount of handwork is involved in their making.
Felix R.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok then I will just name it. And as Peter already dropped in, with indeed all aspects going directly to answer my question, thank you, I will name the sword.
Itīs the Albion Sherriff I got today.

At first I must say, that this sword with its short broad blade is plane and impressive.

Then what I first noticed after closer inspection was that the "leaf" shape at the base is a little wider on one side. Following the fuller to itīs extinction I noticed a slight offset from the crisp edge of the fuller to the edge of the blade to one side by app. 1 mm to the right on both sides, so when you just twist the sword longitudinally its about 1mm to the right again.
The ending of the fuller might be really a difficult part, but in this case it just depends on the light, wether it looks a little off or not, so I assume its just imagination. But for the rest, what do you think. I am sure my girlfriend wouldnīt see it when I show her tomorrow.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:
What I am talking about is irregularities in production that might affect and produce slight variations in handling. Basically, not two swords are alike or feel just alike. That is my question, at least. [Again, let me state my inexperiance in handling first hand different Albion swords. This is only observation and speculation.] For example, the reviews of the Mercenary and Constable swords suggest that "The Mercenary seems to be just a tick slower than the Constable, though the difference is slight." In the reviews between the Landgraf and Sempach, "While still being similar in feel, the major difference is that the Sempach has more blade presence, and feels a bit livelier in the cut, while the Landgraf feels just slightly steadier in the thrust." And the Prince and Squire review, "While these swords share the same blade, they handle quite differently, due mainly to the difference in the swords' Points of Balance. The farther PoB of the Squire lends a little extra blade presence to that sword, while the Prince feels livelier in the hand."

Hilt components can have a large impact on handling. In the cases of those pairs of swords you mentioned, I'm pretty certain they weren't designed to feel or handle exactly the same. They represent different things. If the weight of the fittings is different or if mass is distributed differently, they will likely feel different.

In the case of the Mercenary and Constable, there is a difference in weight between the swords, and the guards have mass in different places. That affects handling. If you removed the guards would the be the same? Who knows.

For the Squire and Prince you have differently shaped components and guards and use different metals (bronze is heavier than steel of the same size).

A better way to check consistency would be to compare two of the same model made to the same specs (meaning not with different version of the same blade like new Regent blade vs. old).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Felix R.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gosh, my girlfriend recognized the offset. So itīs that obvious I will send the sword back. Itīs a pity, the harmonics were really nice.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did you hand the sword to your girlfriend and ask, "What's wrong with it?" or "See this........?" The question might make a difference in the response. Wink

Even though a blade is milled on a CNC machine it will still be finished by hand. None of the swords in my collection are perfect, regardless of who made them, custom or production. As I said in another thread, if you absolutely can't stand any sort of variance you need to find another hobby.

That being said, only you can decide what is acceptable to you and what isn't. It's your money and if you aren't happy with the product you should return it to the manufacturer and seek satisfaction of one form or another. Don't let anyone else dictate that for you.

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Wed 08 Nov, 2006 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have an antique sword which handles great and is superbly made. it also has very, very slight curves in its edge lines and in the central ridge (it's of diamond cross section). these are not imperfections - remember these things were made by the living breathing hands of craftsmen - not by robots. the slight deviations in the straghtness of the lines detracts nothing from handling or aesthetic qualities and just goes to give it that bit of individuality which sets each well made sword apart from every other - its fingerprints you could say. mechanically straight lines are not historically accurate, rather, harmonious and elegant proportions coupled with majestic handling are the hallmarks of the original pieces and those genuine 're-creations' which issue from the hands of a few craftsmen today.

cheers, adam
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I won't repeat much of what has been said. Suffice to say that my thoughts follow Peter and Patrick in spirit. I did want to comment, though, in particular on my Squire Line Knightly sword. I've personally had at least half a dozen of these in hand (my own included) and whether it was how the hilt came together, the blade was ground, or a bit of both, the one I own is the nicest feeling in hand out of all of them - even feels better to me than some of the NG Knights I've swung around. Not a huge difference, mind, but more than enough for me to take notice. I was looking to finance another project a while back and the SLK was potentially on the block. I decided against selling it (much to the dismay of one of my good friends who has made claim to it should I ever sell it) because in the end although I could replace it, I just knew I would never find another one exactly like it.

Without the variances in final production processes, I would have passed along a sword of an overall design which I thought was "okay". I would have also missed a chance to own a sword that surprised me and that I really enjoy. Heck, I even tried talking Mike into bringing it back into the shop to finish it up to full "next gen" dress.

Is it perfect? Nope, not even close. But that is the whole point. Happy
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Peter,

You mention how different swords of the same model in the NG line may handle slightly differently. Does this extend to the Museum Line. I have ordered a Solingen and hope that it will be extremely close in term of volumes and handling to the prototype, and thus to the original. Is a higher degree of consistency aimed for in the Museum Line?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse, but I actually like minor imperfections or differences in my swords, guns or any other tool I own. Sameness and perfection in tools to me are hallmarks of the unimaginative mind and reside in the sterility and blandness of industrialized society and not in the realm of creative artistry. So if your sword is perfect with no blemishes, imperfections or differences than any other of the same model...then you have a bland industrial tool and not a work of art.

I now have seven swords, which is a small collection compared to many on this list, and each and every one contains some imperfection or mark that separates it from any other sword of the same model I have or may see in the future. To me that indicates personality and a possessive mark of pride to me and not a blemish on its quality.

In fact, on some of my swords such as my Lutel, each and every mark, nick or scratch brings back to me an incident in its use or a property of the sword's "personality" that to me brings back fond memories of when I have used it in sparing or fights. I know with a good degree of certainty now where each of those marks was made or how each nick must of happened in a fight. That's part of owning a good tool that you use for defense, it tells a story of life and death (metaphorically speaking of course) and how it has served you well in its use.

I too have acquired swords with some "imperfections" on them, but if you look upon these imperfections as "personality marks" or unique identifiers of your sword and not as faults then you gain a good insight into the uniqueness of your weapon and not into nagging doubts on its use. For me, if a sword's imperfection doesn't affect it's handling or use then it's a "personality trait" and not a problem at all.

A good example would be my expensive Tinker which has a bit of an unequal taper towards the tip and small "nip" at the end of a fuller down one side that bulges out a bit more than the other. Does it affect the superb handling of this sword? NOT AT ALL! It is still one of the sweetest blades I have ever handled and I wouldn't dream of sending it off for "correction" for any reason whatsoever!

So cherish your sword's differences. Or as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and enjoy your sword.

Bryce Felperin
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
I won't repeat much of what has been said. Suffice to say that my thoughts follow Peter and Patrick in spirit. I did want to comment, though, in particular on my Squire Line Knightly sword. I've personally had at least half a dozen of these in hand (my own included) and whether it was how the hilt came together, the blade was ground, or a bit of both, the one I own is the nicest feeling in hand out of all of them - even feels better to me than some of the NG Knights I've swung around.

"This is my sword. There are many like it, but this one is mine" Big Grin

I own an NG knight, which lives in my living room at the moment in a position where it gets looked at frequently. It lives in it's scabbard and gets pulled out every few days, partly to make sure there's no corrosion etc (my current house is quite damp), and partly because I just like it Happy

Now my knight is a superbly built sword, make no mistake, but there are minor imperfections -- a little wobble in one of the fullers, a minor imperfection in the pommel etc, and I have come to know them well through a year of owning the sword. They never bothered me in the beginning but now if they went away I think it would actually detract from the overall look of the sword. One of the things I love about the sword is that it looks like it was made by humans, more specifically that it looks like it was competently executed by highly skilled humans, but humans nonetheless and it lends it something indefinable that I really, really like.

I have been thinking of aquiring another sword in the next year or so, I *really* want a mid 14th century hand and a half sword (tossing up between a Landgraf and an A&A Black prince depending on the $$s) and looking at detailed pictures of various swords online I realised that all of the ones I particularly like have this human touch in some way or another. Some are machine perfect and sterile and others don't quite get the cast components right - especially the ones trying to reproduce the look of something which would be forged - and both of these things have put me off swords that would otherwise be perfect.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even if the two individual swords being compared are the same brand and model of blade, some forum members have commented within the past week that a particular scabbard does not fit two different swords given the same basic blade (different hilt and pommels.)

This is an example of how final precision (fitting with high quality precision into the furniture or a scabbard) comes down to fractions of a thousandth of an inch. A large degree of the final quality in the more premium priced swords is hand fitted. The CNC takes a lot of the initial labor costs out. But the final threshold of $600 USD or higher quality finished product is still "an art" based on hand craftsmanship and experience.

If parts are being produced in hundreds of thousands (car engine cylinders, pistons, etc.) there is an option to sort the parts statistically to match best fit assemblies. That is not really a viable option for swords being produced at the rate of a few dozen a month.

I think the quality versus price in the brand already mentioned in this thread is exceptional when the low numbers being produced, and the type of personal craftsmanship dedication required to pull it off is considered.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

People's expectations vary widely in this regard. Most people will tolerate some evidence of hand-crafting, but not everyone tolerates the same amount. We all draw the line differently between "nuances of hand-crafting" and "sloppiness." Please note that I'm not speaking in generalities and not implying Felix's sword is or isn't up to snuff. It's not my sword and I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on it.

Something to consider: the blade of my Vince Evans dirk is hand-crafted: forged, then ground a bit and polished. Its lines are more clean than any CNC-milled or otherwise ground sword I've ever owned, but it still has character. Hand-crafting doesn't always result in unevenness. Perfection of line doesn't always result in sterility of appearance, either. The blade of my Evans ballock dagger shows a (very) little hand-work "variation" but is still damn impressive considering it was forged and ground completely by hand. I have no issues with it.

I have more reasonable tolerances than some people, but less than others. Most everything I own exhibits some of that natural "variation." It doesn't really bother me.

I actually like my Sovereign a little more now that a blade nick has been repaired and the finish on the guard and pommel has been taken to a more matte finish. It gives it the look of something that has been used but maintained, even though it hasn't earned that look from being on a campaign or battlefield.

But that's just me. We all have different standards. For example, some might not have minded the nick in the Sovereign's blade at all. Others would have still been upset even after it was fixed, since it is now slightly different side-to-side.

The buyer/owner has to be happy with their purchase. We can offer advice on what's acceptable for each of us, but at the end of the day, it's a very personal decision and one they have to live with.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
People's expectations vary widely in this regard. Most people will tolerate some evidence of hand-crafting, but not everyone tolerates the same amount. We all draw the line differently between "nuances of hand-crafting" and "sloppiness." Please note that I'm not speaking in generalities and not implying Felix's sword is or isn't up to snuff. It's not my sword and I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on it.

Something to consider: the blade of my Vince Evans dirk is hand-crafted: forged, then ground a bit and polished. Its lines are more clean than any CNC-milled or otherwise ground sword I've ever owned, but it still has character. Hand-crafting doesn't always result in unevenness. Perfection of line doesn't always result in sterility of appearance, either. The blade of my Evans ballock dagger shows a (very) little hand-work "variation" but is still damn impressive considering it was forged and ground completely by hand. I have no issues with it.

For me this depends on the nature of the object. The medieval kit I am slowly accumulating is intended to be everyday working equipment, things which are of reasonable quality but are still everyday things not perfect or extravagantly decorated. This doesn't mean they are necessarily sloppy or ill-fitting or cheap but I have no doubt that period objects had their own imperfections in various ways, and that the price you paid for them reflected that.

I'm in the process of making a bollock dagger with help from a knifemaker friend. It is my second ever knife (we won't talk about my first unusable attempt years ago) and if I can get it ending up looking like a competently made piece of everyday cutlery I'll be very very happy, though that is by no means guaranteed Happy

I would hold my equipment to different standards if I were trying to put together the equipment of a prince or a wealthy baron, or if I were simply ordering extremely high-quality custom work for a modern collection (one day, wife and lotteries allowing!). Judging by the pictures of your Vince Evans bollock dagger, it falls into that latter category, it is a beautiful piece of high-end kit and the standards are different up there.

Tolerance for imperfection varies both with the person and with the nature of the item being considered.

Quote:

The buyer/owner has to be happy with their purchase. We can offer advice on what's acceptable for each of us, but at the end of the day, it's a very personal decision and one they have to live with.

Well said!

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Felix R.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As you als said, slight imperfections are no problem, but when the fuller deviates to the right by about 1mm on both sides, it makes a total deviation of 2mm and it looks strange, when one edge is wider than the other.

And probably this was part of my question from the beginning, is there a range of tolerance that is reasonable on the higher end of the production market swords depending on the processing? Peter already defined some aspects.

With my Crecy everything is fine, there some slight grinding mark, some very small pittings in the pommel, this I wouldnīt consider a problem at all.

Thanks for all your comments shedding light on the whole thing.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello Peter,

You mention how different swords of the same model in the NG line may handle slightly differently. Does this extend to the Museum Line. I have ordered a Solingen and hope that it will be extremely close in term of volumes and handling to the prototype, and thus to the original. Is a higher degree of consistency aimed for in the Museum Line?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

I saw that you have your own Solingen sword and I understand that you now wonder in what ways it relates to the original.

To give a really good answer to that question, I need to retell the whole filosophy of the museum line.
Iīlll describe it as well as I can:
The swords are built on detailed measurements on originals, swords that I have held myself and spent some time with. The personal experience is the key here. Just measurements will tell you important things, but if you want to capture something of the personality of the weapon it is crucial that you have had opportunity to hold it yourself and seen it with your own eyes.
The measurements you can get depends on what you look for and how and where you measure. The measurements are exact, but not objective: it all depends on how you relate to the object you measure. With a worn and rusted original it is all in what your eye seek and how you interpret the remains. These measurements are showing irregularities themselves as the weapons are worn and damaged to begin with.
I have to extrapolate a good "normal" from them. I do this by careful analyze and comparisons with other weapons of similar type. The data I work with are unique: you cannot read this in books, but collect it yourself. The reconstruction of a sword is a lengthy process. I need to verify all my extrapolations back and forth: is the solution realistic? Does it comply with the measurements of the original sword? Could a weapon looking like this become like the original after time and use has worn it down?
Does my reconstuction do justice to the quality, character and handling of the original?

When I have reached a good reconstruction, I then have established normal values for the sword.
Still, every sword made will in some respects be individual weapons (with very, very small differences).
The true value in the museum line swords is that they relate to single specific originals that have been very carefully analyzed with the goal to add as little as possible and only in such a way that the result is in the spirit of the original.
Whith a large number of number of known detials the re-making of the sword becomes that more demanding: there are more details to be aware of. In the end the result will yeild swords that are very close to the original, but yes, there will still be some variances. A weapon that is completely free of uneveness and irregularities would *not* be in the spirit of the original. If all the Solingen swords of the Mueum Line were like space ship parts, the character of the original would be lost along the way.
At its time, the Solingen was almost certainly made as one individual in a grop of swords to be delivered. This was a normal way to organize production. The other swords in this group has not survived to our time.
Only one remain. If we had the other swords with us, they would show wastly greater variance between them than the Museum Line Solingen swords do. We could still clearly see that the Solingen group swords were siblings. As Oakeshot might have put it: like peas in a pod.
The museum line Solingen is a twin to the original sword. It is much more alike the original than any other of the swords made at the time in the same group. This is no surprice as the idea with the reconstruction is to make justice to an individual sword, while the original craftsmen worked to fulfill an order of a certain amount of swords of a certain kind.
The minute difference you might make out when comparing different museum line Solingen swords (or NG swords for that matter) are on a completely different scale than the variance between originals that were made to fulfill the same qualifications. We work with small tolerances and uniform parts, but since handwork is involved and every sword is put together as an individual entity, the result is swords that still have an individual identity to some small extent.
Every individual Museum Line Solingen sword is a good representation of what the original could have been, even with the minute variances given.

It might be good be aware of this: the original Solingen sword is lost to us. It is the worn and rusty remains that we can see today. The only way to make a reconstruction of it is to imagine how it might have looked as new. This is a very active process. The result of it depend as much of the state of the original as the eyes and concepts of the person doing the research and reconstruction work. In some ways it is like performing a piece of ancient music that has lines and pages lost in the music score.
To do this you need to work from your experience of other swords of the same period. You need to base your work on the feel and character of these weapons as much as the data you can get from measuring and weighing. It is not an automatic and objective process. Seeing actively is as much about registering as interpreting.
Comparing the original Solingen sword as it is now, to what it was when it was new would present us with a greater difference, than is the case between individual Solingen swords in the Museum Line.

The Next generation line are based on the same body of research. While they do not aim to relate to *one* specific sword, they still relate to specific swords of specific types. I have measured these swords and built the designs from the impressions and data Iīve collected.
It is about exactness and presicion, but equally much about awareness of character and style. The NG swords are not less authentic than the Museum Line when compared to original swords. They are just made with another goal: to capture the specific feel and character of a certain type rather than an individual sword. They are built on the same body of work, with the same ambition to make justice to historical swords.
To be rational products made at an affordable price they need to have a high degree of consistency. At the same time, as they are hand made in small series, one at a time, they will show minute variances between them. These small variances are actually the last detail to make them come closer to the originals they relate to: they need to show some traces of handwork, else they would become sterile objects without soul.
It is not a matter of accepting sloppy or careless work. It is about establishing work processes and routines that naturally result in marks of individuality. The difference here is all about the attitude, awarenedd and skill of the artisans involved in production.

I hope you can find this long and rambling answer helpful.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
As you als said, slight imperfections are no problem, but when the fuller deviates to the right by about 1mm on both sides, it makes a total deviation of 2mm and it looks strange, when one edge is wider than the other.

And probably this was part of my question from the beginning, is there a range of tolerance that is reasonable on the higher end of the production market swords depending on the processing? Peter already defined some aspects.

With my Crecy everything is fine, there some slight grinding mark, some very small pittings in the pommel, this I wouldnīt consider a problem at all.

Thanks for all your comments shedding light on the whole thing.

Hearing your reservation to this sword I would really recommend you to send it back. It does not sound as you are completely happy with it.
A deviation of 2 mm sideways does sound much. I am very surpriced to hear it. If the fuller sits to one side by half a milimeter or so, it could perhaps still remain acceptable if the sword as a whole is a nicely finished and well put together weapon.
You need to be able to appreciate the sword as a complete whole. The ambition is to make words with a high degree of consistency and a high quality fit and finish. They should also show a harmonious and homogenous prescence. However, if you take a caliper to them, you are boud to find some small deviations from the absolute.
I think the best for you would be to talk directly to Mike at Albion. He is better better placed to offer you help and advice than anyone here at the forum.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
...Something to consider: the blade of my Vince Evans dirk is hand-crafted: forged, then ground a bit and polished. Its lines are more clean than any CNC-milled or otherwise ground sword I've ever owned, but it still has character. Hand-crafting doesn't always result in unevenness. Perfection of line doesn't always result in sterility of appearance, either. The blade of my Evans ballock dagger shows a (very) little hand-work "variation" but is still damn impressive considering it was forged and ground completely by hand. I have no issues with it.

Hey Chad,

Handwork can be the *only* way to get sublte and complex shapes exactly where you want them.
Handwork should never be an excuse for sloppy work. That was never my intention to imply.
To make one blade perfect is a task. To make 50 blades perfect is quite another another task, if they also have to be *exactly* alike. This needs to be understood if you make this comparison with a beautiful Vince Evans Dirk and the standard of Albion made swords.

I make blades on a one by one basis. They are all forged, ground and finished by hand. Using stones & polishing blocks and letting the work take the time it needs allows me to get the shapes, lines and surfaces to where I want them.
I still do not know If I could make ten swords to be *exactly* alike, even if I wanted to. In any case that task would not be just to make ten swords, it would be much more involved and time consuming.
If I made two reconstructions of the Solingen myself in my smithy, I would not be surpriced if there were some slight differences between the two swords. I would still argue that both are thororugh and acute reconstructions of the original.
I would actually hope my second sword would be better than the first.

If you play a solo in a violin concert by Mozart, are you able to play it *exactly* the same every time? If you did, would it be good music?

A handmade sword is not like a CD record or cut and paste copy of something. It is an original work.

Absolute identical does not have to mean best possible quality.
To get absolutley identical, you need to design the product for a high degree of machineability. In the case of a sword that means you will have to avoid certain shapes that does not lend themselves to machining so easily. That would not go well together with the ambition to produce swords that relate to actual historical swords.
The blades and hilts of the Museum Line and NG line swords include features that have to be shaped by hand. The grinding of the blades is not just a removal of machine marks, it is an active shaping to produce the correct cross sections and edge geometry. The making of these swords is not about slamming together stamped out parts. Every part is finished and more or less shaped by hand. A high degree of accuracy and small tolerances are still upheld.
Some slight variation does not mean careless manufacture in this perspective.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword accuracy in worksmanship
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: