Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New Darkwood English 1560's Basket Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: My New Darkwood English 1560's Basket         Reply with quote

Its been a while but I figured I'd post up some pictures of my new Darkwood Armory English Basket. I purchased this over the summer and recieved it early September. The sword has a 34 inch blade, blued fittings, wire wrap, and an additional thumb ring added on. I wanted something that I could use for my group's forrays into Silver and Viggiani, but still look appropriate for a Leftenant of an English Trayn'd Bande to wear. Here are some pictures of the basket. The blade is pretty standard, just a Darkwood Sidesword blade. With the announcement of the new trainign blades that Gus and Scott are working on, I may pick up a replacement down the road. As it is, I spent enough money this summer for my wife's tastes!

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An English baskethilt with a thumb ring! I'm not sure how historically accurate that is, but I love the idea. Just from looking at the pictures it appears to be a superior piece of craftsmanship. How much does it weigh, and how does it feel in your hand?
Chris Last

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll get weights and other measurments tonight.

I'm not sure about the historical accuracy of the thumb ring on this style of basket, but when doing forms with an original walloon with a thumb ring that one of our members owns, I loved the feel of it.

As to how this one feels, I've done primarily non contact drills with it so far but it feels good. After taking care of a rattle issue, the pommel nut needed to be tightened quite a bit and the blade tended to rattle against the quillon block, its very solid. That's actually probably the best word to describe it, solid. My hand feels safe, it moves through forms well, and I am eager to put it into more practice.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
An English baskethilt with a thumb ring! I'm not sure how historically accurate that is, but I love the idea.

One does associate the thumb ring with continental swords, but a thumb ring on an English piece is not out of the question. This 16th century basket might be a shade early for a tumb ring (I don't know), but there were some mortuary hilted swords that had thumb rings. Some Englishmen must have fancied the idea, just as Chris does now!

(Two Darkwood English basket hilt threads in the past week! Woohoo!)

Jonathan
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword is about 100 years later than Chris's hilt design, but it is English and does have a thumb ring (from Mazansky's British Basket-Hilted Swords):

Attachment: 68.77 KB
thumbring4.JPG

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris;

Excellent! Good to know that the Darkwood baskethilts are available and worthwhile. Good man for making sure of all this!

And I suspect that a good English Broadsword (or Backsword, as the case may be) would definitely befit a junior officer of a Trayned Bande, being just the thing to smack down some buffoon besotted with Italianated rapiers... Laughing Out Loud

Allons!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

congratulations on a lovely looking piece,

don't those light and fast swords with stylish and practical hilts just make your juices flow?!

as to the thumb ring, i am the happy caretaker (seems more appropriate then 'owner') of an original walloon with a thumb ring and it really is a wonder for blade control and alignment - lets you steer that yard of flashing steel with the tiniest and most intimate of movements - also find that the hilt and the thumb ring combined allows me to hold the grip loosely as i rotate it while the hilt bows and thumb ring grip my hand firmly - overall a highly recommended appendage.

after all, we're the only animals on this planet with dextrous thumbs, so we may as well make the most of them! Razz

while the italians of old may be associated with fancy, flimsy rapiers in the minds of Silver's englishmen, they were also responsible for some of the most spectacular cut and thrust weapons ever.

is that pommel solid? (looks pretty large)
and where is the center of gravity?

cheers, adam
Chris Last

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam-

I completely agree that the thumb ring adds a whole other level of control when I work with a blade. I absolutely love the feel of it, and with the robust basket of the Darkwood, I am very comfortable, and indeed feel more confindent in placing my blade where I want it to go.

Gordon-

Thanks! I worked with some Darkwood baskets courtesy of a workshop with the Gallowglass Academy and really felt they were the best choice for a sparring blade that I had come across (while still remaining in my price range). I am looking forward very much to putting it through its paces. Hopefully (still working on the wife) there will be a chance for me to show it to you in person soon! (Love the new site by the way!)

Unfortunately Daddy-duty kept me from taking the other measurements I was hoping to take last night, so I hope to get those done shortly!

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Chris!
I really like the look of that hilt. And I must say that the thumb-ring was an interesting feature.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
David Evans

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: English Basket Hilt         Reply with quote

I do like the look of that. I've been tempted by one of the various basket Hilts Scott Wilson does. Just not made my mind up yet! As far as I'm aware the thumb ring turns up on a variety of hilt types but was meant for Horse to allow better control of the sword, which does seem to work for me on a few that I've tried.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Hopkins wrote:
This sword is about 100 years later than Chris's hilt design, but it is English and does have a thumb ring (from Mazansky's British Basket-Hilted Swords):

Now Scott should make a Mortuary sword with a thumb ring Big Grin
Chris Last

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the measurements:

Weight: 2 3/4 pounds
Overall length: 41 inches
Blade length: 34 inches
Blade width: 1 1/8 inches at base, .5 inch at tip
Grip length: 4 1/8 inches
Guard width: 7.5 inches
Point of Balance: 2 13/16 inches from guard
Center of Percussion: about 23 1/2 inches from guard

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New Darkwood English 1560's Basket
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic