Italian and French armies in XVI century
Is possible to have some help about these armies. The web is very poor in direct links to informations about this particular period. I talk in particular about the Italian Wars. Some indications around here ??
Well, there is a feature about each of those http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_armies_italy.html here and http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_armies_french.html here.
-Will
Thanks... I already read after that. Very useful. I'm looking forward for something more specific in military...
Franco;

Try to acquire a copy of Sir Charles W. C. Oman's "History of the Art of War in the Sixteenth Century". The first third of the book is necessarily devoted to the Italian Wars of 1494-1558, with an enormous amount of detail on the armies and major battles of the conflict. It's not on-line of course (to my knowledge at least), but a fine book to read through from beginning to end to gain some in-depth understanding of the history of war in that century.

Another fine book which gives some good understanding of the art of war in that time period is Bert Hall's "Renaissance Weapons and Warfare". Though mostly focusing on the weapons and tactics as they evolved from the 14th through the 17th Centuries, there is a good amount of information on the Italian Wars.

I HIGHLY recommend both of these books to give you a good background on the armies and weapons of the day, and with those under your belt, you can get into the more specific primary accounts, which are widly quoted in both books.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Gordon

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: