A new project by Jake Powning.
Here's a new project by Jake, a collaboration with German bladesmith Uli Hennicke.
[ Linked Image ]

Very, very cool stuff.

More here: http://www.powning.com/jake/commish/progress4.shtml
I think I've run out of adjectives for Jake's work. So, I guess the old standby's will have to suffice: Stunning! Beautiful! Splendid!

I love the carvings on the handles and scabbards, but the aged look of the bronze and the bog-aged wood (how many cutlers would go to that measure to achieve a look?), and the smoky look of the blades.

Love it.
I think Jake doesn't even make swords anymore.....he just makes art! The last few things he's done are just ridiculously good. This one is no exception to that. He's posted a really cool series of in process photos of this piece on his website. It's really cool to see the amount of work that went into this piece. Anyone who likes this sword should check it out, it's mind boggling!

Edit: Patrick has a link to it on the original post. Had to check it out again!
Inspiration for dreams. i was having a moment of tension with the misses, then this page loaded infront of me.... Wow... just Wow.

Maybe when i get back from changing my shorts Ill look at the link. At what point do bladesmiths become living treasures again?

*picks jaw up from floor*

That's stunningly beautiful.
Jake makes the most beautiful non-historical swords I have ever had the pleasure to see, no doubt about that. But let's not forget Uli's breathtaking blades, either!
Saw these in another fourm.

Impressive there, and impressive here.

The step by step is interesting too.
Nice work from Jake, as usual.

On another note, I took the step of correcting the spelling of his last name in the topic title.
It is sometimes hard to believe Jake's work exists in the real world. It looks like something out of myth, or legend. This collaboration even more so.
The "Black Uljake" set is beautiful, and worthy of some ancient hero. Uli's blades look fantastic. Jake's work, as usual, would look at home in an art museum. I have always loved his application of celtic knotwork on scabbards and grips. The progress sequence is fascinating - sequences like that always get me thinking "that doesn't look so hard" - - - until reality sets in! :lol:
Quote:
The progress sequence is fascinating - sequences like that always get me thinking "that doesn't look so hard" - - - until reality sets in!

Exactly my thinking. :)

The scabbard of the sword is particulary impressive. Looks like not a single square inch has not been meticulously carved.

I know it's a disgression from the original topic, but does anyone have visual exemples of how this kind of suspension system was attached to the belt ? Those two little hooks on roman and celtic scabbards always seems strange to my eyes...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: