Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood English basket-hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics. The blade is a fuzz narrower and lighter than I think it should be for this type of sword, but is nicely done and can be ordered to length, which is nice. A 33-36" blade is proper for this type of sword, at least as it was used by cavalrly, and this is not always easy to match in a reproduction.
I did a good deal of file work to the hilt so some of the details are different than what you will probably get. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of it before I started.
I have an old Windlass double edge blade with the three fuller configuration (one wide one in the middle with a narrower one on either side) that was also common on swords of this type/period. I mounted the hilt on this blade and really liked the way it looked so I contacted Scott and he seems willing to make a custom blade like this for me. This is also not an easy type of blade to find in the repro market, so I am pretty excited about it and am hoping to send him some more money soon.

Attachment: 57.92 KB
Img1100r.JPG

Attachment: 59.95 KB
Img1103r.JPG

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin,
That looks nice! I really like the proportions of the piece. Those photos are really getting me fired up about ordering one! What have you done to customize the hilt? Also, is the backsword blade blunt or sharpened? Do do have, or are you planning on getting, a scabbard? What wood did you select for the grip?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Justin King
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The blade was ordered sharp. The profile would likely be a bit different with a blunt blade.

I did some simple fluting and file-work details to the basket, and generally reduced any areas that I thought had excess material. I also re-did the finials on the guard and re-bent the ends.
The bars of the basket are rectangular in the hammered finish, so I reduced them to roughly octagonal section. This required a good deal of difficult filing, which is why I feel that the detailed finish is well worth the money.

I will probably do some light fluting to the pommel, but I am letting the details form in my mind slowly, now that the heavy work is done.

I am planning to make screws to attatch the ends of the basket to the pommel eventually, as was seen on some swords of this type. I didn't order a scabbard as this mainly a collection piece and won't be carted around much. I ordered the entire hilt very plain, it came with what appears to be an oak grip. I will eventually replace this as well but haven't decided what to use yet.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin,
The basket is screwed to the pommel in the photos on the Darkwood site--is that something he only does to the standard or detailed finish? (Perhaps that is a question for him.) Now you have me wanting to go with the detailed finish again! I hope my items in the Classifieds sell soon so I can place an order with Scott!

You have done a great job on your basket. You have done some nice detail work. It sounds like you have put a lot of effort into it! I'd love it if you would share photos of any additional work you do to the sword.

Jonathan
Justin King
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure what exactly is involved in the detailed finish. Scott seems to do work to order and probably there are more options than are apparent from a quick look at his site. I would recommend calling him and discussing it with him before you order.
Thanks for the comments on my work. I will post more pics when the sword is finished but it will likely be some time yet.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood English basket-hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic