Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rapier blade length Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Garth Thompson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Rapier blade length         Reply with quote

Is the blade length on a rapier determined from tip to the edge of the grip, or from the tip to the edge of the guard? The examples I have seen can make up to a 2 inch difference.
Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand. Psalm 149:6
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think everybody measures it differently. I've done it different ways in the past. I've come to the point where I like to measure from the guard to tip and include a separate measurement for the ricasso, if present. Either that or I'll explicitly say what I'm measuring.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I generally do the same thing Nathan does. i.e. "A 40 inch blade with a two inch ricasso." But Nathan's right, people measure them in different ways. I know that in some period sources they measured all the way to the quillon (including the ricasso). The Spanish fencing master Narvaez said the perfect length for a rapier can be measured by setting the tip on the ground, and the quillons should reach the naval, so he clearly measured it to the quillon.

But if you ever decide to order a custom sword, definately be clear. I once ordered a custom rapier from A&A and requested a 43" blade... Craig later called me to double check whether I meant from the quillon or from where the blade comes out of the guard. It was a good thing he checked, because I meant from the guard, and we was going to do a 43" blade IN ADDITION to the ricasso, which would have been gigantic for me. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Length matters only insofar as it increases range, so I count everything below the quillon block. That's the maximum length you'd have to work with in a fight. In practice, you'd often reduce that length by an inch or two by gripping the ricasso with thumb and forefinger for better control.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
. i.e. "A 40 inch blade with a two inch ricasso."

Mr Grandy
Sorry, but even that can be taken two ways. In the context of this discussion I can see what you mean, but within the statement alone, 'with' could either mean 'including' or 'plus'. It is one of those ambiguous terms.
yeah, I know, i'm picky (and I know d*** all about rapiers)
Regards
Geoff

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rapier blade length
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic