Polish Hussars, flintlocks at Vienna?
Hi

Im not sure were to post this so on the safe I thought I better put it here?
Anyway I was having a quick look at the new Osprey , Polish Hussars book . Now it mentions that by the late era for the Hussars they were using a flintlock pistol ( Although very slow to pick up on it) I wonder if they were using them during the battle of Vienna? I wouldnt have a clue, Ive read the mechanism was invented in france around 1612? Though when did it become popular with polish armies? Why so slow on the uptake, is it a question of finance?

Any info would be great!
Thanks

Nick
Re: Polish Hussars, flintlocks at Vienna?
Nick;

Not so much finance, but style, fashion, tradition and availability would be controlling factors.

I would imagine that there would have been a fair number of "True Flintlocks" (AKA "French Flintlocks") at Vienna during the siege and battle, but lots of other ignition systems too. The Swedes, for example, didn't go over to the flint ignition system for their issue pistols and carbines until something like 1690 or so, whereas France was issuing out flintlock "fusils" (light muskets with flintlock ignition) to certain infantry regiments in the 1660's, and most of their Horse units by then as well. English Horse regiments had been issued flint-ignition pistols and carbines since prior to their Civil War, but not of the "French" variety, but rather their home-grown "English Lock" which is more akin to the classical snaphaunce in construction details. They were using both French locks and the so-called "Doglock" (a variant between the two) during the last half of the century, and early years of the 18th. The English didn't go over whole-hog to the French Lock until after around 1700 or so. German states were switching during the same period from wheellocks to flintlocks for their Horse units, while Infantry of all nations was pretty well still using the matchlock (with certain major acceptions) until 1703 or there-abouts.

So my guess would be that among the Poles you would have seen a wide variety of ignition systems in their firearms. Any infantry would still be using the matchlock, while the poorer sorts of cavalry would have had flint-ignition arms of some sort or another, or perhaps well worn wheellocks from earlier service. Most of the Polish nobility would, I should imagine, still have mostly wheellocks of the late variety mounted on their pistols.

If you're trying to put together a good impression for these years, check out these guys:

http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseAr...#Equipment

I think that a wide variety of types would be reasonable to expect, as long as they are architectually late-17th Century in construction.

Cheers!

Gordon
Thanks for that Gordon

Sounds very reasonable.

I am putting a kit together, roughly of the Vienna period style. I am quite happy to use wheel lock carbine/pistols for my personna, but I havent seen many places wich make or stock them?

N
Nick;

At this point in time, pretty much no one is making wheellocks on a commercial basis. Navy Arms was importing wheellock pistols and carbines made in Spain by Mendi back in the late 70's/early 80's, but those are almost impossible to find anymore. There are a couple of guys out there who are willing to make them on a custom basis, but expect to spend about $1,500. for a pistol, a bit more for a carbine if that's the route you take. One can hope that eventually some of the makers in India will decide that there is a marked for them here, and start manufacturing them, but for now, nothing.

For an early-17th Century style flint-igniton pistol, let me suggest the one imported by Middlesex Village Trading Co, which I reviewed here: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mvt_doglock.html BTW, they now import a matchlock musket, and are getting ready to import an English-lock (AKA "Doglock") musket as well, which would serve. Not exact of course, since the English lock wasn't terribly popular outside of the shores of Britain, but it's an archaic lock style, with an archaic stock style, and isn't a French-lock flintlock. Both Middlesex, ( http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/PDOG.shtml ) as well as Discriminating General ( http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol5.htm ) , and Loyalist Arms ( http://loyalistarms.freeservers.com/englishlockpistol1615-60.html ) are also offering other late-17th Century pistols and muskets as well, which may also serve you. Check them out, and see what you think might best be apropos for your impression.

Cheers!

Gordon

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: