Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > tightening a hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: tightening a hilt         Reply with quote

hi there,

my old walloon hilt sword, despite being in excellent form for its age, has a small amount of movement within the quillon block (?) where the tang enters into the hilt. anyone know how i can tighten this?
one obvious way i've thought of would be to hammer something down into the small gap between tang and block, but then this would be difficult to remove and i don't want to be haphazardly adding bits of scrap metal to this elegant old piece.

any suggestions appreciated,

cheers, adam
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam,
Yes, please do not hammer bits of scrap metal into your walloon! Some of my antiques do not have perfectly tight hilts, and I prefer to leave them as they are. I suppose it's all about personal preference. E.B. Erickson or Bill Goodwin might be able to offer some advice, as would some of the other people that frequent the Antique & Military Sword subforum of www.swordforum.com (SFI).

Jonathan

PS--Do you have any photos you could share?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd echo what Jonathan said. Personally, I don't think I'd want to add anything to hilt. Having said that, if your mind is dead-set on it, I'd suggest something much softer than metal. Perhaps a vegetable-tanned leather shim in there would do the trick. Ensure you use vegetable-tanned (oak-tanned) and no other kind, so as not to create a chance of corrosion caused by other tanned leathers. I've seen many antique hilts that have been shimmed in this fashion, but at the end of the day, they are often not done very elegantly. I think many such "restorations" do not improved the end product, unfortunately.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'd echo what Jonathan said. Personally, I don't think I'd want to add anything to hilt. Having said that, if your mind is dead-set on it, I'd suggest something much softer than metal. Perhaps a vegetable-tanned leather shim in there would do the trick. Ensure you use vegetable-tanned (oak-tanned) and no other kind, so as not to create a chance of corrosion caused by other tanned leathers. I've seen many antique hilts that have been shimmed in this fashion, but at the end of the day, they are often not done very elegantly. I think many such "restorations" do not improved the end product, unfortunately.

Yes, I agree with everything you said Nathan. I was thinking that something organic like leather might work (but I would not have known what leather treatment ot use). I would personally never want to do something to one of my swords that could not be undone unless it was vital to the preservation of the piece.

Best,
Jonathan
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys,

i had wondered if there was another way of tightening the hilt other than stuffing bits of material into the gap between hilt and tang. as it sounds like this is the only way to achieve this, i think i will leave it as is - as you guys say, its probably not worth it. the only reason i wanted to do this is because i use the sword to train with - if it was simply a wallhanger then this wouldn't be an issue. That said however, the movement really is minimal and, unless there is some other way to tighten it then shoving bits of whatever into the quillon block, i think i'll leave it be.

thanks again for your sugestions, adam
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dental floss or heavy thread works for me. If you have a gap you can wind it into, it works quite well.

Cheers

GC
Phill Lappin

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arrrghhhhggg!!!

Don't hammer anything into the gap!

I've just finished tightening the quillons on my reproduction hand and a half sword so I can give you advice from someone who's been there. First you need to establish if the movement is up and down (ie tilting towards the pommel and the tip) or back and forwards (ie side to side).

If the movement is up and down, and you can see the end of the tang at the base of the blade, you need to peen the end of the tang over the pommel more.

If the movement is the other way (or both ways as it was with my case) it may be more difficult, either way I would show it to a blacksmith first. I did mine under a blacksmith's supervision.

IN NOMINE DOMINE
IN NOMINE CONVIVOR
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the same kind of problem on my milanese rapier (the quillon were not perfectly flushed to the handle, allowing them to pivot around the quillon block). Adding a piece of felt between the quillon block and the grip settled it perfectly.

Plus, it gives a touch of color to the sword Happy

What I wonder is how it was done in the past? There must have been grips loosening back in the days too. Maybe the hilt was remade from scratch in this case... but I guess that more "ad-hoc", less costly solutions were used as well.

Regards

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I wonder is how it was done in the past? There must have been grips loosening back in the days too. Maybe the hilt was remade from scratch in this case... but I guess that more "ad-hoc", less costly solutions were used as well.

that's what i would've thought, i mean the hilts are good and there must have been a way to fix this simple problem. Its probably that which has already been suggested. Happy
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Simmonds wrote:
What I wonder is how it was done in the past?

The hilt would simply be re-peened. It's very easy to do and is the preferred solution for a loose modern hilt. The problem is that most folks would say it's not appropriate for antiques. It's not just a matter of maintaining original condition at all costs. There's an important practical issue--Who knows what's going on under that grip? Maybe the tang is so corroded that it would snap during re-peening.

On the other hand, if one is going to train with the piece, I'd say that's more likely than careful peening to destroy an already compromised tang. If using the weapon in that way, conservation is so far down one's list of priorities anyway that one might as well re-peen it. Oakeshott did worse (an observation, not an excuse).

My recommendation would be to leave the hilt alone and get a modern training tool. Given the use to which the weapon is being put, the original question strikes me as being sort of like, "What's the best way to protect my wedding ring when using it as a faucet washer?".

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
My recommendation would be to leave the hilt alone and get a modern training tool. Given the use to which the weapon is being put...

I agree. I have decided after many years of collecting solely antiques and not practicing any form of swordsmanship, that my knowledge would be enhanced through learning a style of swordsmanship and buying (gasp!) a modern weapon with which to train. I have found the style described by George Silver to be appealing because it falls within a time period of great interest to me, and it utilizes swords that I find fascinating (English basket hilt type weapons).

Best,
Jonathan
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're ready for a high quality reproduction English basket hilt sword (fortunate man!).

Paging E.B. Erickson....

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Sorry but I must disagree with Nathan's statement about other tannages corroding ferrous metals in favour of vegetable tanned. Veg tanned leather is by its very nature acidic and corrosive to ferrous metal. Atmospheric moisture will wick into the fibre and leach tannin creating a mildly acidic solution. Chamois or "oil tanned" leathers are typically used in contact with iron fittings and armour as they do not react this way. It is sad to see people put extra money into veg tanned straps for harness only to see them blacken and rot off the metal, leaving a black pitted area where they were in contact. If you must use veg leather make sure it is well "dressed" to restrict tannin leaching. Better yet get some dressed harness leather or latigo for straps.

Now then, the question was how to tighten up the hilt. Wood shims seem to have been at common solution according to Peter Johnsson's experience. He disassembled and reassembled an antique sword during a lecture at WMAW 2002, fitting a shim with only finger pressue . Little wooden wedge shims seemed to do the trick on several originals he had handled. Still, I'd leave an antique sword alone as modifications might lower its value.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for, but take a look at the "how to tighten a loose hilt" article on Bjorn Hellqvist's website - http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/swords.htm
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Sorry but I must disagree with Nathan's statement about other tannages corroding ferrous metals in favour of vegetable tanned. Veg tanned leather is by its very nature acidic and corrosive to ferrous metal. Atmospheric moisture will wick into the fibre and leach tannin creating a mildly acidic solution. Chamois or "oil tanned" leathers are typically used in contact with iron fittings and armour as they do not react this way. It is sad to see people put extra money into veg tanned straps for harness only to see them blacken and rot off the metal, leaving a black pitted area where they were in contact. If you must use veg leather make sure it is well "dressed" to restrict tannin leaching. Better yet get some dressed harness leather or latigo for straps.

Don't be sorry to disagree. It's important to do that around here. This is how we learn.

My experience with oak-tanned leather is different than yours as is everything I've read about it. I have steel parts that have been stored in oak-tanned leather for 15 years that have not reacted because of the leather. You mention that it might draw in environmental moisture and perhaps that's true. Please refer me to something that cites that the tanning acids in oak-tanned leather are corrosive. I want to immediately stop suggesting its use if it is a bad suggestion.

My experience with oil-tanned leather has been that it will discolor steel if left in contact for any length of time. It has caused patination on blades in the past for me and I immediately stopped using it. Chrome-tanned latigo leathers, again in my experience, are the very last suggestion I'd make. Chrome-tanned latigo has been the most harmful to steel fittings for me. I've used vegetable-tanned latigo and that was fine.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting. We tend to look to our own experiences first and then to those we witness and finally look to experts for answers when we can’t agree. Your experience with “veg leathers” contradicts mine (15 years in the allied leather trades, 28 in medieval re-enactment/ martial arts) but on further reflection, I believe we are both correct and yet mistaken.

One of the tiresome aspects of the leather industry is jargon. Every trade has terminology to qualify product characteristics. Saddlers have several terms for vegetable tanned leather depending on its stage of dressing and finishing. Russet, harness, dressed, combination/retan, waxed; all are veg tanned in some way. Shoe people use terms like split, crust, upper, lining, aniline, pull-up, suede and nubuck. Most are chrome tanned leathers, but not all. Glovers, garment makers and bookbinders have their own lingo, which is even more convoluted to the uninitiated. (This list covers many leather trade terms; http://www.iultcs.org/leather_terms/index.asp)

What does this have to do with your question? Simple. Your concept of “vegetable tanned” might include any of the 3-5% of leathers not chrome tanned. Even the cheapest veg leather tends to perform better than inexpensive chrome tanned. In the blade world, “vegetable tanned” is sufficient to imply “quality leather.” The culprit here isn’t particularly the tannage but the moisture wicked in by undressed leather, veg or chrome. Moisture leaches tannins from veg or salts from chrome, creating different problems of fibre stability. Many blade makers advocate avoiding moisture in the sheath, especially this fellow who makes waterproof, wax hardened sheaths. http://www.homestead.com/beknivessite2/pouchsheath.html . Some chrome is dressed with acidic oils, as is "latigo" designed for shoe laces. (really its a chrome retan.) That can create a problem for carbon steels, too. A chamois/oil tanned leather called “buff” is traditionally used for straps and articulation in armour conservation. Museums would not use it if it were a threat to iron and steel artefacts.

I should have specified “russet veg” in my earlier statement. That is the easiest “veg” to buy at the craft level. It is undyed, undressed leather for carving, tooling et cetera. As I sell a great deal of it for crafts, I am familiar with many of its uses. Harness leathers tend to have some degree of both dye and dressing applied. This is the leather of choice for belt and sheath makers. It has a number of uses in horse tack and also for biker saddlebags. Harness leather is more expensive and difficult to purchase in small pieces except for offcut scrap from saddlers. I quickly sell as much offcut as I can obtain from them. This “veg” is ideal for sheaths and perhaps for the wedge you recommended.

As to the chemical reaction between vegetable tannins and ferrous metals, you might read just the “source” here: King's American Dispensatory, 1898: Acidum Tannicum (U. S. P.)—Tannic Acid. http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/kings/acidum-tann.html
I have technical books on historic tanning and leatherwork but they don’t have a clearer explanation of the creation of iron tannate than this online example. Its just a bad thing in the tanning industry and carefully avoided. Iron tannate is the “black” in historic dyes and inks. I’ve heard issues with iron tannate pop up in antique gun conservation as well. The fact that you haven’t experienced it leads me to conclude that:
1 Your leather articles are well made, constructed from good dressed leather and
2 You oil then conserve your steel articles in a moderately dry environment.

I hope this clarified my original statement to your satisfaction. I blew my lunch break to write this but I could go on for days about leather I suppose. We wouldn't want that now, would we? ;-)

Have a lovely weekend,

Kel Rekuta
Capital Findings & Leather
Wholesalers to the Shoe and Allied Leather Trades
Toronto, Canada
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Kel. That's great information. I've just recently started doing leatherwork again after a long hiatus. I've missed it.

I was on the phone yesterday talking with a friend about this and mentioned that I suspect the problems are with terminology. s you mention, it's a kettle of worms and often trade-specific.Your conclusions about my own usage are dead-on: I do use high-quality, well-dressed leather and I also live in a stable (if not really dry, per se) climate. It's such a stable climate here in San Francisco, in fact, taht I don't really even oil the items.

Thanks for the link, as well. I've bookmarked it and will read it.

Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

Quote:
My recommendation would be to leave the hilt alone and get a modern training tool. Given the use to which the weapon is being put, the original question strikes me as being sort of like, "What's the best way to protect my wedding ring when using it as a faucet washer?".

Unfortunately i fail to understand what you mean by the above remark. My original question was "How can I tighten a loose hilt" - how this is analogous to protecting a wedding ring which I am using as a faucet washer i really don't know. WTF?!

you seem to be making an assumption as to how i am using my sword and also that this use is entirely innapropriate - like maybe you imagine that i use it to chop firewood with or, indeed, as a plumbing tool. i don't believe i said anything to indicate such innapropriate use, and if using a real sword for careful training is analogous to using a wedding ring as a faucet washer, well then i quess i know even less about martial arts then i do about plumbing. Wink

you guys recommend that i leave this one be and do my training with a modern reproduction. first, let me assure you that my antique piece is a most excellent piece to use (has a perfectly solid tang) and has taught me alot about how to use it, handling and rotations etc which i am sure would have been different with a replica. I am of course always careful not to risk any damage etc to my blade and use it only on appropriate materials, i do not use it to train with a partner obviously, it is far to dangerous for that. Also, conservation is, in fact, a priority and is not compromised in any way by my use of the piece. So - why on earth would i want to practice with an inferior tool? Big Grin

cheers, adam
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
You're ready for a high quality reproduction English basket hilt sword (fortunate man!).

Paging E.B. Erickson....

I wish! Maybe someday...

For now I am thinking of going with Darkwood's English Basket Hilt I (1560). Nothing too extravagant (as I was initially planning). I am currently thinking of going with a nice dark wood grip, a hammered finish on the basket, and a Darkwood backsword blade with a fuller or two. Later I'll probably go for one of the Atrim practice blades that were recently announced.

Jonathan
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Hopkins wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

Paging E.B. Erickson....

I wish! Maybe someday...

For now I am thinking of going with Darkwood's English Basket Hilt I (1560). Nothing too extravagant (as I was initially planning). I am currently thinking of going with a nice dark wood grip, a hammered finish on the basket, and a Darkwood backsword blade with a fuller or two. Later I'll probably go for one of the Atrim practice blades that were recently announced.

Jonathan

I recently ordered this sword from Darkwood with a sharp backsword blade. The basket design is very nice and the welds are solid. I ordered mine with the hammered finish on the basket so that I could finish it out myself and do a bit of customizing. If I were to do it over I would probably pay the extra cost for the detailed finish, as pictured on his site, unless I were going to use the sword for contact sparring.
I will try to get some pictures of mine up today if you would like to see it.
It isn't quite finished but....(edit) neither is my sentence, apparently Worried

Last edited by Justin King on Sat 04 Nov, 2006 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > tightening a hilt
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: