Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Generic Tang info for 17th/18th century hangers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Greg Calder

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Generic Tang info for 17th/18th century hangers         Reply with quote

I need some information on tangs.

In theory, if I had an "average" blade for a 17th/18th century sword. What would the tang look like?

The blades seem to be 1 3/8ths from looking at Swords and Blades of the American Revolution, and seem to be between 4 1/2 - 5 inches long....

but, historically, do they taper or is the tang "stepped", if the end is threaded, what would the size be?

Any info would be helpful, and pictures would be glorious!

Greg

If you are interested in the Golden Age or Piracy, please check out my website at
http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen A. Fisher has a nice small-sword blade in his album, and he gives measurements for the blade. I have an English hanger from circa 1720-1740, and I might be able to supply you with some dimensions of the tang as it enters the quillon block . Old Dominion Forge makes very nice reproductions of 17th and 18th century swords, and the propreitor might be able to give you some dimensions.

I have a clarifying question: what does an "average 17th or 18th century sword" look like to you? The tang dimensions will probably have a good deal of variance depending on the quality of the blade and its intended purpose, e.g. the tang of a small-sword will not be as substantial as that of a horseman's backsword blade.

Regards,
Jonathan

Edit: All of my 18th century swords have peened tangs, as have all others I have seen first hand. Others on this forum may have experienced other swords that have threaded tangs. If so, I would be curious to hear what type of sword would feature a threaded tang. Perhaps a basket hilt?
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a good many English swords with threaded tangs, beginning in the mid-1500s and continuing on through the 1700s. They're not super-common, and are rare in the 1700s, but are most commonly found in the 1600s. Baskethilts, Hounslow hangers, and various broadsword types are found with threaded tangs.
The Twysden sword in the Met is probably the most well-known baskethilt with this feature.
For a discussion of this subject, see the old SFI thread, "The Earliest Threaded Tangs". It's got a lot of photos as well.

--ElJay
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
There's a good many English swords with threaded tangs, beginning in the mid-1500s and continuing on through the 1700s. They're not super-common, and are rare in the 1700s, but are most commonly found in the 1600s. Baskethilts, Hounslow hangers, and various broadsword types are found with threaded tangs.
The Twysden sword in the Met is probably the most well-known baskethilt with this feature.
For a discussion of this subject, see the old SFI thread, "The Earliest Threaded Tangs". It's got a lot of photos as well.

--ElJay

Thanks ElJay. My frame of reference is 18th century swords, which, as you say, have mostly peened tangs. I'll check out that SFI thread!

Jonathan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Generic Tang info for 17th/18th century hangers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic