Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ATRIM AT1421 type XIII Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Welch

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: ATRIM AT1421 type XIII         Reply with quote

Ahhh! Now this is the ONE!

There is no telling how many people we let cut this summer with this sword, and that is pretty much what they all said. There is an archetypical sword a lot of people think of when they think "sword", and for a lot of people this one is it. People just saw and had to use it. I have never held a sword that demanded to cut something like this one does, and we cut everything with this sword. Pool noodles. Tons and tons of bottles. Telephone books. Newspapers wrapped around wooden dowels soaked over night. Several accidental hard cuts into a 2x4 cutting stand. Pig arms. A lot of pig arms. This could cut through the thickest part of most pig arms with a two handed cut. What would be light harassing cuts cut into the bone. And it feels better, to me at least, than most other similar swords I have handled, although I admit I am starting to develop a preference for the way ATRIM's feel now. In this case, Gus just took a sword with a great blade presence... an obvious "chopper", and was able to pull enough of that weight around the cross to make relatively lively handling. The way the weight is distributed though makes it surprising for smaller people when they handle it. It has plenty of authority, but is easily wielded. For me, it was about the outer limit that I could use effectively one handed for any length of time.

And as spade-like as the point on this one is, it still easily thrusted through meat but skipped off bone. I believe part of why it thrusts so well is because this one is one of Gus' stiffer swords. It is easily one of the stiffest type XIII I have seen. It is supposed to be part way between his "older" work and the "new" stiff battle swords. If it hadn't unfortunately become a cliché I would call it a battle ready sword. At least this is what that should have meant.

I only have one regret with this sword. Gus said that the one he sent us didn't have the robust anti-armour edge on it and that we could cut anything we wanted to except metal. And we took him up on that.

After everything we did to the sword we didn't leave a mark on it while we were test cutting. However, at the end of a cutting session on 10 pig arms, I was using this sword to chop them up so we could dispose of them. I had laid a telephone book over a wooden banister and was cutting the pig arms up on it with a wrath cut. Really, I should have been using an axe. One of the arms had a place that had been broken right below the shoulder, and had formed a solid ball of bone when it healed about as big as my fist. It was completely solid with no marrow at all. And I cut through it.

This was the only thing we have done so far that did any damage to any of Gus' swords we have been using. It didn't "roll" the edge, or break it off... it did however bend it off line in a "wave". The whole thing is 3/16... maybe a quarter of an inch long. If you lay it on a straight edge you can "just" see light under it, and if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't notice it. And a lot of people didn't. We did this on the first cutting day we used this sword, and over the time we had it we let a lot of people use it and no one ever noticed it. Either from seeing it, or having it interfere with their cutting. As far as I am concerned it was a cosmetic flaw and didn't effect performance at all, Although as I understand it eventually it would work there and fail if not fixed. I'll let Gus explain it better if he wants too.

My bottom line? Like everything we get from Gus this is extremely well made with a marvelous fit and finish. Not flashy. No frills. What I would want if I needed a sword for real. For a sword that was so far off what I like, this one is now among the few I eventually want to own. I love this sword.

As I posted in an earlier post, we lost both the film and the digital pictures for this. I'll try to post screencaps and video soon.

"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca 4BC-65AD
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got one of those. I agree with David about the quality of this sword. It is a very successful design, managing to combine the authority of a big blade (though not long at 32") with relatively light weight, and surprising maneuverablity. The grip is long enough to fit two hands at 7 inches. Two-handed, this sword really sings.

I don't think the AT1421 is currently on any of the ATrim sword sites, but I bet Gus would make one for you if you wanted it. This model needs to be officially revived.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I don't think the AT1421 is currently on any of the ATrim sword sites, but I bet Gus would make one for you if you wanted it. This model needs to be officially revived.

Are you offering yours up? Happy Seriously, though, I can't really get review samples from Gus so they must come from customers. We'd like to review many of the things on the market, but getting all these things in our hands isn't the easiest thing in the world now days.

Anyone wanting to see reviews of swords needs to put word into the ears of the makers so that items will hit our hands.

Cheers.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

Are you offering yours up? Happy Seriously, though, I can't really get review samples from Gus so they must come from customers. We'd like to review many of the things on the market, but getting all these things in our hands isn't the easiest thing in the world now days.

Anyone wanting to see reviews of swords needs to put word into the ears of the makers so that items will hit our hands.

Cheers.

I think he meant "revived" not "reviewed." I'll have to admit, though, that I was most of the way through posting a message similar to yours until I noticed the "revived" part. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

Cheers.

We could talk again.....

I went thru a tough year and a half, and though I may have wanted to send out a piece or two to Bill, when the bottom line hit me in the head, I didn't have it to play with....

But its clearing up in a hurry.....

swords are fun
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In case you folks forgot what it looks like

Attachment: 6.71 KB
AT1421.jpg
AT1421 (probably an All Saints picture)
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
In case you folks forgot what it looks like

I think I have a photo of the sword that David tested. I no longer have the sword, it didn't last..... I intended to have it around a bit, but the damn thing sold itself.....

As far as the edge, it was so easy to fix, that there's not much to describe. Basically, I sharpened the sword, and the edge isn't much more "robust" than it was before........

When I have time tonite, I'll try and find that photo.......

swords are fun
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Bring it back!         Reply with quote

I for one would love to see this up on one of the current Atrim vendor sights. It has beautiful proportions for its type and has always been on my list of "must get someday". There are more than a few type XIIIa's on the market but almost no type XIII's, which I personally like better. Gus, is this a design you are planning to revive?
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring it back!         Reply with quote

Darwin Todd wrote:
I for one would love to see this up on one of the current Atrim vendor sights. It has beautiful proportions for its type and has always been on my list of "must get someday". There are more than a few type XIIIa's on the market but almost no type XIII's, which I personally like better. Gus, is this a design you are planning to revive?

Hi Darwin

Actually, its been revived. I made two, one of which went with me to Atlanta, and eventually was tested by David. The other went as a replacement for a 1429........

I lost a bit of stuff in heat treat in August, between rebuilding what I lost, doing Navy work, making new stuff, and generally getting caught up, updating the website kinda fell by the wayside. Something now that needs addressing..........

Anyways, I'll try and see that a photo, or photos of this sword {the 1421} get put up soon......

swords are fun
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I think he meant "revived" not "reviewed." I'll have to admit, though, that I was most of the way through posting a message similar to yours until I noticed the "revived" part. Happy

I read too quickly Razz Well, I'd like it both revived and reviewed. How's that? Worried

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Welch

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bring it back!         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Actually, its been revived.

Hey Gus, it was my understanding that this one hasn't just been "revived" but that you have made significant improvements on it.

Is that correct?

David

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of these too...it's an amazing cutter and a truly beautiful sword, one that's quickly became one of the favorites in my collection.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bring it back!         Reply with quote

David Welch wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:
Actually, its been revived.

Hey Gus, it was my understanding that this one hasn't just been "revived" but that you have made significant improvements on it.

Is that correct?

David

Yeah David

Has to do with that "harmonic jazz" that is kind of a no-no to mention these days..... distal taper and node placement mostly....

The one you tested was the second of the three like this, the first one is in Christian Tobler's possession.......

swords are fun
David Welch

PostPosted: Sat 02 Dec, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hate to let something lay this long and then bump it up, but...

Hey Gus!

Did you ever find the pics of this thing?

Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 03 Dec, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Welch wrote:
I hate to let something lay this long and then bump it up, but...

Hey Gus!

Did you ever find the pics of this thing?

No I didn't Dave. Appears the gremlins got it....... but the one that Christian Tobler got is only different in the "dress up".....

Attachment: 17.31 KB
Tobler_1.jpg

swords are fun

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ATRIM AT1421 type XIII
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic