Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German group's Hallstatt, etc. Excellent Repro Gear ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: German group's Hallstatt, etc. Excellent Repro Gear !         Reply with quote

Im not greatly into Celtic, Greek, Roman and other earlier gear but I know that some of you are, and would appreciate the (second) site posted below. I was making a point on another forum recently about the greater variety of gear made by some German groups and companies and a couple of Czech groups and one or two in Canada and Australia.
I wont go into it all here as its a bit lenghty but you can read it if you want.... http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65546 ......it ended up having some great information !
.......and then I came across this group who I had seen before.........
http://www.hallstattzeit.de/Rekonstruktion/Helm/helm.html
I was very impressed with their work ( although not my area) and also their great photography ! They have quite a lot of albums if you go to the gallery and scroll right down. I find it very inspiring because of their detail and the effort put into the gear, the web-site and the photos.

Enjoy !

Attachment: 109.74 KB
Hoplite im Wald.jpg

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Merv. Yes, their photography is well done. Though, I think they take their reenactments a little too seriously for me!

Brrrr! This looks COLD.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Thanks for the link, Merv. Yes, their photography is well done. Though, I think they take their reenactments a little too seriously for me!
Brrrr! This looks COLD.

I remember as a kid on vacation in Florida with my parents that when the sun went down and the temperature got down occasionally to the low 70°f or high 60°f the " locals " would putting on heavy sweaters while we " Northern folk " were still happy with light teashirts. Razz

Well as far as the guy in the picture a windy days would make a big difference in the chill factor but it does merit some admiration for dedication and hmmmm ...... guts. Eek!

So is he portraying a Celt of some kind or something more like early Greek ? The shield looks more Celtish to me and the helmet seem to be also, although I guess some Celtic gear or Celtic influenced gear might have been used by the Greeks!? Not my period of expertise ( if I have one that is. Wink ) My impression of Celts involves the use of plaid trousers !? But this may be a generalization.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Hallstatt         Reply with quote

Yes guys, I agree totally ! I myself wouldnt know a Greek Hoplite from a Geek Hopheavy ! And as for "celts" ...if you browse their many albums there are certinally more conventional celtic warriors and celt-maidens to see.
I think they portray that long lost group of wandering Greek mercinaries that became disorintated while trying to find America and decided to become Celts instead. The warriors later took to the unusual ploy of trying to terrify their enemies by wearing a dead skunk on their helmets ! I know of several reenactment groups who seem to be trying hard to portray this anachromatic group ! ....... WTF?!

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think you can fault anyone who would take an impression as far as the fellow in the snow. This may be
a gratuitous question, but you don't think they did this stuff "Regimental"? BURRRRRR!
Now a question regarding La Tene and and Halstatt cultures, they were at the least proto-Celtic if not really
Celtic. So, were the Germans people who, as some claim, metalurgy skill poor hanging on the fringes of the
more technologically advanced Celtic peoples, or were the lines less clear as others (pro German culturists?)
have averred? I have no agenda here, since by family make up either way I win. Learned thoughts?

Doug Gentner

"A plague of all Cowards!"
Falstaff, Hank IV part 1
Steve L.

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thatīs Stefan in an east-hallstatt-amoured-outfit.

The east-hallstatt-circle was from middle bavaria over austria to slovenia - and the greece (cuirass and greaves) and etruscian (helmet) trading goods was there for the high ranking men common. Note the battle-axe - this is the common side-weapon for an east-hallstatt noble. (in westhallstatt the sword). He has also two javelins.

The shield is reconstructed after east-hallstatt pictures from some situlae (bronze cattles).

On the day of this picture it was very snowy:

http://www.hallstattzeit.de/Galerie/Museum_Du..._gross.jpg

Note the colour of the skin on his legs! WTF?!

Heīs a wired guy, but an excellend armour-maker! Laughing Out Loud
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve L. wrote:
... On the day of this picture it was very snowy ... Note the colour of the skin on his legs! WTF?! ...

Good grief! That sort of dedication to living history is becoming very difficult for this Florida-dweller to understand!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Steve L.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thatīs not comon for the whole german living history scene, Steve! Wink Stefan is "special". (I guess that even the greek-enthusiastic esthallstatt people wear leggings and long tunics in the winter! Laughing Out Loud )

But:

Iīll wait for the next winter to make some nice ice-age pics with my paleolithic recos! Big Grin
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Brrrr! This looks COLD.

I can't help sayng that the helm reminds me strongly of a 19th century fireman helmet, not to say how strange that helmet appears if donned along with a skirt and under the snow ...

Cool

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German group's Hallstatt, etc. Excellent Repro Gear !
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic