Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > OlliN's Custom Shop Project with Jean Thibodeau Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next 
J Anstey

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 31 May, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

very nice sword and rig!

Every aspect says taste and quality, the fullers look very crisp indeed. You are a lucky man, congrats on your commission.

Cheers

Jason
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a great looking sword and scabbard. I cannot wait to see the rest of the work on the scabbard.

My congratulations to Mark and Matt for turning out such a truly awe inspiring sword and to Jean for being lucky enough to be receiving it after all that has gone on in the creation of it.

Scott
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the scabbard suspension. Is it for a left hander?
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
R D Moore

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

Your sword and scabbard are a beautiful combination! I've been following this thread, too, and I have to tell you I'm excited for you. Congratulations to yourself and the team at Ollin. You have a work of art there, and I'll be waiting for your review on handling if you would be so kind as to post it for us. Ravenwolf's heft shouldn't be a problem for a long time weight trainer like yourself, and all the work Mark and Ollin have put into it's creation. Now for the engraving, yes? And pictures of that, too, please?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I like the scabbard suspension. Is it for a left hander?

I'm left handed but I train longsword as a right hander and if I take up 1:33 I will have to decide if I approach that as a right or as a left hander: So, the scabbard being on a baldric wearing it left or right should be easy and it has been designed that way functionally. From an aesthetic point of view and with the etching it might have a right versus a wrong ( left? ) side.

Anyway that is the plan. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Engraving: The pic was a little hard to read so I enhanced the contrast and sharpness with Photoshop.

Mark said that this pic was taken before he darkened the etch a bit more but it does give and idea about what it looks like.

He reproduced my concept drawing for the Wolf's head and the JT JT JT JT JT JT initials perfectly geting the thinning of lines as I wanted them i.e. similar to when one lifts a brush doing caligraphy.

Shipping is planned for this week or the next.

Attachment: 62.72 KB
Sword scab09.jpg

Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Jean.

Like many here I've been following the progress of this sword. As a result of this, and some other positive reviews, I recently got in touch with the lads at Ollin to discuss getting a slightly customised version of one of the swords on their web-site made later this year. These most recent pictures just go that little bit further towards making me think I've made a good decision. Of course pictures can be deceptive, and nothing beats getting the beastie in your hand, but the amount of detail that they have been prepared to share along the way has been impressive and encouraging. Fingers crossed that this feels as good as it looks Happy

Cheers,
Darrin.
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! I've been away from the forum for a while but the first thing I see is this sword and scabbard. Absolutely beautiful, Jean. I am seriously envious! Hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

Max
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

APPLAUSE SIGN ON

Everything looks outstanding, JT. Your patience and work with OlliN appear to
well worth the wait and efforts ...
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Shiny Metal Objects         Reply with quote

Jean,
That is a Beautiful combo. Mark is a great designer and a very talented artist. Gives the rest of us something to aspire to.

Congrats!
Sam
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some new and better pics although there might be some shadows on the scabbard in one of the close ups and Mark said that next time he might stand aside and use a timer rather than block the light in the wide shot of the sword. Wink Laughing Out Loud

A lot more detail of the pommel and the engraving that has been given a slight campaign worn patina and darkening in the etching.

Attachment: 49.3 KB
RavenWolf01.jpg

Attachment: 49.64 KB
RavenWolf02.jpg

Attachment: 45.37 KB
RavenWolf03.jpg

Attachment: 45.59 KB
RavenWolf04.jpg

Attachment: 53.74 KB
RavenWolf05.jpg

Attachment: 41.49 KB
RavenWolf07.jpg

Attachment: 50.82 KB
RavenWolf06.jpg

Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the close up of the blade, what a great job with the fuller and general profile. Looks very nice Jean, congratulations.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword with maker with the thousand yard stare; Something you see with soldiers in a war zone for too long, snipers and swordmakers who has to do a " HUGE " blade 4 times. Wink Laughing Out Loud

For some reason it seems that Mark doesn't like his picture taken but did it anyway to make me happy. Cool

I wanted a pic showing the sword in context i.e. size next to hand and body.

Oh, if someone wants to have the same sword made it's O.K. with me as I think it's more interesting to have my design and Mark's fine work out there rather than have an exclusive. Assume that with the experience of working on this large a blade that OlliN " might charge somewhat more than what they quoted me as a price which was very reasonable by the way for the sword and VERY competitive with other makers for the price of the scabbard.

One thing I did suggest in an e-mail to OlliN ( Mark and Matthew ) is that a 2/3 or 4/5 scale version could make a really nice sword at a less " extreme " weight but with the same look: If anyone wants a smaller scale version I'm also fine with that.

Attachment: 57.08 KB
RavenWolf09.jpg

Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmm... Jean, he looks to be about 4'9" from that photo, or about the size of a large hobbit!!! Sorcery and trickery; That's the effective result of having a sword of such size. Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Torsten F.H. Wilke wrote:
Hmmmm... Jean, he looks to be about 4'9" from that photo, or about the size of a large hobbit!!! Sorcery and trickery; That's the effective result of having a sword of such size. Big Grin

Not sure but I think he's 6'3" but I could be wrong. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the package is shipped and should be here early next week. Big Grin

Now, it begins: The " Manic " clicking and re-clicking on the tracking information and seeing it bounce around the countryside as well as figuring out what the " Jargon " means when the package is stuck somewhere i.e. marked EXCEPTION blah blah blah ......... and seeing the estimated delivery time get longer and shorter.

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Jean. Ravenwolf looks like a beauty and well worth the wait!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are one lucky man Jean. That last picture with Mark and the sword gives a true indication of it's size that none of the other pictures do.

I do agree that it makes Mark seem to be a hobbit though. Big Grin No offense Mark.

Scott
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hobbit-like or not, his extraordinary perseverance has earned Ollin a spot several notches higher than the competition on which to rest their laurels. They have also earned my future business, just on merit of this lengthy project thread alone. The sword looks absolutely bitchin' (pardon the language, lol), and the workmanship as documented on these forums is second to none...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news the sword has arrived safely, earlier than expected ( tracking ) and is INCREDIBLE. Eek! Eek! Eek! Cool

Just first impressions for now:

Mark and Matthew were great to work with and Mark took my " over the top " potentially boat anchor design and made what I think is the best compliment I can give: Made a real sword out of it.

Rather than go into statistics I will just give subjective handling impressions for now. ( As well most of the size and weight and balance statistics are all there somewhere in the 250+ posts. Wink Laughing Out Loud ).

The best way to compare I think is to compare it to my Gaddhjalt and Tritonia in handling as well as my AT 1435 which is a longsword slightly lighter.

O.K. the RavenWolf is the lightest feeling HEAVY sword I have and if I didn't know that it weighs 5 pounds I would have trouble telling it apart from my Tritonia on feel alone if my eyes where closed: I think that Mark is a miracle worker. Eek! No kidding I mean it ! If he can make this monster feel agile and fast he can make any normal sword feel like a feather !

The handling feels slightly faster than the Tritonia and a bit more still than the Gaddhjalt.

If one concentrates HARD on the weight instead of the way it moves in handling it is a heavier sword that would tire the arm a bit faster.

Compared to the AT 1435 ( Sort of apples versus oranges ) the RavenWolf is easier to move and react than the AT 1435 when that one is used one-handed ( Obviously the AT 1435 behaves like an agile and fast longsword when two hands are used ).

Oh, the distal taper is dramatic and as with the Tritonia one has a thin butcher knife at the end of a stout forte section of blade: From 3/8" thick near the guard to a thickness ( not measured ) similar to the Tritonia in the last foot of blade.

Oh, the length of handle is enough that I can hold on to the pommel for a twohanded grip: This doesn't make it a hand & a half sword or longsword but would be useful if one got tired. Still longsword techniques seem useable if needed.

This sword with a kite shield should be a " TERROR " in trained hands by a strong and big guy.

Fit and finish is perfect with no visible errors or flaws while at the same time not looking machine made.

Scabbard, engraving/etching, perfect grindlines in the fullers and hollow grinding .......... just about everything I could mention is as great as the pics already posted or better.

Oh, did I say that I'm pleased with the results. Wink Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > OlliN's Custom Shop Project with Jean Thibodeau
Page 13 of 14 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: