Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Good Sturdy, Historical, Reasonably priced rapier hanger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Good Sturdy, Historical, Reasonably priced rapier hanger         Reply with quote

What I'm looking for is a hanger that is accurate, available in red, and able to hold a military rapier as opposed to a civilian one. What say all of you? Does such a beast exist? I have made a cursory search using google and have been unable to come to a satisfactory conclusion.

Thanks for the help,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Good Sturdy, Historical, Reasonably priced rapier hanger         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
What I'm looking for is a hanger that is accurate, available in red, and able to hold a military rapier as opposed to a civilian one. What say all of you? Does such a beast exist? I have made a cursory search using google and have been unable to come to a satisfactory conclusion.

Thanks for the help,

You mean something like this offering from Arms & Armor, but in red?

Maybe they would be willing to make a custom order?
Oh. I just noticed that your post subject includes "reasonably-priced". That is a subjective term, but this lovely rapier hanger from A&A might exceed what you have in mind.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Last edited by Steve Grisetti on Sun 22 Oct, 2006 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This baldric from G. Gedney Godwin is probably quite a bit later in period than you are looking for (really meant for an 18th century basket hilt or military hanger), and it has obvious machine stitching. However, it is inexpensive, and it is available in a "russet" color. Perhaps you could dye it some more to get more of the red you want?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What time period and ethnicity (eg, Spanish, French, English..) are you looking to capture? What is a reasonable price for you?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nate C.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I'm looking for something similar to the A&A one. The baldric is definitely out of period I think. I have no doubts about the A&A version's quality but it's a little rich for my present budget. Under $200 would be ideal to me right now.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You won't get something very accurate for sub-$200. I would contact Lutel of the Czech Republic to see if they'd sell a hanger without a sword. I'm sure they would. They're priced at under $160, currently.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nate C.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
What time period and ethnicity (eg, Spanish, French, English..) are you looking to capture? What is a reasonable price for you?

The rapier is the dresden. So, the period is late XVI century german most likely. I haven't done enough bookwork to know what armor I'll be pairing with it, but german or english would be safe I think.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out Tattershall Arms. They have a rapier hanger in their gear section that might interest you. It's quite inexpensive. Tod's Stuff appears to have custom hangers available, too that look quite nice.
Nate C.

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Check out Tattershall Arms. They have a rapier hanger in their gear section that might interest you. It's quite inexpensive. Tod's Stuff appears to have custom hangers available, too that look quite nice.

Thanks Nathan. I have actually contacted Tod for more info. Tattershall arms is one I hadn't found but will definitely look into.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please note that the ornate hanger has hardware done by Arms & Armor. Like the sword shown, A&A's "Elizabethan" model, the rapier hanger's hardware has been gold-plated for use at the Globe theater in London.

Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Check out this site         Reply with quote

Check out this site: www.jekylthehidesmith.com He does mostly renn faire offerings, but also does extremely detailed historic work as well. (in fact he prefers it!) He also does repair work on authentic pieces from Rev war and Civil war. His prices are inexpensive (when compared to other custom leather work) and he is generally VERY fast. I have dealt with him in the past and found him very reasonable in price, and excellent in quality and time to completion. Ray
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That hanger is incredibly beautiful, Nathan! Thanks for posting it. I wonder what the price point is for something of that caliber. It is really fantastic--makes me want to see some Shakespeare performed!
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Do it yourself?         Reply with quote

Historic Enterprises (AKA Swan & Lion) used to sell rapier hanger kits for ~$60. Some assembly required - it is just the buckles, hooks, etc. You'll need to get the leather elsewhere. I couldn't find it on their wbsite, but perhaps if you sent them an email...?

www.historicenterprises.com/

Jim
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Do it yourself?         Reply with quote

Jim Mearkle wrote:
Historic Enterprises (AKA Swan & Lion) used to sell rapier hanger kits for ~$60. Some assembly required - it is just the buckles, hooks, etc. You'll need to get the leather elsewhere. I couldn't find it on their wbsite, but perhaps if you sent them an email...?

Yes, that's right. I believe I have bought it from them in the past. The kit is packed away here somewhere and I believe it was made by them.

Nate C.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just heard back from Historic Enterprises regarding the kits. Apparently there have been some supply issues and they aren't being offered at the current time. They are working to resolve this problem and hope to carry the kits again in the future.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude

Nate C.

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
... rapier hanging components can be purchased as a full set of metal work from www.whiterosecastings.co.uk who also stock loads of other period buckles. From memory they are either £50 or £70 for the set so about $95 or $130. The set he sells are shown on the gallery page of www.todsstuff.co.uk and is the plain leather hanger...

This was sent to me by PM (quoted with permission) regarding the hardware on the less ornate hanger on Todstuff. I'm in the process of contacting White Rose about the set since I didn't immediately spot it in the long list of fittings they make. I'll post more once I have an actual part number or something.

Thanks to Leo for the info Big Grin .

Nate C.

Sapere Aude

Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Sorry I am new about these parts and couldn't work out how to post up a reply so wrote to Nate directly, but thanks to a note from him I can now post up myself - elementary school stuff I know but computers and I weren't meant to be friends.

A year ago I was hunting rapier fittings for a job I had, couldn't find any so made up a pattern set and had Alan at White Rose Castings www.whiterosecastings.co.uk cast them up for me. I don't think he has got them on his catalogue yet but drop him a mail and he will let you know prices etc. He has just moved workshops so if you don't hear back for a few days bear with him. As standard he sells the set with 6 buckles for the frog, but obviously can supply 9 if required.

Regards

Tod

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Good Sturdy, Historical, Reasonably priced rapier hanger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic