Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The European Knight vs. The Japanese Samurai Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tanner Yerkey wrote:
I find this conversation very interesting and I appreciate the info you have given me. I will consult my teacher/master tonight and see if I can find any straight up evidence that he may have that would show if the samuria does have a advantage or not. You seem to be well educated in western fighting. I hope we have many more dicussions in the future.

P.S. sorry about the grammar. i don't know if you ment in as an insult or not but my primary language is english. Check tomorrow night for my reply

Let us know what your teacher says, and also his background. If he's teaching Japanese styles, he may have no information at all on western ones.

It should be interesting. And I don't mean any offence, only that your posts are sometimes convoluted. Mine are as well from time to time, but I struggle, (As we all do) to separate out my ideas and information, and to express them as clearly as possible. My own spelling is atrocious, I would be lost without a spell checker. One of your problems, if it isn't to forward to say so, is you tend to post blocks of text, rather then several distinct paragraphs. A large block is harder to read then several paragraphs.

I've certainly been guilty of poor posting habits in the past, so don't think I'm being all high and mighty about it! Wink

Do what I did. Look at the posts of those you admire, and imitate their style of posting. Then you'll be better understood. Wink Wink Wink

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Tanner Yerkey

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Don't be worried about insultingme or being to forward. I'll take any info that will improve my skills anf knowledge.
My teacher has done weapondry for over twenty years and has studied all cultures and fighting peoples. that is why I am confident he will give us something to either put the conversation to rest or at least give us something to chew on.
tanner
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

George Hill wrote:

EDIT Oh, Richard, there is a good bit of evidence to suggest the Samurai would have been just as brutal as the Knight. The Chinese and Koreans are quite specific in their condemnations of the Japanese conduct during the Imjin war. I've heard it said they would cut off the heads of women and children, then beat on them until you couldn't tell the gender or age, and deliver them as if they were the heads of enemy troops killed in battle.

Thanks, George! I thought as much, but I know much less about the samurai than I do about the knight.

One thing's for sure, it would be a brutal match!

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
A tang-headed arrow is much much weaker then a Socket headed arrow, because the socket has all the force directed into it, whereas the tang-head acts as a wedge under impact compression and splits the arrow behind it, thus preventing full transference of force, except into soft targets.

I find this very dubious, as tanged constructions are used by all sorts of cultures who wore armor and drew powerful bows. If properly wrapped in sinew or the like, tanged arrows shouldn't split. At least that's what the folks over at the ATARN forums say. I suspect they're right.

http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=87
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
A tang-headed arrow is much much weaker then a Socket headed arrow, because the socket has all the force directed into it, whereas the tang-head acts as a wedge under impact compression and splits the arrow behind it, thus preventing full transference of force, except into soft targets.

I find this very dubious, as tanged constructions are used by all sorts of cultures who wore armor and drew powerful bows. If properly wrapped in sinew or the like, tanged arrows shouldn't split. At least that's what the folks over at the ATARN forums say. I suspect they're right.

http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=87

What they are saying is interesting, espeically about sockets breaking when hitting hard armor.

And tanged arrows correctly made may indeed be quite strong, but they also quote some big names on the other side of the issue suggesting they weren't as good. Clearly this is a an issues that will be hotly debated, and when it is I think I'll sit it out and read the test results when someone does the tests. Also, they don't go into detail on the differences between various targets.

In the mean time, I would still think socketed arrows would be stronger then tanged ones. I would also suspect that the tang would have been used in the hundred years war, as being easier to make, if it didn't have a disadvantage. Still, these fellows bring up interesting points. Thanks for the link .

Marius Angantyr Rafoshei

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As some of my ancestors were knights, I have to say the knight wins! Cool
I find these discussions that occasionally pop up rather interesting, but the problem is that you will champion your style, ancestors or what your teacher says. (Or Hollywood.) Making for a rather hard clinch, instead of an educated comparison between different tactics, equipment, training and so on. Yes, this is what is being discussed here, but I feel it is more of the "my dad is stronger than yours" approach than "my dad is a farmer, he knows..."
Just a few words from a friendly forum stalker.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few years back some people pushed the Royal Armouries to do this same trial. All the curators involved thought it was rather silly so most took it in humour. In the end I do not think one beat another but some points to ponder on this.

Time period difference. Are we comparing a 15th century knight verses a 15th century samuri or a 14th century knight with a 17th or 18th century samuri?

Also with what weapons and how would you judge wins. If you had a knight with a lance charging a samuri with a bow on horseback?

I think one problem is fighting style. From what I have seen andf heard cutting and slashing is a main tool in the samuri swordbox. A knight in full armour would have little worries about this (no samuri swords will not easily cut through any plate armour, all past testing I have seen was flawed beyond belief).

So thats just a few little things I though of as I read through this to reiterate what some have already said.
Also tanged arrows do tend to be weaker than socketted. the areas that use tanged arrows never have to deal with full plate armour on a large scale so it was not an issue. When the arrowhead hits a very hard target (iron/steel plate) the force is more likely to put more impact on the shaft's core than the socketted one would.

In the end this would be an interesting duel to watch but even if one real knight killed a real samuri or vice versa it proves nothing but that knight a could kill samuri b, but could he kill samuri c as well? He'd have to kill a lot of samuri 9or knights) before I'd say one would win above the other because each is an individual person not a copy of some cookie cutter samuri or knight.

RPM
George Hill

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:

So thats just a few little things I though of as I read through this to reiterate what some have already said.
Also tanged arrows do tend to be weaker than socketted. the areas that use tanged arrows never have to deal with full plate armour on a large scale so it was not an issue. When the arrowhead hits a very hard target (iron/steel plate) the force is more likely to put more impact on the shaft's core than the socketted one would.

True, of course the socketed ones didn't penetrate plate either according to most of the evidence we have. What I'm most curious about at present is the advantage of a socket over a tang when shooting at a very solid coat of mail. The more I learn about historical mail, the more impressed I am with it as a defense. Solid links for every other row, and riveted links for the rows in-between.

As I’m ‘pretty sure’ mail will give way before an English longbow with socket-headed arrows, would it also give way before a tang-headed arrow? What if it hits the solid link instead of the riveted one? Most curious.

Nonetheless, I’m sure they won’t penetrate plate; we have accounts of plate-clad knights (oh plate clad horses) riding through storms of English arrows.

Of course I've never seen good information on the metallurgy of mail, but I likely wouldn't understand it if I did, since that's not an area I know much about in general. I still think it needs to be addressed however; as I'm sure it's an important part. As an exaggeration, considered lead links vs. steel ones.

Obviously we are looking only at ferric compounds, but I confess my abilities to tell between them are insufficient to understand the implications of each compound. Still, if we are using too soft or too hard a steel in replica testing, it will certainly have an impact on our results.

Tanner Yerkey

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey george.
I talked to my teacher last night and had a lengthy discussion with him. He simply said "who ever trained the most would win".
I asked if either culture stressed the open hand more he said it all depended on the individual warrior. I also made a mistake on the knight's armor. He said people often get tournament armor and battlefield armor mistaken. The tournament armor was like being put into a tank because the king didn't need his best warriors dying in tournaments. Battlefield armor was well made and easy to move in.
I apologize for my misleading writings. I have read a lot on eastern warriors, especially the samuria. I've read countless styles and from what I've read I thought it was more stressed in Japan(emptyhand that is). Anyway it is almost impossible to put two warriors of history against each other.
Thanks for all the info george and a great conversation. If you don't mind I would like your email address so if I ever have anymore I can just ask you. Thanks
Tanner
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first few minutes of their encounter as they sizes each other up evaluating the others equipment the way each moves would be critical: If we could put them in front of each other knowing nothing of the other's fighting style each would be a mystery to the other until they started to move choosing guards and reacting to the other's moves.

In these early moments exist the greatest chance that each could surprise the other using a completely new techniques for the other.

Maybe not the only factor but the one who can learn and adapt the fastest to the other has the best chance of anticipating the other's next move and choosing an effective counter.

I would think this always happens when any two warriors face off against each other: The only differences are that when we imagine these impossible in real life encounters between any two fighters separated by geography and time the degree of initial " strangeness " or equipment advantages are exaggerated.

Bottom like the best warrior wins unless some large technical advantage in equipment gives the lesser fighter a big advantage: Samurai versus WWII Soldier armed with a BAR at 50 yards with no cover !

As I mentioned before if one could do a " theoretical " comparison of fighting forms one could try and guess what techniques from one fighting culture would be the effective equivalent counter in the other fighting culture.: Sort of like doing the math !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
As I’m ‘pretty sure’ mail will give way before an English longbow with socket-headed arrows, would it also give way before a tang-headed arrow?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it would, assuming the arrow had enough energy. There are many account of Middle Eastern arrows piercing mail and other types of armor (including a few accounts from the crusades). As far as I know, socketed arrows were rarely if ever used by these cultures.
Henrik Olsgaard

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This discussion on Samurai vs.Knight reminds me of similar ones of 38 years ago , when western combat was first being experimented with in my area. In spite of relatively recent developments in the study of European fighting manuals from the middle ages, I don't believe it's possible to really make any factual determination of "who would win". There are too many unknowns and there seems to be a significant inequality of the cultures in question. These are in the form of resources and traditions. The tradition of the Japanese warriors was one of virtual isolation exce[pt for occasional attempted invasions and the small European presence that didn't last for too long. So combat forms and experience was limited to mostly local experiences. Certainly some Samurai were mercenaries that went abroad to serve in foreign - but usually Asian- lands against likely inferior opponants. Any martial lessons learned may not have been brought back to Japan for sharing with the military minds of the time since such foreign service was likely for life ( such as the Japanese Samurai Body Guards of the King of Siam).

Europeans warriors on the other hand had the experiences of foreign wars or tournaments to broaden their experiences and abilities. Europeans also had relatively large resources of iron produced from iron ores usually smelted with coal fired smelters ( a technology still used today throughout the modern world) for making weapons and armor while the Japanese had much less. This is one of the reasons the japanese armor was so much less in quantity and protective coverage, since it cost so much more. The iron was so costly ( being smelted from iron bearing sand with charcoal fired smelters - a less efficient technology nearly nonexistant in first world nations today) that only some of it was made into steel to only be used for the cutting edges of weapons and tools. This steel was cared for so much more by the sheathing of virtually all cutting edges on weapons and tools to protect them from damage by rust or abbrasion when not in actual use.

Contrary to some Hollywood film presentations, Japanese swords don't break into two peices when abused. They simply bend and only the cutting edge is likely to crack and break. This is because they are mostly made from low carbon steel layers sandwiched between lesser amounts of high carbon steel and only the cutting edge is mostly high carbon steel. European swords on the other hand are usually homogenously higher carbon steel and are a result of higher technological practices. That isn't to say they are better, simply they use higher amounts of energy and more materials and processing to produce, than Japanese swords. Likewise European metal armor used more resources to produce and so were easily valued by the Japanese when a few pieces of them were brought to Japan. It's like someone bringing a solid gold wastebasket to your house. Certainly you will value it over any you already have at home, regardless of how much they can hold.

So to compare the two warrior cultures fairly, they should be compared on the basis of equal access to the other's cultural experiences and resources, and in that case aren't we just comparing two human beings?

Henrik
George Hill

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Olsgaard wrote:

So to compare the two warrior cultures fairly, they should be compared on the basis of equal access to the other's cultural experiences and resources, and in that case aren't we just comparing two human beings?

Henrik, All you say is true.... except this. The Knights and the Samurai were both very highly developed groups, to strip them of their development is akin to stripping humanity of it's evolution from the lower orders of primates. Admittedly, the Knights had a tremendous equipment advantage due to their better resources, and an experience advantage due to conflict with many wildly different groups, and (With some exceptions) an advantage in improvisation due to a less regimented culture, but that's the point of contrasting them against each other as they actually were. To discover these things.

And of course, we must not forget these things, as these advantages are so often ignored by the general public in favor of the myth of the Samurai sword.

Jack Yang

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

3 whole pages of discussions is too much for me to read... i ll just post my answer to the question:
in a 1v1 fight:
if S (samurai) and K (knight) are euqally skilled, neither is wearing armor, and both are using swords, then I think it'll just be a matter of luck (that is, if we discount the strength difference between fold steel and.... eropean steel, for lack of better terming) . If both are unarmed, Japanese hand to hand martial arts would've been more developed than the eroupeans', and thus S will have an advantage. If both are armed with pole arms, I think the Japanese would still have the advantage, 'cause to my opinion, their naginata is better than any european pole arms (for 1v1 combat). But if armor is involved, then the European would definitly have the upper hand, the japanese armor werent even nearly as protective as European armor, and plus the samurais never used shields (not including those big wooden thing used for blocking arrows).
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jack Yang wrote:
3 whole pages of discussions is too much for me to read... i ll just post my answer to the question:
in a 1v1 fight:
if S (samurai) and K (knight) are euqally skilled, neither is wearing armor, and both are using swords, then I think it'll just be a matter of luck (that is, if we discount the strength difference between fold steel and.... eropean steel, for lack of better terming) .

Jack,
I don't like when people there is "too much to read." If you want to fully participate in a discussion, you might need to know what else has been said. Please don't be a lazy poster. Happy

For what it's worth, I don't think people have proven that Japanese folded steel has an inherent strength advantage over "European" steel, mono or pattern-welded. The Japanese folded their blades because they had to, aka their raw materials weren't naturally very good, so they had to get creative.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I somehow get a kick out of this kind of stuff. Laughing Out Loud

For me, this is an easy question to answer in my humble opinion.

If both were in their armor, the European Knight in plate armor. The knight would win because European plate armor is superior to the armor worn by Samurais.
Katanas do not cut through tempered 16 gauge plate armor! Laughing Out Loud

Bob
James Lopez

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: This         Reply with quote

WWWOOOeee man i love these topics anyway if we put a Knight in Armor and a samurai in Armor an about to fight sizing each other up .i,m thinking the knight seeing he has better equipment may get over confident and attack with brute strenth while the samurai seeing he is at a disadvantage of the better euqipment but more mobile will likely seize the opportunity and parry the blows or take a few step backs so that the knight misses and he is tiring out also there is holes and vunerable points in his(knights)armor and when he is tired the samurai will reach out and cut him to ribbons through the holes of course.(its kinda similar to a boxing match a Light Weight Boxer(samurai) vs. (Knight) Heavy weight Boxer)don't forget samurais are like 5'5 and knights are 6'0 or 6'3 i,m not sure how that is supposed to do something but again the knight will probaly get overconfident in his size of course hmmmm....yeah that bout it so far! Razz

Oh yeah almost forgot i was watching Mansers and they put a Katana againt a .45 and the bullet got slices into 2 and the blade didnt even get scathed. Laughing Out Loud

El Lopez,Imperial Lieutenat Colonel of the Kasursain Empire,Diplomat of the Tribe Domination,And the Protector of the weak conquerer of the Corrupt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bennison N

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Equal. Both kick serious bottom, and would make better allies than opponents...

It's down to whoever is in better shape, whoever has practiced the most, and whoever can read the other better.

A Katana can't cut plate armour, that's true... But neither can a Katana cut Japanese armour easily either... That's why the armour is made like that. I don't see a European sword cutting through any easier against Japanese armour. The thrusting superiority of many Euro sword designs might be a factor... But I would think a Bushi could devise a strategy with only a little prior research. Likewise for the Knight and the almost-exclusively-cutting techniques Bushi use.

I don't agree that a Naginata is that much better than European pole-arms... And not every Bushi has a Naginata anyway... Not all Samurai can use one in the first place. Girls and Monks used them far more often than Bushi did. Yari vs. Spear is a much better comparison.

Longbowmen and Samurai Archers... Equal. Both types of bows take years and years to use with any skill, so it's back down to the better trained and naturally gifted for that as well.

Let's try it and see... The next time anyone keen is in or near NZ, I'll go bokken on waster (suited up) with you anytime. Just email me. We can film it and show these guys if you like...

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Instead of theorizing on the issue, why don't we simply look at the various combats that took place between Japanese and European fighting men, during the 16th and 17th centuries?
"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Black Mastro wrote:
Instead of theorizing on the issue, why don't we simply look at the various combats that took place between Japanese and European fighting men, during the 16th and 17th centuries?

I don't think that those pitted samurai against knights as such. Most of the European military presence in East or Southeast Asia in was there to protect various Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch trading interests; some of the trading companies even employed Japanese mercenary troops (whom I've also seen referred to as pirates, but that's another story.) Besides, by the 16th Century, I believe the trend in most European armies leaned toward employing forces of professional soldiers rather than groupings of knights.

Also, the Japanese, for much of their history, have been rather, well, insular. Most of their foreign adventures prior to the Meiji Restoration were in Korea and Manchuria, and wouldn't have brought them into any meaningful contact with European forces.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The European Knight vs. The Japanese Samurai
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: