Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which sword to choose? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Which sword to choose?         Reply with quote

for an extremely long time I've been wanting to get an albion sword. the question is which one. I've waited so long, because I've wanted to finalize my kit. so here it is- 1380-1390 northern italian export armour. I'll be making the armour with Aaron (Valerius) and once I finish the armour I want a sword to go with my kit.

So which albion sword would fit my time period. I've been looking a lot at three imparticular- the agincourt, the constable, and the Yeoman. the sword does not have to be the exact time period but within 10-15 years.

Thank you for your help,

Aaron

BTW. I want to have a custom ri\ondel dagger made- can anyone suggest a place for me to commission one from?
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sword to choose?         Reply with quote

Aaron J. Cergol wrote:
for an extremely long time I've been wanting to get an albion sword. the question is which one. I've waited so long, because I've wanted to finalize my kit. so here it is- 1380-1390 northern italian export armour. I'll be making the armour with Aaron (Valerius) and once I finish the armour I want a sword to go with my kit.

So which albion sword would fit my time period. I've been looking a lot at three imparticular- the agincourt, the constable, and the Yeoman. the sword does not have to be the exact time period but within 10-15 years.

Thank you for your help,

Aaron

BTW. I want to have a custom ri\ondel dagger made- can anyone suggest a place for me to commission one from?

If this isn't the lace to post this please let me know.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sword to choose?         Reply with quote

Aaron J. Cergol wrote:
... So which albion sword would fit my time period. I've been looking a lot at three imparticular- the agincourt, the constable, and the Yeoman. the sword does not have to be the exact time period but within 10-15 years ....

Of those three swords, my own preference would be for the Constable. The Constable fits your time period dead-on, and I happen to prefer the Constable's style over the Agincourt. I also prefer it's hand-and-a-half size to the Yeoman's single hand type XIV. While the Yeoman is a bit early for your period, type XIV's would certainly have been around in the late 1300's, so, if you really like it, that is fine, too.

Did you consider one of the Type XVII's - the Landgraf or Sempach? I have a Landgraf and I'm very pleased with it. These two swords are appropriate for your period, also.

Quote:
Arms & Armor has a production rondel, and I'm sure they would be happy to make up a custom piece for you.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you. I have thought about the sempach/landgraf, but I'm just not crazy about hexagonal cross sections on blades. the hexagonal cross section just reminds me of a cheap sword I used to own- I know these are different though.

I have seen arms and armours rondel and I happen to like it alot, but I want something more unique. But I have been considering them for a custom rondel.

Thank you for your help,

Aaron
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron J. Cergol wrote:
... I have thought about the sempach/landgraf, but I'm just not crazy about hexagonal cross sections on blades. the hexagonal cross section just reminds me of a cheap sword I used to own- I know these are different though ....
The Landgraf blade is very elegant, in my opinion. But, I agree that it is very hard to get beyond one's first impression, after seeing something similar on a cheap piece.

Quote:
I have seen arms and armours rondel and I happen to like it alot, but I want something more unique. But I have been considering them for a custom rondel ...

A couple of other custom sources:
- Eric McHugh at Albion has made several custom rondels in the recent past. Here is a link to Mr. McHugh's artisan page at Albion, where you will find some photos of one of those rondels - very nice!
- Don Halter also offered another nice-looking rondel about six months ago.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of those three, the Agincourt might fit the best. The Yeoman is too early; the prevailing thought is that Type XIV swords were popular between 1260 and 1340. The Constable is too late in my opinion. While it's named for a 100 Years War figure, that faceted scent-stopper pommel places that sword pretty firmly in the 15th century, and likely later rather than earlier.

I think though that the Crecy or Sempach would be better choices for the time period, as would the Poitiers. The Sempach is probably the best time period match. It's from a family of swords used from Germanic lands to Britain.

As a Sempach owner, it's a very elegant sword. Its blade is nothing like the clumsy hex sections usually seen on cheap swords. It's well-done, nicely proportioned and quite historical.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a heads-up if a Constable is still in consideration...
Jason Dingledine has one for sale over on the classifieds:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7801
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the single-hand sword, why not go with the type XV, Poitiers? It is the most likely model for someone around 1390.

I have a Castellan, and would recommend that great bastard sword , but it is essentially the same as the Constable, and you may not want to spend another $100.00 for its pommel, extremely cool though it is. I would think they handle in a similar way (though the specs are just a little different), and the Castellan is very fast and maneuverable
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I have a Castellan, and would recommend that great bastard sword , but it is essentially the same as the Constable, and you may not want to spend another $100.00 for its pommel, extremely cool though it is. I would think they handle in a similarl way (though the specs are just a little different), and the Castellan is very fast and maneuverable

I love the Castellan, but I think it's still a bit too late for the time period he's looking for. I don't think it's as "late" as the Constable, but still too late for that time period. Oakeshott dated the sword the Castellan is based off of as 1420-1460.

Happy

ChadA

Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all, this is helping a lot.

as for the landgraf would it be accurate to have a gothic style grip on it? like the one by Christian Fletcher here- http://www.christianfletcher.com/Site/Landgraf.html
because that looks stellar in my opinion. the more I look at the blade of the landgraf/sempach the more I begin to like them.

Actually the Sempach would fit my other kit perfectly. my other kit is replicating the effigy of Walter Von Hohenklingen who died at the battle of Sepach. once I finish my first kit, I'll just be upgrading it to replicate the effigy.

I am assuming the Kingmaker would be too late, correct?

Thank you for your help,

Aaron
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron J. Cergol wrote:

as for the landgraf would it be accurate to have a gothic style grip on it? like the one by Christian Fletcher here- http://www.christianfletcher.com/Site/Landgraf.html
because that looks stellar in my opinion. the more I look at the blade of the landgraf/sempach the more I begin to like them.

The Landgraf would be fine in stock configuration. The Gothic grip treatment is anachronistic, in my opinion though, unless you're going for a mid 15th century impression where the person has upgraded/re-gripped an old family sword from the turn of the century. Does it look neat? Sure. For me, that's not enough. Happy

The Kingmaker is a little too late. It's based mostly off a sword dated to 1425-1450.

Happy

ChadA

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
... The Constable is too late in my opinion. While it's named for a 100 Years War figure, that faceted scent-stopper pommel places that sword pretty firmly in the 15th century, and likely later rather than earlier.
Oops! Blush yes - my brain shifted centuries.

Quote:
... The Sempach is probably the best time period match. It's from a family of swords used from Germanic lands to Britain ... it's a very elegant sword. Its blade is nothing like the clumsy hex sections usually seen on cheap swords. It's well-done, nicely proportioned and quite historical.
Absolutely. A similar statement can be made of the Landgraf, which is built on the same blade.
- Sir Toby Belch
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am in no position of knowledge to advise you on which sword would be right for your kit, "but" on the Rondel Dagger, I would definitely go the route that I have gone, that being to order a "custom" Rondel Dagger from Arms & Armor.
I should be getting mine pretty soon now, I'd say within the next couple of weeks. I have 8 of their swords, about as many polearms and this will be my 4 dagger from them and I've been more than happy with each and every piece. So I know I am going to love this Rondel.

So far from Albion Swords I have the Berserkr and the Vassal and I am "Nuts" about both of them! My next Albion will be the Talhoffer, I wrestled in my mind over the Agincourt and the Talhoffer for quite some time and then this past summer I had the chance to handle the Talhoffer belonging to one of our mutual colleagues of the sword "Chris Last" and the hilt really appealed to me a whole lot! Although this is a bit way off your time period, I'm working on strategies, pleas, or even a well spoken downright begging to my wife and mother for my 50th birthday this coming summer, to get the Albion "Dane"! Laughing Out Loud

That Agincourt is a real beauty though! Of course it is the same blade on both the Agincourt and the Talhoffer and WOW is that ever one hell of a blade on that sword! It is quite ominous and dreadful, yet stunning as it is striking! You can't appreciate how big this sword is, until you have it in your hands!

But for a Rondel? I'd definitely get a custom Rondel from Arms & Armor!

Wish I could be of more help.

Bob
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all, I (think) I have finally chosen the Landgraf. I'm liking the blade more and more and the hilt is awesome. for the colour I'm going to get a dark red. so hopefully within the next month or two I will be ordering it.

I too have held Chris' Talhoffer, and I fell in love with it as well. Are you sure that the Agincourt and the Talhoffer share the same blade?

Thanks again,

Aaron
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron J. Cergol wrote:
Thank you all, I (think) I have finally chosen the Landgraf. I'm liking the blade more and more and the hilt is awesome. for the colour I'm going to get a dark red. so hopefully within the next month or two I will be ordering it.

I too have held Chris' Talhoffer, and I fell in love with it as well. Are you sure that the Agincourt and the Talhoffer share the same blade?

Thanks again,

Aaron

The Landgraf is a nice sword. You'll enjoy it. Happy

Albion only makes 2 Type XVa blades. The shorter wider version is used on the Castellan, Constable, and Mercenary. The Agnincourt & Talhoffer use a longer, more slender blade.

Happy

ChadA

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron J. Cergol wrote:
The Landgraf is an excellent choice! And the dark red grip will look wonderful. Good decision!
- Sir Toby Belch
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Aaron on your decision of the Langraf, may you dwell well many a long happy day with this very fine sword!
Yes Sir, so as I understand it, the Agincourt and the Talhoffer do indeed share the same exact blade, I drove myself a bit nuts over the two before coming to a conclusion. Yes, Chris Last sure is a great guy! Wait till next summer and I let him get a feel of my Albion Vassal! Laughing Out Loud

I don't know when I will be ordering the Talhoffer but it is for sure, my first and foremost sword to get next is the Arms & Armor King Edward III Sword with a custom hollow grind then off to Russ Ellis for a super high end custom scabbard and belt with all the plaques spiffy buckles, you name it, no luxury spared! In celebration of becoming a half a century old in 2007. God I am getting old! Cry

Anyway, this is your thread Aaron! And once again Congratulations! Let us know what you do for a Rondel Exclamation
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the look of the pommel (type H1?) on the Landgraf. I think you would have also been happy with the Talhoffer.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a high end custom Rondel I would also consider Tod at http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/ These are not cheap by any means but they are absolutely outstanding. You also cannot go wrong with Arms and Armor as has been previously mentioned.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Mon 23 Oct, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies!

Russ- thanks for the link. and in a month or two when I purchase this sword, expect an order for a custom scabbard from you.

thanks again,

Aaron

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which sword to choose?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: