Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spartan vs Samurai. Who would win? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:

Also, why all the talk of Romans? Aren't we discussing Spartans?

The reason I brought up the Romans is because they actually defeated Greeks. So we might want to consider what gave them the ability to do so. We might then reflect that back on the Spartans. Spartans were different form Hellenistic era Greeks, but they would have had more similarities then differences. We will find no absolute answers there but we can get some clues.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
Here is a SFI discussion I previously followed, and posted into a few times, on Greek Swordsmanship:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=88979

Interesting discussion, that one. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Quote:
I joined in because I was looking for records of Kopis use outside the red and black jar images to apply to my own Kopis use. (snip) But I really did expect swordsmanship to be much more widespread than it apparently actually was. And that something in some way instructional would be still available today...

I'm not disputing any of that--only the notion that somehow the lack of surviving fechtbuch-style instructions or koryu-like schools surviving from Ancient Greece is evidence that Ancient Greek swordsmanship skill would have been ineffective against a samurai. The sword might have been a secondary weapon to the Greeks but it was an important secondary weapon. Moreover, as I've explained before, the Japanese sword fetish is largely a product of the Tokugawa era, and before that the samurai would have treated their weapons in a more realistic way, relying on a panoply that included a bow, a polearm, or a firearm as well as sword(s), armor, and dagger. Even then, when we look at existing records of the equipment carried by the Forty-Nine Ronin when they busted into the Kira mansion--smack in the middle of the Tokugawa era with all its reverence for the sword--we can't help noticing that 20 out of the 33 men (for whom we have records) carried a spear, a naginata, or a bow and arrow in addition to their swords, giving the lie to the idea that "samurai" was identical with "swordsman."

In essence, I'm just saying that the assertion you made earlier:

Quote:
One on one, the ignorance of sword techniques would leave a Hoplite at a serious disadvantage, whereas a Samurai who is skilled at sword considers his skill as important as a young girl considers her virtue

is simply insupportable in light of the available evidence, most of all because we don't know enough of ancient Greek swordsmanship methods to realistically pronounce with any degree of confidence that they were appreciably inferior to Japanese kenjutsu--not to mention that comparing the swordmanship skills of the two very different kinds of warriors would have been an overly narrow (I might even say naive) way of speculating about the relative advantages and disadvantages of each when we know that both of them also made extensive and skillful use weapons other than the sword.

Quote:
Maybe you could help me out with where to look, because none of those guys could that time... In the end, we just agreed to disagree.

I guess it's pretty much tough luck if you're looking for fechtbuch-style detailed techniques and prescriptions. On the other hand, if you're just looking for general information, David Nicolle's article is a pretty decent summary of some of the available sources--and English translations of many of the sources cited in the article are accessible online, such as Plutarch's Life of Lycurgus ( http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14033/14033-h/...F_LYKURGUS ), the same writer's Life of Timoleon ( http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14033/14033-h/...F_TIMOLEON ), his Moralia ( http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23639/23639-h/23639-h.htm ), and Herodotus's account of Thermopylae ( http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Herother.html ).

Quote:
Also, why all the talk of Romans? Aren't we discussing Spartans?

Because somebody mentioned that the Romans beat the Greeks, and I felt compelled to explain that things were nowhere near as simple as that.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where is the match taking place and who is appointing the judges?..... That could contribute as much to the outcome as whatever else has been mentionned so far, and if there are no judges, or witnesses, then we are left with the age old question as to whether a tree that falls in the forest makes any noise.... I am of the view that equipment doesn't win fights, unless there are technical inequalities ( don't bring a knife to a gun fight).... If we are going on pure sci-fi emotion, my money is on the spartan, they fought athenians and persians, samourais only defeated other samourais.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Gene Green

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Where is the match taking place and who is appointing the judges?..... That could contribute as much to the outcome as whatever else has been mentionned so far, and if there are no judges, or witnesses, then we are left with the age old question as to whether a tree that falls in the forest makes any noise.... I am of the view that equipment doesn't win fights, unless there are technical inequalities ( don't bring a knife to a gun fight).... If we are going on pure sci-fi emotion, my money is on the spartan, they fought athenians and persians, samourais only defeated other samourais.

Couldn't agree more. The Greeks fought a wide variety of foes. Throw in Macedonians and you have an army that defeated Indians, Persians, Egyptians, various nomadic tribes, etc. etc. Using equipment very similar to Spartan. The Japanese, OTOH, didn't have such a great military history until they adopted modern European style arms, tactics and organization. This is not to say that Samurai weren't great warriors - but their "ultimate warrior" status is more stuff of movies than reality.

Romans, IMHO, employed a style similar to Greek, although they were much more about getting in really close and stabbing the enemy while hidden behind a large shield - the Greeks were more reliant on the spear. But I think they did it the Roman style as well. And Romans were very successful against very different peoples and fighting styles. And probably were able to fight one on one as well as in formation.

BTW, I don't believe that Romans defeated Macedonian army at Cynocephalae because they had superior way of fighting (i.e. manipulas vs the Phalanx) , but rather because Flaminius was a better commander, he was able to find a hilly plain where the Phalanx was at disadvantage, was able to use enemy's mistakes to his advantage, and was plain lucky as well. While Philip V had misused the Phalanx, let it fight in conditions that favored his enemy, didn't have his sh#t together (the left flank was still marching to the battle while his center and right were already engaged), didn't have enough cavalry protecting his main force from being outflanked by the Romans, basically he looks through the whole affair as an arrogant, overconfident, incompetent s.o.b. Even so, the Romans had nearly lost the battle, if my memory serves me right.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Samurai? THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!1!

Sorry, just had to do it. Also I'd like to believe that a Spartan would win, even if they did breed themselves out of existence.

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

lol, that was funny Sam.

Gene, you are right about the Romans almost loosing that battle. I also mentioned that in one of my earlier posts.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think anytime we draw comparisons to Rome vs Hellenistic armies, and then use this as a comparison to Spartan armies we have to be real careful.

There was a huge difference between Spartan and Macedonian armies, and even a decent difference between Alexandrian Macedonian armies and Hellenisitc ones.

The Sparatan Hoplite was the defense and offense of an army composed almost exclusively of Hoplites. The Macedonian army was a combined force army really better at these tactics than any at least until late Roman times, and then I'd still say the Macedonian one was better at what it did. The later Hellenisitic armies were similar to those of Macedon but relied more and more as time went by on the Phalanx - the Hypaspists became elite pikemen as opposed to an elite unit guarding the pikemen's flank (we are not 100% clear on this but to the best that can be ascertained this was their function, but their armnanment is a bit up i the air - generally thought to be shorter spears). There was less use of missile troops in hellenistic ones, and the cavalry in most Hellenisitc armies was reduced in comparison to the amount of Pikemen.

Why was this done - not really sure. Best guess is either economic issues (Companion cavalry were expensive to maintain), or perhaps that the armies were more tailor made to fighting other Hellenisitc armies, all push of pike with little reliance on combned arms. Perhaps a bit of both of these reasons.

But the big thing to rememeber with any Roman comparison - the Pikemen the Romans fought were not designed to be the battle winners. Pikemen don't pursue well, particularily over rough ground - as the Hellenistic armies found out which resulted in their defeat on a few occasions where they had beat the Roman forces in the initial push and lost the battle when they became disorgaized in pursuit.

Bith Pikemen and Legionairre lose formation to a point in rough ground - but the support of other rows of pikemen and thereby a solid formation is crucial to pikemen. With sword armed infantry it is not as important.

Roamn beating Hellenistic armies is not IMO the superiority of the Legionairre over the pikemen - as mentioned, Pyrrhus showed that he could defeat the Roman armies on a regular basis.

Also, a spartan hoplite is more similar to a roman legionairre than a Hellenistic pikeman. They are actually somewhere in the middle, better at close combat than a pikeman, better in formation then a legionairre, but not as good in formation as a Pikeman or as good in close as a legionairre. This though is strictly based on how they were armed and fought - With a Spartan being an elite trained type they were better due to this as well, could probably fight one on one as well as a legionairre, and in formation could probably take on a oike formation of the later Hellenistic states. At least their morlae would give them good staying power against either.

I think the Eartern Martial Art thing is of course somewhat myth. Eastern martial arts (at least the unarmed ones) have survived well in our current society, not as much of the western ones. Boxing and wresting are forms of western martial arts, but clearly tournament forms for the most part, making them look ineffecutual to a point as their is not a true wester non-tournament self defense form.

Reminds me when my brother told me a few weeks ago he was enrolling his son in the martial arts. I asked which one - Boxing, wrrestling, or a form of Karate?

The hypothetical question though is pretty impossible to answer. We have to remember Spartans and Samurai were men just like us. Well trained, different mentality, but still men. In an athletic event, I'd take a 21st century athlete any day over one of these supermen. The athlete with better nutrition and a smarter approach to training would win out the majority of time, depending on tyype of event of course as well.

But whil the one on one would be almost impossible to answer, in an open battlefield I'd go with a Japanese army from the Samurai period over the Spartans, due to combined arms. Holding a narrow pass like Thermopylae in a do or die situation, give me the Spartans of course, with Leonidas!
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Larson wrote:

The Greek fighting art of Pankration or Panmachia was an amazing backbone for their polemiki tehni fighting style that incorporated the ability to counter either multiple or single foes as being an individual. Even so much of the ancient Greek martial arts played an influence into Asian martial arts due to the conquests of Alexander the Great.

There's no real evidence that pankration had any influence on Asian martial arts, despite the claims of some modern pankration "revivalists" (for lack of a better term).

Don't get me wrong--having studied Brazilian jiu-jitsu, I can certainly appreciate the numerous submission holds found in ancient pankration, but I suspect that similar techniques from different cultures have more to do with parallel evolution, than anything else.

Quote:
Samurai, following the use of Karate, ju-jitsu, and many other techniques that involved "open-hand" fighting, were actually influenced styles that originated from Chinese, Korean, and Thai martial arts, which in turn as well had influence by Greek warriors in the many conquests they carried out.

The samurai never used "karate".

Karate (lit., "Chinese hand") is a modern Okinawan martial art, derived from an earlier method known simply as te. The very name of karate indicates a strong influence by Continental Asian (specifically, Chinese) martial arts. When karate was adopted by the Japanese, the characters were changed, so that the name meant "empty hand" (this was likely done for nationalistic reasons). Karate was then taken by the Japanese and transplanted to Korea, during Japan's 30-year occupation of that country, from 1910-1945. During this time, various Koreans learned shotokan and some other Japanese forms of karate, and that was the basis for Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, et al.

As for the samurai, when they were at their military height, they used two related arts--sumai (the more combative precursor of sumo wrestling) and yoroi kumi-uchi (military grappling & HTH combat in armor). It's also worth noting that these methods were created and developed more or less independently (i.e., they did not "originate" from China, Korea, or Thailand).

And the first jujutsu ryu wasn't established until the 16th century A.D./C.E.

For what it's worth.

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
I think the Eartern Martial Art thing is of course somewhat myth. Eastern martial arts (at least the unarmed ones) have survived well in our current society, not as much of the western ones. Boxing and wresting are forms of western martial arts, but clearly tournament forms for the most part, making them look ineffecutual to a point as their is not a true wester non-tournament self defense form.

Anyone who has been caught in a catch-as-catch-can/Lancashire double wristlock, or who has been on the receiving end of a Greco-Roman suplex, or who has been clipped by a simple right cross from boxing would NOT think that surviving Western martial arts are "ineffectual".

The fact that most of the surviving Western fighting methods have evolved into combat sports has led to a great deal of misunderstanding, as to the actual effectiveness of these methods. Many folks wrongly assume that because these methods are taught as "sports", that they somehow must not be effective in actual fighting.

When legendary judoka/jujutsuka Mitsuyo Maeda travelled to the West in the early 1900s, he actually competed in London as a catch wrestler, and even incorporated techniques from CACC, that were not part of the judo curriculum. British and American catch wrestlers routinely engaged in "mixed matches" against Japanese judoka/jujutsuka in the early 20th century, and there were victories on both sides. Many decades later (in the 1960s), the latter-day CACC "shooter" (legit wrestler) Karl Gotch went to Japan, and amazed the local martial artists with his grappling skill. Gotch went on to teach folks like Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Akira Maeda, and Masami Sorananka. Students of these men include such noteworthy modern MMA (Mixed Martial Art) pioneers as Masakatsu Funaki, and Minoru Suzuki--the founders of PANCRASE.

And Western boxing and fencing have likewise proven their effectiveness, time and again.

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it possible to get a reference for where you heard that Thai Martial Arts influenced those used by Samurai? I'd like to research that a bit further.

Also... No Greeks ever invaded China, Korea or Thailand. At least not that long ago...

In terms of how much Alexander and his Macedonian War Machine influenced the martial traditions of the defeated cultures... I have had some personal experience with ancient Martial Art styles that fall into the area of Alexander's conquered empire, and I don't really see how Pankration could have influenced their development. The first I can think of is Varsesh-e Pahlavani, which is a Persian (Iranian) style which existed in those times, and possibly before, and which doesn't resemble what I know of Pankration at all. The next one I have encountered on my travels is Kalaripayattu, from India, with a creation date said to be far, far before Alexander... or even Phillip... or even Leonidas. This again does not resemble Pankration at all. In fact, Kalaripayattu is likely to be a source of tremendous influence over Shaolin Temple Martial Arts, which, despite popular belief, was not the original Chinese Martial Art.

Moving back to Macedonian influence, I agree that Nepalese Khukri resemble the Kopis and Falcata, suggesting some influence of the Macedonians onto the Nepalese of the day, but the use of these weapons isn't very similar, as Khukri aren't used by mounted forces, and Falcata were Macedonian Cavalry swords.

Also, Western Boxing has perhaps the most effective solo training routines ever developed for unarmed fighting. Boxing techniques include some of the hardest punches possible for the human body to perform. If you want to get fit quickly, train in boxing. I also know that it was very popular during Roman times, preferred to Wrestling by many Romans, as wrestling was seen as a pastime more for Greeks, whom were considered by Roman Romans, it appears, as the decadent descendants of once-great ancestors. So many died in impromptu boxing matches (both organised matches and on the streets) that it was banned towards the end of the 4th century AD throughout the empire. Even previous to that, boxing matches involving the use of "mailed fists" known as Caestus were popular, and these were banned in the 1st century AD due, again, to high body counts. It's not my favourite or anything, but Western Boxing is very cool...

Tae Kwon Pup and Hwarang Do are examples of Korean styles that predate the Japanese Occupation, and were the basis for Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do. These schools were not recognised or allowed during the time of the "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere", which was a time when Taiwanese and Korean people were forced to even adopt Japanese names and speak 日本語... and therefore had to adapt to continue existence. The Japanese Schools of Kempo and Karate merely influenced the adoption of certain techniques for appearance, the grading systems, breaking exercises and the use of coloured belts for rank.

It's also interesting to note that the word "Kempo" in Kanji is pronounced "Chuan Fa" in Chinese. "Chuan Fa", which means "Fist Method" (a translation easier to understand), was the original name of Bodhidharma's exercises for Song Shan (Shaolin) Monks to stave off the negative effects of immobile meditation and protect the temple. So it appears that it was also adopted from Chinese Martial Arts. Actually... Shorinji Kempo in Kanji is Shaolin Si Chuan Fa in Hanzi.

Even so, it seems that not enough Greeks were Pankrationists to really make much difference to this discussion. What use is the one-finger-bent submission on a battlefield anyway? And in a battle, both Hoplites and Bushi use weapons and armour. Weapons and armour beat Pankration and Karate in my book... Because you can't use an armbar if you cut off the arm... And who wants to try kicking a sword, right?

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:

In terms of how much Alexander and his Macedonian War Machine influenced the martial traditions of the defeated cultures... I have had some personal experience with ancient Martial Art styles that fall into the area of Alexander's conquered empire, and I don't really see how Pankration could have influenced their development. The first I can think of is Varsesh-e Pahlavani, which is a Persian (Iranian) style which existed in those times, and possibly before, and which doesn't resemble what I know of Pankration at all.

Tell us more about Varesh-e Pahlavani.

Quote:
Moving back to Macedonian influence, I agree that Nepalese Khukri resemble the Kopis and Falcata, suggesting some influence of the Macedonians onto the Nepalese of the day, but the use of these weapons isn't very similar, as Khukri aren't used by mounted forces, and Falcata were Macedonian Cavalry swords.

The kopis and similar single-edged, forward-swept swords (eg., the machaira and falcata) were used by infantry as well.

Quote:
Also, Western Boxing has perhaps the most effective solo training routines ever developed for unarmed fighting. Boxing techniques include some of the hardest punches possible for the human body to perform. If you want to get fit quickly, train in boxing. I also know that it was very popular during Roman times, preferred to Wrestling by many Romans, as wrestling was seen as a pastime more for Greeks, whom were considered by Roman Romans, it appears, as the decadent descendants of once-great ancestors. So many died in impromptu boxing matches (both organised matches and on the streets) that it was banned towards the end of the 4th century AD throughout the empire. Even previous to that, boxing matches involving the use of "mailed fists" known as Caestus were popular, and these were banned in the 1st century AD due, again, to high body counts.

What is your source for this?

I ask this merely because I've never heard of the use of the caestus being "banned" in the 1st century A.D./C.E., and I've seen mosaics showing boxers equipped with the caestus, which date from a century later (see Combat Sports in the Ancient World by Michael B. Poliakoff).

Quote:
Tae Kwon Pup and Hwarang Do are examples of Korean styles that predate the Japanese Occupation, and were the basis for Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do. These schools were not recognised or allowed during the time of the "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere", which was a time when Taiwanese and Korean people were forced to even adopt Japanese names and speak 日本語... and therefore had to adapt to continue existence. The Japanese Schools of Kempo and Karate merely influenced the adoption of certain techniques for appearance, the grading systems, breaking exercises and the use of coloured belts for rank.

On the contrary, Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do come directly from Japanese styles of karate, not some indigenous Korean methods.

As noted by martial arts researcher extraordinaire Joseph R. Svinth in his excellent "Kronos" site, Tang Soo Do was created by one Hwang Kee, a Korean who trained in either Shotokan or Shutokai karate, while working for the Japanese in Manchuria. He opened his own school in 1945, in Seoul. The term Tang Soo Do is, in fact, "Karate" written in its pre-1936 characters.

As for Tae Kwon Do, all we have to do is let the Koreans speak for themselves. Joseph Svinth quoted TKD pioneer Kim Soo:

"After the liberation of Korea at the end of World War II, the martial arts instructors who began teaching in Korea were primarily Korean nationals; some who had learned Shotokan, and some who had learned Shudokan karate during their stay in Japan. It is these styles which are the genesis of modern Tae Kwon Do." (emphasis added)

Regarding Hwarang Do, it did not "predate the Japanese occupation"; Lee Joo-bang and Lee Joo-sang did not open the first Hwa Rang Do academy until 1960. And, while the name was taken from the Hwarang warriors of ancient Silla, there was no actual connection there. Apparently, Lee Joo-bang and his brother trained in a style called yu sool, a Korean method related to Hapkido, and thus perhaps to Japanese jujutsu as well.

The vast majority of modern Korean MA styles are derived from Japanese sources. Obvious examples include:

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do (derived from various Japanese karate styles)

Yudo (derived from Judo)

Gumdo (derived from Kendo)

Haedong Gumdo (derived from Kenjutsu)

The only surviving indigenous Korean art I'm personally aware of is their wrestling (ssireum). I suppose a case could be made for their archery as well, but I know next to nothing about modern Korean archery, and so I feel unqualified to really give an opinion on it.

In any case, the modern martial arts world is rife with all sorts of psuedo-history, some deliberately fabricated by folks with all sorts of agendas, and some the result of numerous misunderstandings, often over a long period of time. Korean fighting styles are full of such pseudo-history, and I've seen it in the Filipino arts and Western fencing, too.

Quote:
Even so, it seems that not enough Greeks were Pankrationists to really make much difference to this discussion. What use is the one-finger-bent submission on a battlefield anyway? And in a battle, both Hoplites and Bushi use weapons and armour. Weapons and armour beat Pankration and Karate in my book... Because you can't use an armbar if you cut off the arm... And who wants to try kicking a sword, right?

While I agree that the supposed influence of Greek pankration on Asian styles is dubious (as I already mentioned in a previous post above), it's worth noting that grappling, at least, has always figured prominently as an adjunct to armed combat, in the pre-gunpowder era. Both the Hoplites and Bushi made use especially of standing grappling (orthos and sumai/kumi-uchi, respectively). As for armbars and other jointlocks, they are, in fact, quite useful in such conflicts--while striking is predominantly useless against armored opponents, grappling is not. One sees armbars and other limb-breaks in Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance fighting methods from all over the world.

Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone who has been caught in a catch-as-catch-can/Lancashire double wristlock, or who has been on the receiving end of a Greco-Roman suplex, or who has been clipped by a simple right cross from boxing would NOT think that surviving Western martial arts are "ineffectual".

My point was not that they are ineffectual. My point was that most mainstream western martial arts are strictly tournament, not taught in a self defense form. They are taught with tournament rules, designed to prevent serious injury. By doing this, they are "dumbed down" a bit as the goal is to win a match, not to seriously injure the opponent.

Many eastern martial arts are taught in both self defende versions and tournament versions.

My point being the western ones "appear" to be ineffectual, not that they truly are ineffectual.

MMA actually has brought some aspects of western martial arts more to the forefront. While still a tournament style of fighting, it has more similarity to true self defense than boxing or wrestling in their tournament forms.
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:

My point was not that they are ineffectual. My point was that most mainstream western martial arts are strictly tournament, not taught in a self defense form. They are taught with tournament rules, designed to prevent serious injury. By doing this, they are "dumbed down" a bit as the goal is to win a match, not to seriously injure the opponent.

With all due respect, your notion about what you refer to as "tournament rules" is flawed, and is based on some misconceptions and misunderstandings relating to combat sports.

Combat sports like boxing, wrestling, judo, and even MMA often come under criticism by both traditional martial artists, as well as by exponents of so-called "Reality Based Self-Defense" (RBSD). In many instances, such combat sports are totally dismissed out of hand, because of the "sport" connotation. What the critics don't seem to realize is that the combat sport training methodology is actually the format which has been proven to actually work, for literally thousands of years.

Back to those misunderstandings and misconceptions, let's take a look at what you claimed:

Quote:
They are taught with tournament rules, designed to prevent serious injury. By doing this, they are "dumbed down" a bit as the goal is to win a match, not to seriously injure the opponent.

Have you ever seen the high-amplitude throws of Greco-Roman wrestling, Russian sambo, or judo? Being on the receiving end of such throws can certainly cause "serious injury", even when the person being thrown knows how to breakfall.

Look also at the jointlocks, cranks, and chokes found in catch-as-catch-can/Lancashire wrestling, judo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and MMA--such submission holds can seriously cripple or even kill an opponent. Sure, the opponent is supposed to concede by tapping out when caught in a particular hold that he cannot escape from, but this doesn't always happen. Veteran shootfighter Bart Vale once soberly related how he saw a fellow fighter actually killed in the ring in Japan, via a choke that was held too long. The legendary catch wrestler Charles Olsen accidentally killed two fellow grapplers--Osborne Taylor in 1903, and Joe McCray Jr., in 1911 (both Taylor and McCray suffered broken necks).

As for the comment about combat sports being geared to "win a match, not to seriously injure the opponent", what do you make of boxing? Do we really even have to go over all the pugilists who have been killed in the ring, for the past 250 years or so?

Even fencing can be dangerous, given the risk of broken blades piercing a competitor's vitals. Quite a few fencers have actually been killed over the years, both in practice, and in tournaments. A Finnish epeeist was killed at the Stockholm championships, back in 1951. 20 years later, British foilist Vincent Bonfil was killed in a practice bout, when his opponent's broken blade went through his armpit; he bled out in 5 minutes. At the Rome world championships in 1982, the Russian world and Olympic champion Vladimir Smirnov was killed when the broken blade of his German opponent pierced his mask--and his brain.

Of course, combat sports have rulesets, in an effort to minimize injuries and fatalities, but the dangers are still there.

As for the actual effectiveness of combat sports, we would do well to consider what R.G. Allanson-Winn and C. Phillipps-Wolley wrote, in their useful little treatise of 1890, entitled Broadsword and Singlestick:

"When, in addition to the advantages of a national sport or collection of national sports, such as boxing, sword exercises, wrestling, etc., you recognize the possibility that the games you have been indulging in with your friends in playful contests may at almost any moment be utilized for defeating your enemies and possibly saving your life, you are forced to the conclusion that there are some sports at least which can be turned to practical account."

Quote:
Many eastern martial arts are taught in both self defende versions and tournament versions.

My point being the western ones "appear" to be ineffectual, not that they truly are ineffectual.

They only "appear" that way to folks who have little or no experience in effective combat methods--i.e., traditionalists or RBSD types who typically don't work with resisting opponents to begin with.

To those who do have experience in effective methods based around "live" training with resisting opponents (as typified by the combat sport training methodology), they will certainly see the truth clearly enough--for instance, a judoka will recognize the effectiveness of Western wrestling, and vice-versa.

Quote:
MMA actually has brought some aspects of western martial arts more to the forefront. While still a tournament style of fighting, it has more similarity to true self defense than boxing or wrestling in their tournament forms.

Again, you need to rid yourself of the preconceived notions about "tournament fighting".

How do you think Roman legionaries learned to fight with gladius and scutum? A considerable portion of their training involved engaging in competitive bouts with rebated weapons--thus, we have Flavius Josephus' comment about the Romans' method of training: "Their battle-drills are no different from the real thing; every man works as hard at his daily training as if he were on active service... It would not be far from the truth to call their drills bloodless battles, their battles bloody drills."

What about European knights? Well, as I recall, they participated in... you guessed it... tournaments!

How about those English and German swordsmen from the 16th century? They all had to "play the prize" in public bouts against numerous opponents. Bouts were fought either with wooden or whalebone wasters, or with rebated steel weapons. When John Blinkinsopps (aka "Blinkinsopps the Bold") first played his Free Scholar's prize, he was tested with three different weapons--the longsword, the backsword, and the sword-and-buckler. He faced 10 opponents in longsword, 12 in backsword, and 18 at sword-and-buckler. Given that he had to fight two bouts apiece with each opponent, that means he fought a grueling 80 bouts that day.

Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
With all due respect, your notion about what you refer to as "tournament rules" is flawed, and is based on some misconceptions and misunderstandings relating to combat sports.

Too bad you think this. I'm basing it on wrestling through high school, competetive boxing, and 8+ years of study in various eastern martial arts.

Quote:
Have you ever seen the high-amplitude throws of Greco-Roman wrestling, Russian sambo, or judo? Being on the receiving end of such throws can certainly cause "serious injury", even when the person being thrown knows how to breakfall.

Look also at the jointlocks, cranks, and chokes found in catch-as-catch-can/Lancashire wrestling, judo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu

Once again, you seem to think my point was to say western martial arts were inferior to eastern ones. Perhaps if you read or try to understand what was written better, you can see that clearly I was not sating this.

I wrote:

Quote:
Boxing and wresting are forms of western martial arts, but clearly tournament forms for the most part, making them look ineffecutual to a point as their is not a true wester non-tournament self defense form

You wrote:

Quote:
Combat sports like boxing, wrestling, judo, and even MMA often come under criticism by both traditional martial artists, as well as by exponents of so-called "Reality Based Self-Defense" (RBSD). In many instances, such combat sports are totally dismissed out of hand, because of the "sport" connotation.

Pretty much exactly what I said above, whcih was my point. Funny, you are dismissing what I say and saying the same thing??

Quote:
How do you think Roman legionaries learned to fight with gladius and scutum? A considerable portion of their training involved engaging in competitive bouts with rebated weapons--thus, we have Flavius Josephus' comment about the Romans' method of training: "Their battle-drills are no different from the real thing; every man works as hard at his daily training as if he were on active service... It would not be far from the truth to call their drills bloodless battles, their battles bloody drills."

Well, the Romans may well have participated in full speed blunted weapon combat, as knights also would have.

Now I said the modern tournament style western martial art forms (boxing, wrestling) were dumbed down. Now you bring up knights and Romans in practice/tournament ststing that this shows that tournaments are full speed ahead no holds barred type of events.

The Roman practices and knightly tournaments are not relevant to this subject. Boxing and wrestling have far more safety features and rules built in.

For comparison, I'm sure Roman sparring and knightly tournaments had far less rules and safety features built in than say fencing or even recreationist sparring. Most recreationists will tell you it's very difficult to ascertain exactly how shields were used for instance because many of the possible technigues would be illegal.

If you think Roman Legionairries going at it with blunted weapons had the same safety procedures in place in rules relative to this as modern tournaments, be it wresting, fencing, boxing, etc. etc., go ahead and believe that. I myself do not think that is accurate.

Quote:
Even fencing can be dangerous, given the risk of broken blades piercing a competitor's vitals. Quite a few fencers have actually been killed over the years, both in practice, and in tournaments. A Finnish epeeist was killed at the Stockholm championships, back in 1951. 20 years later, British foilist Vincent Bonfil was killed in a practice bout, when his opponent's broken blade went through his armpit; he bled out in 5 minutes. At the Rome world championships in 1982, the Russian world and Olympic champion Vladimir Smirnov was killed when the broken blade of his German opponent pierced his mask--and his brain.

I'm sure there were as many or more killed by lightning strikes compared to fencing during this period. While there may be some danger there, It's certainly very very infrequent to see a life threatening injury.

I'm sure it was far more commonplace for a legionairre to be severely injured or a knight to do so in a tournament.
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:

Too bad you think this. I'm basing it on wrestling through high school, competetive boxing, and 8+ years of study in various eastern martial arts.

Given your background in the above arts--especially in boxing--it's downright odd that you said:

Quote:
My point was that most mainstream western martial arts are strictly tournament, not taught in a self defense form. They are taught with tournament rules, designed to prevent serious injury. By doing this, they are "dumbed down" a bit as the goal is to win a match, not to seriously injure the opponent.

Your words. Considering all the boxers who have died and suffered from dementia pugilistica, your claim above fails to fly.

Quote:
Once again, you seem to think my point was to say western martial arts were inferior to eastern ones. Perhaps if you read or try to understand what was written better, you can see that clearly I was not sating this.

I wrote:

Quote:
Boxing and wresting are forms of western martial arts, but clearly tournament forms for the most part, making them look ineffecutual to a point as their is not a true wester non-tournament self defense form

You wrote:

Quote:
Combat sports like boxing, wrestling, judo, and even MMA often come under criticism by both traditional martial artists, as well as by exponents of so-called "Reality Based Self-Defense" (RBSD). In many instances, such combat sports are totally dismissed out of hand, because of the "sport" connotation.

Pretty much exactly what I said above, whcih was my point. Funny, you are dismissing what I say and saying the same thing??

I'm not "dismissing" what you said above--I'm simply disagreeing with your assertion about the essential nature of combat sports. You appear to harbor the notion that combat sports are somehow inferior because of the "tournament" setting. You have claimed that combat sports are "dumbed down" and draped with rules that "prevent serious injury", and yet injuries still occur. Combat sports have various rules to help minimize serious injuries, but it's not as if they still can't happen. The very fact that there are high-amplitude throws in wrestling means that serious injuries can happen. The very fact that fencers engage in free-play with steel weapons means that serious injuries can happen. And boxing... the connection between boxing and serious injuries should be evident to anyone, especially to someone like you, who boxed competitively.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, the Romans may well have participated in full speed blunted weapon combat, as knights also would have.

Now I said the modern tournament style western martial art forms (boxing, wrestling) were dumbed down. Now you bring up knights and Romans in practice/tournament ststing that this shows that tournaments are full speed ahead no holds barred type of events.

The Roman practices and knightly tournaments are not relevant to this subject. Boxing and wrestling have far more safety features and rules built in.

On the contrary, the Roman practices and knightly tournaments are directly related to this subject, because they are historical examples of combat sports.

Quote:
For comparison, I'm sure Roman sparring and knightly tournaments had far less rules and safety features built in than say fencing or even recreationist sparring. Most recreationists will tell you it's very difficult to ascertain exactly how shields were used for instance because many of the possible technigues would be illegal.

If you think Roman Legionairries going at it with blunted weapons had the same safety procedures in place in rules relative to this as modern tournaments, be it wresting, fencing, boxing, etc. etc., go ahead and believe that. I myself do not think that is accurate.

The basic fact that the legionaries used rebated weapons (blunted steel gladii, as well as wooden weapons like the rudis) is a clear indication that there were at least some rules in place--again, to minimize injuries. You can't have an Empire if all your soldiers are dying in training, can you?

The same goes for all those English and German swordsmen from the various fencing guilds, during the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure there were as many or more killed by lightning strikes compared to fencing during this period. While there may be some danger there, It's certainly very very infrequent to see a life threatening injury.

I'm sure it was far more commonplace for a legionairre to be severely injured or a knight to do so in a tournament.

What you say does nothing to change the fact that modern fencers are still going full-tilt with steel weapons--and any time that such things are done, the risk of serious injury exists--that's why fencers have to wear a mask; that's why they also have to wear a ballistic jacket and underarm protector; and that's why masks & weapons are regularly inspected and tested.

Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The basic fact that the legionaries used rebated weapons (blunted steel gladii, as well as wooden weapons like the rudis) is a clear indication that there were at least some rules in place--again, to minimize injuries. You can't have an Empire if all your soldiers are dying in training, can you?

Apparently you are missing my point again. I never said there were not some constraints - obviously wooden weapons is one. I just believe that Roman wooden weapon sparring and knightly tournaments had less checks and rules in place to prevent injuries than modern sports in our litigous society. Take a Fencing match for instance - if you really believe that the knights fighting in tournaments had the same restrictions that someone in an Fencing match does, please fell free to do so.

Personally, I think the knights had a little more freedom and less restrictions, and along with this come more injuries and deaths.

Speaking purely from a personal perspective, I would address defending myself from a mugger if I felt my life was endangered far differently than I would approach a friendly sparring match. Joint breaking, Collar bone snapping, going after the windpipe, gouging the eyes, biting if need be would all be part of my reportie for self defense. I would not of course do these in a ring or at a Dojo. This is my whole point that martial arts fought in a tournament style are far different than those used for true self-defense or mortal combat. As most mainstream "western" martial arts are taught strictly with the tournament in mind, and eastern ones are taught both ways more often, this is why IMO the common man has this fascination and belief in the superiority of eastern martial arts.

You wrote:

Quote:
Your words. Considering all the boxers who have died and suffered from dementia pugilistica, your claim above fails to fly

OK. If someone dies while tieing their shoe, does that make it a dangerous sport? Here is some info, please take a look. My point is that tournament sports are dumbed down to prevent injury, dumbed down more than they would be if they were using these skills in a life and death situation. Hopefully you can realize this.

Quote:
Let’s conclude by putting these calculations into perspective.

The goal is of course zero deaths. However, there is currently no way to prevent all deaths. Not even legislation will work -- since 1920, more than a hundred deaths have been attributed to incidents occurring during training, and in some cases, the deaths occurred without a single blow being struck. Consequently, rather than bemoan the obvious, let’s compare the risks in amateur boxing to the risks in high school football, and the risks in professional boxing to the risks in other industrial occupations.

Between 1931 and 1999, at least 616 American football players died of injuries, heat stroke, or exertion. [EN19] At least a million youths play American football each year, so the risk of death in American football is about 8.9 per million (616/69 x 1,000,000). Meanwhile, during the period January 1979 to May 2003, 16 amateur boxers died in the United States. Using the numbers posited above, that works out to a risk factor of about 13.9 per million for the boxers. Thus, risk of death in amateur boxing appears to be somewhat higher than the risk of death in American football. Nonetheless, both amateur boxers and high school football players are much less likely to die of athletic injuries than they are to die in Mom’s car on the way to or from practice. After all, death rates for some popular models of sport utility vehicle run as high as 251 per million. [EN20]

As for professional boxers, participants are not hobbyists. Instead, they are contract employees of the sports entertainment industry. At 76 deaths per million, the death rate for boxers fighting in Nevada casinos was lower than average for US manual laborers. For example, US construction workers have a death rate of 251 per million, while US farm workers have a death rate of 393 per million. [EN21] In addition, the Nevada professional boxers’ death rates were lower than average for professional athletes in general (220 per million). [EN22]

Consequently, for the working-class youth typically attracted to the profession of boxing, the risk undoubtedly seems reasonable. What these youths often fail to note, however, is that a professional boxer’s risk of suffering a life-altering non-fatal injury is enormous. For example, one recent Australian study documented 107 serious injuries during 427 bouts. Many of these injuries were to the head and hands. [EN23] Given this, it strikes me as a travesty that promoters do not routinely provide professional boxers with health care benefits. However, there is no law requiring promoters and casinos to provide health care benefits to their workers. Consequently, given the risks that the workers face, it is not surprising that their employers avoid the issue whenever possible.

Quote:
Combat sports have various rules to help minimize serious injuries, but it's not as if they still can't happen

I never claimed modern combat sports don't have serious injuries. My point was that there is a marked difference between skills taught to defend one's life vs skills used in a combat sport, much of this due to the rules.

Back to the true question at hand, as this seems to be getting off course, you wrote

Quote:
You appear to harbor the notion that combat sports are somehow inferior because of the "tournament" setting.

Yes, that was my point.

You also wrote:

Quote:

I say they are inferior, you say and seem to agree with the fact that traditional martial artisits and exponents of RBSD dismiss these type of sports out of hand.

I merely say they are inferior, you write these type of sports are dismissed out of hand. I think your words take a much harder stand against these sports than mine do

Your words, not mine.

But while a take a less agressive stance against these type of sports than you do, you critique me for being harsh on them. It seems to make little point to go on here, as all I can see you are contradicting yourself and arguing just to argue.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary, David, let's take a cue from the "Ko" rule of the game Go, and let the back-and-forth die down a bit. This thread is wandering a little off-topic and the frequency of "you" statements is getting a bit high.

Thank you for keeping the discussion engaging yet civil so far. Let's please keep it that way, and if you would like to continue addressing the topic of "sport" vs "combat" traditions, do so in another thread.

-Gabriel L.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I started a new thread so we can further discus "sport vs combat fighting" and at the same time keep "spartan vs samurai" on topic.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Matthew D G

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A very close match up but my money is on the spartan. Happy
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes."
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First Dave, I'd like to make clear what my point was initially when the debate started. We could go on and on about Roman Legionairres and antyhting else, but I'd like to get back to the specific issue.

In response to a few posts that thought a samurai would have an advantage against a Spartan due to the Samurai's knowledge of the Martial arts, I pointed out that there were western combat martial arts as well. Wrestling and boxing are decendants of these.

I made a point that it is not uncommon for many (by many I am speaking of many with little knowledge of martial arts in general) to give the Eastern Martial arts a mystique that is not warranted. This IMO is due more to a lack of knowledge of western martial arts, and that the mainstream ones we have now are designed to be used in very controlled bouts, trying to limit injury.

I think you made the assumption that I was downgrading or had little respect for western martial arts, which was clearly not my point, I think your misunderstanding of my point led to some of the debate.

Now as far as whether combat sports make a good real fighter - Of course they do! Any martial training is better than none. Of course a wrestler or a boxer has an advantage over an unskilled opponent. There seems to be some statements on the combat training thread to where if someone knows boxing, and they are a better fighter than one who knows nothing, than Combat sports must be effective methods of training. Well that's a no-brainer.

My point was and still is that if someone trains striclty tournament style, they will be lacking in both attacking and defending things which are outlawed in their sport.

Now when you compare a style of martial arts taught with an unresisting opponent but designed to teach self defense, i.e. no holds barred you say they will not do well in true combat against someone taught "tournament style" for lack of a better word. I fully agree.

Tournament type fighting is of course important to learn many things about combat you cannot learn from fighting an unresisting opponent.

It's like the old pressure point move - "See, all I have to do is grab you here, here and here, and I win" - but of course to be able to do that particular move against a resisting opponent is rather impossible.

There are things however that are these type of moves that can work against a resisting opponent. There was a self defense move I learned to get out of a headlock - put your hand under neaththe nose of who has you in the headlock and pull the head back. It's hard to resist. Tried this in wresting practice, worked well but my coach told me I could not do it in the ring. Got into a scrap a few years later, tried it and the other person was resisting it pretty well, they were more focused, had more adrenalin going or something. I changed my grip to the eyes, and it worked well. This would not be allowed in MMA to my knowledge, similar to eye gouging. It also works best of the two parties are at least somewhat close in strength.

Take a boxer - most fights, if one party desires and are somewhat equally matched will wind up at least some of the tme in a grapple, barring the one punch and done. A boxer who has no knowledge of wrestling, Judo or some other grappling art will get eaten up by a skilled wrestler. Thats my whole point - Boxing is striking, no real grappling, wrestling is grappling, no real striking.

While a trained boxer can hit hard, he can only do well in his particular specialty. That is why I used the term "dumbed down"

A good MMA fighter an handle both striking and grappling. They may be better at one, but the understand and can at least defend against the other. This is why I also said MMA has brought some more respect back into western Martial arts.

Whether people get injured or not in a combat sport is somewhat irrelevant. The point is is that if they learn say boxing only, and fight a skilled opponent with a broader skill level like MMA, they will struggle as long as both are roughly evenly matched in size, athletesism, and skill in their particualr form.

This idea also is why one needs to learn technigues that might be illegal in ones combat sport to be most effective in a real fight . Both so they can anticipate and defend and use offensively.

Same goes for weapons use. I have never participated in SCA, but my understanding for safety reason there are not a whole lot of shield strikes you can use, nor can you intentionally bowl someone over using a shield. If an SCA fighter were not exposed to this and placed in a real fight with weapons, hopefully the learn to defend against things like this quickly, and they won't get to many second chances in real combat.

Unfortunately true training in this area would lead to too many deaths and injuries to make it effective for both hand to hand or weapons combat sports.

My guess is training done my knights and legionairres was not quite as restricted. After all, they are learning to defend their own life, not training for a fun sport or even just a means of making money. They learned to deal with real issues that may come about in combat, at least they did if they were trained well. I'm sure they still had some safeguards in effect though. The Spartans I am not sure of. From what I know many trainees died before they became Spartan Equals. This may have had something to do with the manpower shortage they started experiencing after the war with Athens.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spartan vs Samurai. Who would win?
Page 4 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: