1783 print depicting ancient weapons of England
I have had a plate from Barnard's New Complete & Authentic HISTORY of ENGLAND in my collection for around 10 years. It was published in 1783. It is an interesting interpretation--an 18th century interpretation-- of weapons and "implements" of early Britain. I thought you all might enjoy this fanciful print! Please comment!

Attachment: 81.39 KB
weaponsprint.z.3.JPG
Overall view of the print

Attachment: 101.26 KB
weaponsprint.z.4.JPG
A close up shot of the chariot and a few surrounding weapons
Now, if they had a Lance with a Star AND a bell, they'd be onto something.... :eek:
Right! A spear on its own is not so scary, but add a bell and whoa! Get me outta there!
Wow. That's an absolutely excellent plate. I love historical artwork, especially diagrams, woodcuts, and illustrations. Thank you for sharing this.
I like that furry shield... :)

It the shield based on any actual finds (since its writen "an exact representation of a curious collection...") or was the artist just being... artistic ?

Last edited by Hugo Voisine on Mon 16 Oct, 2006 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thanks, Nathan. It is a really neat plate that I really enjoy. It is fanciful and silly, but it really demonstartes how people impose the aesthetics and ideals from their time onto other time periods. Although it is not perfectly accurate, I have seen a similar illustration in an Osprey title. I think it might be Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars in one of the Angus McBride plates--there is a charioteer and warrior with a shield and spear held in a similar manner. To be fair, Angus McBride's plate is probably more representative of what the warriors actually looked like!

Edit: Or maybe it was in Tim Newark's Celtic Warriors--I can't remember.

Last edited by Jonathan Hopkins on Mon 16 Oct, 2006 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hello all!

Great artwork! Lovely, but weird! :)

Is that shield furry? I've heard of hide-covered shields, but that's too much! :D

And what's with the bear skin loin cloth? I though we all knew the ancient Britons went to war naked! :lol:

Seriously, though, the detail on the artwork is wonderful, even if it is fanciful!

Stay safe!
Hugo Voisine wrote:
I like that furry shield... :)

It the shield based on any actual finds (since its writen "an exact representation of a curious collection...") or was the artist just being... artistic ?

Probably the latter!
Print
Yes, Thanks J.G. ....a most cool print.........I too have a thing for old prints. I see that by this stage the horses actually look more like "real" horses.......... I get a lot of laughs out of some Medieval Art ... cause have you ever noticed that in most of the illustrations all the horses look happy......in fact they always seem to be looking at the camera...er, I mean Ärtist and always have this big grin on their faces....even when they have half a dozen arrows sticking out of their rumps !
Ahhhh, they just dont seem make horses like that these days !!

Cheers
This is great! One nuance I particularly enjoy is the signficant difference in the charioteer's clothing from the briton riding it.

Obviously, despite being well versed in the use of bells, stars, and unnecessary chains, the ancient Briton was unable to attach whistles to his spear and frighten the enemy further. :lol:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: