Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 16: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
53%
 53%  [ 29 ]
Very Good
38%
 38%  [ 21 ]
Good
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 54

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Alexi. I don't know much about axes so I figured I'd ask. I feel a bit silly asking but honestly, I was curious about it. Happy
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I've had a question on my mind about the CASI axe. Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'll ask it here.

What's the liklihood that CAS Iberia/Hanwei mounted the axe head upside down on the shaft? It looks upside down to me.The way it's mounted ends up with a very weird edge angle. Not having ever handled this axe, I'm operating in a cloud of guesses. Having said that, however, it sure looks like the edge angle would make cutting less than ideal.

Thoughts?

The original has a much more pronounced slant of the blade downward towards the haft. I looked very hard at the designs on the original and the reproduction and the orientation of the CAS one seems right (judging by the patterns on the blade). The problem is that the axe shape is a bit off on the reproduction so it is not a very easy comparison. Since the edge of the repro is virtually parallel to the haft, it seems to make little difference how they mounted it. The only peculiar part is the pronounced upper edge point. I reminds me a bit of a bearded axe mounted upwards.

I have not cut with mine but it seems that it will cut just fine, and the edge aligns well with the target when I simulate a cut in a slow motion exercise.

Alexi

It looks wrong to me also but I was hesitating mentioning it as I was starting to wonder if I have always been looking at these things wrong when they are seen in books unmounted ? Eek!

If they mounted it wrong it's probably because someone thought that the longer point might be more usefull in that position.

I have seen other axes like this one http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~BK52...er+Axe.htm
that I would be tempted to reverse even if it's been mounted properly. ( Fantasy axe though so it doesn't mean much. )

The A & A Hungarian axe illustrates the why of this well: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole104.html

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
D. Bell

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
I looked very hard at the designs on the original and the reproduction and the orientation of the CAS one seems right (judging by the patterns on the blade).

Since you brought it up, I have to hold my Hanwei Mammen axe upside down in order to make the design on it match the orientation of the original pictured. However if I rotate the original 180° so that the pattern matches what Hanwei has done, then the axe looks much better, fitting cleanly into Petersen’s type K, rather than with difficulty into Petersen’s type G.

As has been noted before, Hanwei has done a good job of replicating the patterns of the Mammen axe, but the axe they have put those patterns on is not a close replica of the original axe.

Attachment: 62.51 KB
Mammen Axe 3.jpg
Original axe rotated 180°

An armed society is a polite society.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Oct 16: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: