Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Studded Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
Hello all!

Thanks again, Hisham! The description sounds similar to what I think the garment worn by early 14th century English knights might have been like. One question, do you know if the Indian fabric armour was worn by itself, or was a mail shirt worn beneath?

I imagine if bazubands and mail-and-plate leg armours were worn with the fabric armours, then the fabric armours were considered to be a functional armour. I know the Chinese "studded" armours are suspected of being "court garb", and not truly protective. The Indian armours do sound like protective garb, even if only light protection, since they were stuffed with a bit of cotton wool padding, just like some medieval European gambesons!

Now, am I reading the description correctly, the nails were attached to the cover fabric only? I would imagine they would be if the nail ends were simply bent over, the padding would most likely protect the inner shell and the wearer from damage caused by the nail ends.

Now, I wonder, were the nails meant to be decorative only, or was it thought that they added some protective value? Even if modern tests show that "studs" on padded fabric don't add any significant advantage, that doesn't mean the armourers and warriors of the time always thought the same way we "moderns" do!

I really appreciate all the responses! This has turned into a fascinating thread!

Stay safe!

Hi Richard,

I'm afraid the answer is I don't know. I'm pretty sure that the examples reinforced with steel plates would have offered a level of protection comparable to a chahar ayna. As for the ones without the plates, my personal feeling is that this would offer a similar level of protection to say a European "padded jack".

The other point worth remembering is that while apparently similar armours are depicted in miniature paintings dating back to the 16th century, it's hard to know if these are the same as the surviving 18th and 19th century armours. The fact is that by this time armour was pretty much obsolete in South Asia, most surviving Indo-Persian armours from this period are clearly parade armours and not meant for battle.

Also The Mughuls originated in Central Asia where Brigandine/coat-of-plate type armours were quite widespread, so the armour in the miniatures could be brigandines. Furthermore a type of armour known as kazaghand, which was a padded garment lined with mail was used in the Middle-east in the 12th to 16th centuries, and there is at least one surviving 17th century Indian kazaghand, so the armour in the miniatures could also be kazaghands. Click on the link please:
http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=2023

In addition Stibbert has his figure wearing the chihalta over a mail shirt, and while I am inclined to take a reconstruction made by a 19th century antiquitarian with a hefty pinch of salt, he could have been right!

Some pictures:

16th century miniature (click on the thumbnail please):

This are the relevent pages from Robinson's "Oriental Armour" (London, 1967), I'm sorry but I was too lazy to copy them out, click on the thumbnails:

And this are some pages i scanned from Robert Elgood's "Hindu Arms and Ritual" (2004):
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm afraid that I'm lost. What is the actual point of this thread? If it is to prove that these studs somehow create functional armour, or improve the protective capability of other types of armour then I've seen nothing to suggest this. There is nothing to suggest that these studs provide anything other than decoration or to act as a substitute for quilting. The only time that so-called "studded armour" was ever worn on the battlefield was if the studs were used as fasteners to hold metal reinforcing, or the studs were used in padded jacks or gamboised cuisses as a substitute for quilting. If this thread is simply to accumulate a pile of pics related to "studded armour" then by all means continue. The more the better.
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

Dan
We're back to semantics again, aren't we? Perhaps the "studs" don't offer any real additional protection, but the look of a padded coat either possessing "studs" and quilting or "studs" substituting for the quilting could be called "studded". You do agree that a padded garment, regardless of whether or not it had studs, is protective in nature, correct? My original argument was that there could have been padded garments with attached studs worn in early 14th century England, and that they could be called "studded armour" based on their look. Again, maybe I'm looking at it with "artist's eyes" instead of an "engineer's eyes". I do understand a specific analytical mind; I spent several years as a biology and health lab tech before I decided to go off in a more "creative" direction! I guess I understand your argument against calling these padded garments with studs "studded armour", but isn't it splitting hairs a bit? How important is it what we call these garments?

However, I would argue that "studded armour" such as is being discussed here could be worn as battlefield armour. Medieval soldiers certainly relied on padded gambesons and jacks as a sole defence, correct? Knights and common soldiers could also rely on the combination of aketon-hauberk-gambeson as a defence during the 13th and 14th centuries, right? All I am saying is that there is some evidence that the outer gambeson occasionally bore "studs". The only difference between a plain gambeson and a "studded gambeson" are the studs, correct? If knights of 14th century England wore a "studded gambeson" onto the battlefields of 14th century Europe, then "studded armour" was used!

I don't understand your insistence that all armour must be a "perfect" defence. Don't you agree that the late 13th and early 14th centuries were a time of experimentation? Many materials, including leather and cuir bouilli (we do have an existing leather vambrace), whalebone (mentioned in 14th century manuscripts), lateen (used in the Black Prince's gauntlets), and padding were used for armour in that time period. Armour evolved from mail to plate, and sometimes different things were tried and then discarded. I do not feel you can make the broad declaration that "studded armour" as is being discussed here was never used on the battlefield. Jean le Bel, a contemporary chronicler, did comment about the "old fashioned" nature of early 14th century English armour. There is evidence that they used a "studded gambeson" when the rest of Europe might have been using a coat-of-plates.

Are you sure the medieval mindset didn't see studs as an additional defence, even if it didn't really function in that fashion? We can make modern tests to determine the effectiveness of armour, but we can't get into the heads of the armourers that experimented with different things until they got it right!

Do the "studs" themselves create a functional armour? It's highly doubtful. Can a protective padded garment peppered with studs be called "studded armour". Why not, as long as we understand that the studs are decorative? We call armour decorated with blackened and polished areas "black and white" armour, don't we? Should we cease to call them "black and white" armours because the decorative blackened and polished areas serve no protective function to the wearer? Of course not!

I'm sorry if this has gotten you confused. I was just trying to create a discussion about the battlefield use of padded garments with studs. I still agree with you that the "studded" leather armour (without padding) so popular in role playing games is a fantasy, but I don't agree that all "studded armours" are decorative or mere fantasy.

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: confused         Reply with quote

Hi

I just thought we were having a discusion about viability, and seeing if their was any historical use for rivette/studs on padded armours? I think functionality is as almost as important as protection. If a few strategically placed studs or sewn motifs turn a 3' thick gambeson into a 1 1/2' thick one with no ill effect to its protective abilities then it is viable?
And there is evidence for this style of armour, there are referances to byzantine kivadions being made this way. Wether the the stud was sewn or metallic is unknown.

N
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just functionality and LOGIC: Lets say that the studs or rivets are at least 1/2" in diameter, maybe even bigger, the density and pattern is such that any strait line drawn on the surface a few inches long will intercept at least one rivet, no matter what angle is chosen, will intersect a cut. Further the metal of the studs or rivet is thick enough and hard enough that it would be very improbable that it could be cut through.

So under those conditions how can it be said that a dense pattern of studs or rivets would have zero effect on the protective quality of a fabric or leather armour. Does this mean that such an armour gives perfect protection !? Absolutely NOT, as a thrust can easily avoid any of the metal reinforcements.

This his either true or not independently of whether it was used or not in any specific historic period: If the above is not a logical conclusion based on the premises ( Conditions I outlined above ) then I would be glad to hear an argument based on the premises. ( Either my conclusions are wrong or my premises are flawled ! )

One can have a discussion about armour design, one can have a discussion about history, one can cover both aspects: One shouldn't discuss either without making it clear which one we are basing our arguments or rebuttals on !

I can fully understand that if one's interest in arms and armour is exclusively in the context of historical truth one may be irritated by purely theoretical design questions or bored by it.

My first interest personally is in the design aspects which for me also leads to an interest in history, war, politics, psychology, philosophy, religion, human folly etc ... But that's just me: Priorities and interests vary. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

If anyone has the 'Companion to medieval Arms and Armour' fig IX 15 (no page no?) shows what seems to be a rivette/padded armour?
From a Byzantine wall painting, St Mercurios - 1295-1305. Church of Panagia Olympiotissa.
It clearly shows round button type fixtures at the point of each diamond.
Judging by the other equipment shown with this armour ( open quiver, bow case similiar to those found at Moschevaya Balka, Alanic, paramerion/ sabre and kettle style helmet.) The artist has taken great care in the information he has recorded.

Nick
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

One can have a discussion about armour design, one can have a discussion about history, one can cover both aspects: One shouldn't discuss either without making it clear which one we are basing our arguments or rebuttals on !

Jean,
What you said about history and design is sort of what I was trying to say. We can make arguments 'til Doomsday about the effectiveness of armour. We could argue that they must have used plate armour throughout the medieval period because plate was most effective, but they obviously did not. We could also argue that they should have developed Kevlar vests when firearms first appeared on the battlefield, but they obviously did not! (I know I used blatantly ridiculous examples, but I'm trying to make a point.)

Modern practical testing is fine in and of itself. It can tell us what worked well and what didn't work so well. However, it doesn't necessarily tell us what might have been used historically. At any point during the middle ages there were many "degrees" of armoured protection worn on the battlefield by various ranks of medieval soldiers. Not even all knights were clad in full plate in the 15th century, some couldn't afford a full Milanese harness, while others may have opted to wear lighter protection like a brigandine. Certainly many infantrymen relied solely on padded garments, if they even had that!

Mail was a very good protective garment, but it wasn't perfect. If it had been, medieval warriors would never have supplemented it with plate. However, mail remained the primary body protection on the battlefield for a very long time. Why? Because it offered general protection from most weapons on the medieval battlefield, even if it was vulnerable to a thrust. Of course, shields were meant to stop most things from reaching the mail to begin with.

I think history and design can go together, like for instance when you're talking about the history of design. I'm not sure that you can call the "studded armours", as in studded padded garments, theoretical. They were obviously used in India, China, and possibly Byzantium. The debate seems to be over whether or not these garments were meant to be protective. My theory is that, while the garments in China and possibly India are more ceremonial in nature, a similar garment appears to have been used in 14th century England. I also feel that the garment as worn in England was seen as a defensive garment. Perhaps it wasn't a perfect defence, it was replaced by the more effective coat-of-plates after all, but it was meant to be an additional layer of protection. Like I've said repeatedly on this thread and the one about "studded and splinted" armour, the period of the late 13th and early 14th centuries was a time of experimentation with a wide variety of armour materials and styles. I will leave a discussion about the "actual" effectiveness of such a garment up to the "engineers". I'm more of an artist and historian; I'm concerned more with design, "perceived" effectiveness, and historical armour evolution.

I think we should say that we are trying to cover both aspects you mentioned, but perhaps with an emphasis on historical design. Just because a type of armour didn't offer full protection doesn't mean it was never used on the battlefield. There are many historical examples of soldiers fighting on the battlefield with "less than perfect" armour! Unless, of course, you think gambesons and jacks were completely impervious! (Good, yes, completely impervious, very doubtful!)

Nick Trueman wrote:

If anyone has the 'Companion to medieval Arms and Armour' fig IX 15 (no page no?) shows what seems to be a rivette/padded armour?

Nick,
Thanks for that reference! That's not a book I have at the moment; a bit too expensive for my situation right now. However, what you described sounds almost like the inspiration for the Osprey colour plate depicting the peltast that I described earlier. The only difference seems to be in the placement of the apparent studs. The Osprey plate showed them in the centre of the diamonds, and you say the Byzantine depiction shows them at the points of the diamond. Sounds like the studs might have served a functional purpose, holding the layers together or compressing them.

Thanks again to all who have responded and made this a very interesting thread!

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard;

I think I can say that we are in basic agreement about how one can look at each aspect, design and historical use, in tandem.

I think that speculation based on research but also on " thought experiments " i.e. logical arguments, both have a place in this specific topic but also as a general approach to any discussion about almost anything. Arriving at definite conclusions beyond doubt or further questions is more problematic. ( I tend to distrust absolutes in almost all things: At best I tend to think in terms of the odds of something being certain. There is a difference between saying that something is 100% proven and saying that the odds are very high like 99.999 % certain, or simply more certain than not. )

Oh, and I have enjoyed your posts since you recently joined. Cool Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread but stay away from Osprey. The only images in those books that can be seriously considered are photos of actual artefacts. Many of the colour plates in Osprey publications have little factual basis.
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

Dan,

Rest assured, I place much more emphasis on the photos or line drawings of the effigies and brasses in Osprey. That being said, I have enough other resources to compare many of the colour plates to photos and quality line drawings of the same thing (effigies, brasses, and the like) that the Osprey illustrators and authors use as their source material. I can't really comment on the accuracy or the authenticity of the peltast in the one Osprey book; I've never seen the actual Byzantine images. I brought it up because another member mentioned the possibility of "studded padded" armour shown in Byzantine sources. However, I know most if not all of the plates in German Medieval Armies 1300-1500 are based on actual effigies, sculpture, and other forms of medieval art, as well as existing pieces of medieval armour. The reconstruction of Gunther von Schwarzberg matches his effigy.

I think you would agree that some Osprey books are better than others. The ones authored by David Nicolle do sometimes show some more "speculative" armour. However, he has travelled throughout Europe and the Middle East looking at hundreds if not thousands of examples of medieval arms and armour depicted in period art and examining period manuscripts. The Osprey books he has authored have his own photographs to prove it. I would leave anything speculative he wishes to be shown as a "possibility" until proven absolutely false. The ones authored by Christopher Gravett seem to be less "speculative" and show more examples that are definitely backed up by representations in museums or period art.

I believe Osprey books can be a good source if used in conjunction with other sources. That's why I have such a huge library; I've found many images in some of my older, out-of-print books that match some of the things shown in Osprey that aren't usually shown in the "standard" tomes about arms and armour. I would not outright discount what some of the Osprey authors talk about or show, since they could be using rather obscure and unknown sources. One thing that they used to do, and don't seem to anymore, is state in the captions what source material was used for the colour plates. Certainly you can't discount those!

I agree care must be taken with any "artistic rendition" of arms and armour, but I wouldn't "stay away" from Osprey books completely. As I already said, they can be a good resource, but used in conjunction with other resources!

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
This is an interesting thread but stay away from Osprey. The only images in those books that can be seriously considered are photos of actual artefacts. Many of the colour plates in Osprey publications have little factual basis.

A gross exaggeration. While caution must be excercised when using Osprey books as sources a number of them are illustrated by experts such as Christa Hook and Gerry Embleton. Dismissing their work soley because the images are foudn in a book published by Osprey is not a vaild method of evaluating them as historical sources. Just as there are a number of embarrassingly bad Ospreys, there are a number of quite usefull and accurate ones as well.
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

Daniel Staberg wrote:

A gross exaggeration. While caution must be excercised when using Osprey books as sources a number of them are illustrated by experts such as Christa Hook and Gerry Embleton. Dismissing their work soley because the images are foudn in a book published by Osprey is not a vaild method of evaluating them as historical sources. Just as there are a number of embarrassingly bad Ospreys, there are a number of quite usefull and accurate ones as well.

Daniel,

Exactly! I would also add Angus McBride and Graham Turner to the list of better Osprey illustrators. Graham Turner does an excellent job in the various English Medieval Knight series. Angus McBride has arguably the nicest style out of all the Osprey artists, although he occasionally shows some "speculative" material. I found the introduction in the book Warriors and Warlords: the Art of Angus McBride to be very interesting, especially the part where he talks about how he painstakingly paints each individual link of mail! Christa Hook is arguably the most detailed of the Osprey artists. Work by her father, Richard Hook, unfortunately lacks some of the finer details. Christopher Rothero's work also lacks the detail of some of the others, but his colour plates are alright if used in conjunction with other sources.

Certain Osprey titles are better than others. Certain series are better than others. The "Warrior" series contains more detail in its colour plates (although I was not impressed by the Knight Templar one) than the Men-at Arms series. The "Campaign" series only contains colour plates of battle scenes, but they often contain more photos of effigies, other artwork, and surviving arms and armour.

I know this has drifted off-topic, but since questions arose concerning some of my sources, I thought I would clarify my position regarding Osprey books. I think, with a few really bad exceptions, Osprey has actually improved over the years. Certainly their "warrior" series can be used as a decent resource, with some intelligent discretion.

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It wasn't an exaggeration. It was a generalisation. I am hardly going give a review of every Osprey publication, listing the good and bad points of each, on an online forum. I can assure you that my latter list will be far longer than the former. The Osprey artists have little control over what they illustrate. They are dictated to by the author. I didn't mean for you to stay away from Osprey entirely. Just leave any artistic impressions out of this discussion since they are not primary sources and serve no purpose but to confuse things. I have already said that any Osprey photos of extant artefacts are relevant and useful.
William Knight

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, from what I've heard most consider McBride a good artist in terms of talent, but a tad on the speculative side in terms of his reconstructions. IE some of his Rus pictures are rather fanciful, and many others include elements that are not quite right. So I'd say that Embleton and Turner are pretty good but even they sometimes include 'reenactorisms' that aren't supported by primary sources, and that like everyone else their understanding of history is evolving.

Now, as to 'studs' I'd say that everything presented here seems to me like fastening and reenforcement rather than protection in their own right. Because a stud -means- a nailhead or other protruding metal thing, the use of the term implies that the purpose of them was to protrude, rather than being half of a fastener and thus is misleading rather than a matter of semantics. As to the English effigies, you say that the existence of other quilting seems to obviate the necessity for any rivets to compress the layers, but I think it's quite possible, as someone pointed out regarding the varangian armour, that if you want to compress the layers and hold them together a rivet is tighter and holds better than a stitch, particuarly if you're dealing with 15+ layers of linen.

As to the hypothetica effectiveness of the 'studs' as defense, I think their tendency to catch a sword and their small size make it apparent that their protective value is around nil. The is, in as much as armour seems to evolve better glancing surfaces in response to new threats, just festooning it willy-nilly with studs will more likely catch blows then stop them. As to whether the studs could protect against slashes, I would say first that a sword blow covers so little of the armours area, and moreover that the 'studs' will be in some particular pattern, there will be many angle of cut that don't hit any 'studs' at all and there is no reason why a cut that does hit a stud won't simply slide off and sink in to unprotected fabric. Further, primary sources (ie an Italian visitor to England in the 15th century) speak of how a jack could turn a sword-thrust anyway, and we know that maille can. And studs are too small and too unreliable (for reasons stated above) to be protective against the -thrusting- threats of lance and arrow and quarrel, or a heavy cleaver like a Halberd, which given the adequacy of mail against sword-cuts probably had more to do with the evolution of plate armour anyway. Thus, I think their defensive value is neglibible and we should call them 'nails' or 'rivets' instead.
-Wilhelm
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

William Knight wrote:

Actually, from what I've heard most consider McBride a good artist in terms of talent, but a tad on the speculative side in terms of his reconstructions.

Thus, I think their defensive value is neglibible and we should call them 'nails' or 'rivets' instead.

I think I might have mentioned that McBride was a bit more "speculative" than the others. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I am able to appreciate his artwork from an artist's perspective, though. I do agree one must take care when relying on artist's renditions alone, but I think they can help us look at things in a different way when used with other sources as well.

I'm actually a bit amazed at how some people are adamant about what we call these things. Again, perhaps I'm looking at it from an "artist's" and "historian's" perspective rather than an "engineer's" perspective. I don't think a continued debate about what we call these things is anymore productive to the discussion than a debate over Osprey colour plates. Some believe the "studs", "rivets", "nails", or whatever you may call them might have served a slight protective function, others do not. I am not going to say conclusively one way or another, my point was to show that what could be called "studded armour" was used on the medieval battlefield. I would also urge all who debate the effectiveness of such armour to consider that medieval warriors and/or armourers may have thought that these "studs" provided a bit more protection, even if we moderns know that their practical defensive qualities are next to nil. After all, humans are experimenting animals. Otherwise, why do certain humans living in a modern setting where the protective quality of ancient and medieval armour is pretty much a moot point still carry out effectiveness tests on armour? My argument is that medieval English "linen" armourers (there were such things after all, check out the section about "The Linen Armourers" in The Armourer and His Craft by Charles ffoulkes for more information regarding these specialized armourers) might have experimented with "studs", "rivets", "nails", or whatever, during the early 14th century.

I also want to point out that I used "primary sources" (images taken "off the top of the brass, or drawings that exactly match those) when discussing the English "studded (rivetted?) gambesons". I could make counter-arguments to the proposed use of the "rivets", but I don't think we can say for sure how they were attached. I do know that the garments show what appear to be quilting lines, which leads me to speculate that the "rivets" were unnecessary. Perhaps their main purpose was to compress the quilting, since the garments were worn as a layer above the aketon and hauberk. Who can say for sure, unless we manage to find one intact?

I think I have said all I can say about this topic, unless someone comes up with more pictures or examples. (That doesn't mean the discussion should stop; I just don't think I personally can add any more to the discussion.) I really don't want to continue a debate over "what's in a name?". Perhaps we should come up with a different (better?) name than what I began this topic with, but that wasn't my point. Most of what I said was admittedly speculation, but I was trying to interpret what I saw on the early 14th century brasses.

Let me say, though, that this has been an interesting thread! Thanks to everyone on both (or should I say all?) sides of the issue who responded to "studded armour"!

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Studded Armour
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: