Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Why straight? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
A. Jake Storey II

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Why straight?         Reply with quote

I used to love the medieval long swords and bastard swords, but now that I have studied some actual combat I find that I prefer curved. It usually cuts better and alows for easy slash, hack, and (unless overly curved) thrust. While a strait alows only easy hack and stab, leaving a slash rather difficult. My point? Why did most of Europe use strait blades?
Only you can deny yourself your rights.
Too ignore the rights of others, is to forfeit you own!
Thereby, in your crime, YOU bring Justice on your own head!!!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What organization did you study combat with?

What you studied, and how, might explain part of your preference.

I have found many straight blades very easy to cut with, and to thrust with. Many will do some things better than others. Its very hard to keep a one size fits all approach to striaght bladed swords. There is quite a bit of variation among them. Most of the time when I don't cut well with a straight bladed sword its a case of instantly recognizable user error.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Harry Pretat

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well for one thing European armor evolved to the point where cutting was extremely ineffective and the best way to use a sword would be to thrust into gaps in the armor. Straight blades are better thrusters and curved blades give more powerful cuts, so straight blades were the obvious preference. There are many other reasons but that one comes to mind immediately.
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why strait?         Reply with quote

A. Jake Storey II wrote:
While a strait alows only easy hack and stab, leaving a slash rather difficult.

To your mind, what is the difference between a "hack" and a "slash?" That might help us figure out exactly what you're asking.
A. Jake Storey II

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, what I mean by hack is where you have simple force slamming the edge of your sword into the target. By slash i mean where you both have the force of the blade against the target and a sliding motion runing the blade across the surfice of the target. This makes it much easier to cut deep and requires less force but it feels strang and aquwered (sp?) with a strait edge but it is very nateral with a curved blade.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Jake Storey II wrote:
Well, what I mean by hack is where you have simple force slamming the edge of your sword into the target. By slash i mean where you both have the force of the blade against the target and a sliding motion runing the blade across the surfice of the target. This makes it much easier to cut deep and requires less force but it feels strang and aquwered (sp?) with a strait edge but it is very nateral with a curved blade.

Hi Mr Storey

I think, as Mr Pretat has already said, that armour provides part of the answer. Even before plate, mail was used, and of all things it provides excellent defense against the type of slash/draw cuts that you describe. Straight blades are just as good for hack/chop cutting and probably better in many cases for thrusting. Curved blades became more important in western europe in the post mediaeval period (e.g cavalry sabres) when guns had made armour a less practical proposition, so people used less armour and slash/draw cuts became more practical again. What I've just said is a rather simplistic 'just-so-story' kind of explanation, and there must be loads of contrary bits of evidence, but it may have some broad validity. That said, however, curved cutting edges were not unknown in the mediaeval period (e.g Falchions, from 13th Century onwards).
Other possible explanations include cultural bias/fashion that was slow to change, possibly straight blades had some manufacturing advantages over curved (??) and that it is easier to make a straight blade double edged (for whatever reason one may have desired such).

Regards
Geoff
A. Jake Storey II

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another thing that just came to me is the control of the Catholic church. It may have been concidered more "Christian" to have a strait, two edged sword in refrence to the bible being called the "two-edged sword". This may be even a primary reason in parts of Europe.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Jake Storey II wrote:
Another thing that just came to me is the control of the Catholic church. It may have been concidered more "Christian" to have a strait, two edged sword in refrence to the bible being called the "two-edged sword". This may be even a primary reason in parts of Europe.

Although there was all sorts of Christian symbolism associated (eventually) with the cruciform sword I suspect that the reasons were probably a bit more pragmatic. Form follows function typically. Also do not forger there were plenty of falchions and messers about even in the heyday of the cruciform sword.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Jake Storey II wrote:

Straight swords were known before the Bible as we know it was compiled and were also popular in Europe before it was Christianized.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again I would like to ask what organization you studied with?

The answer to that will probably provide a more valid and accurate answer to your question than historical speculation. One tends to prefer what one learns. Many European masters, according to surviving texts, taught a variety or weapons and techniques for them. They were practical men and often, but not always, used practical tools.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!
I wonder, could the prevalence of straight blades in ancient and medieval western Europe have something to do with a "cultural", as opposed to a "religious" tradition? Perhaps European blade smiths stuck to a "standard", "traditional" design because that was what they were used to and familiar with. Traditional methods often mean little in todays modern world, but tradition could be a very important impetus in the past.
Take the Ulfberht blades, for instance. A Frankish bladesmith somewhere around the year 850 came up with a very elegant blade design. The name Ulfberht, however, can't possibly refer just to one smith; there must have been hundreds of Ulfberht blades made in a period over 250 years. Why did the smiths that followed Ulfberht stick to that same design, including the signature inlay? It seems that they hit on a design of blade that worked for them at that period, but there might also be a bit of "following tradition" involved.
Another thing to consider; often medieval illuminations depict "wicked" or "Oriental" peoples as wielding curved swords, while the "good" or "Christian" soldiers usually wield straight, double-edged swords. There may have been a bit of cultural bias against curved swords. Straight swords may have fit the European view of "a sword".
The Japanese didn't change their blade style much overs hundreds of years due to tradition. Perhaps European swords evolved under a similar traditional mindset. Others have already discussed the practical aspects of having a straight blade that can thrust into armour, but it doesn't necessarily explain straight Viking or Crusader swords. I think there were other factors involved over the choice of "straight" versus "curved" outside of mere practical considerations.
I hope this seems reasonable!
Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From other topic posts on this site it seems that what we associate with Eastern swords being mostly curved sabres was a later development and the use of strait swords was the norm in the Middle east during the early Medieval period.

The curves sabres were introduced later by the Turks by I'm not sure exactly when.

A search on this site for a topic(s) dealing with eastern weapons using key words like shamshir etc ..... should lead you to previous discussions relating to this.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Why strait?         Reply with quote

A. Jake Storey II wrote:
I used to love the medieval long swords and bastard swords, but now that I have studied some actual combat I find that I prefer curved. It usually cuts better and alows for easy slash, hack, and (unless overly curved) thrust. While a strait alows only easy hack and stab, leaving a slash rather difficult. My point? Why did most of Europe use strait blades?

Actually, its been my experience that the straight double edged sword blades cut every bit as well {if not better many, many times} than curved blades. Its been my experience that folks that say otherwise ussually do so out of belief in the superiority of the katana {or maybe the myth I should say}.

The actual "cutting ability" of a sword actually has a lot to do with the operator of said sword, and the operator's experience, background, and skill. Of the actual sword, blade geometry, edge geometry, dynamic balance, mass at the striking point, etc are more important than curved vs straight...........

Odd thing about this curved vs straight stuff, is it crops up every couple of years, and there's never any real convincing proof that a curved blade cuts easier, better, deeper, or any other way making it superior........

As to why straight blades? For the purpose at each time, I think they were thought superior, by cultures that were steeped in martial background and sheer violence............

swords are fun
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again!
Another interesting twist on this discussion is the fact that there are two swords attributed to Charlemagne. One is the well-known, straight cruciform sword used as the Coronation Sword of the Kings of France. The other is a lesser-well known slightly curved sword that looks similar to a Persian or Indian sword, but is probably Hungarian in origin. Oakeshott describes both, and has a drawing of the slightly curved sword, in The Archaeology of Weapons.
Why use the straight sword instead of the curved sword as the Coronation Sword? Perhaps it was a cultural bias, although by this period, it could also have a religious significance.
Oh, and the second "Sword of Charlemagne" does show that certain parts of Europe did indeed use curved blades even before the better known shamshir of Persia and India. There is a drawing of an 11th century sabre, a 12th-13th century Cuman sabre, and a 14th-15th century sabre (all in museums in Budapest) in David Nicolle's Osprey book Hungary and the Fall of Eastern Europe 1000-1568. The same page shows drawings of straight single and double-edged blades used by neighboring peoples. The Hungarians used curved blades, but they never really caught on amongst their neighbors. Why?
Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Why strait?         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

Odd thing about this curved vs straight stuff, is it crops up every couple of years, and there's never any real convincing proof that a curved blade cuts easier, better, deeper, or any other way making it superior........

Angus, Richard Burton, in his "Book of the sword" had a section on why curved blades cut better. Whilst I agree that the straight blade isn't inferior under the actual circumstances of use... Do you have a counter arguement to his?

He states that when a curved sword impacts, (If I'm understanding this correctly) that "The angle is more or less oblique according to the curviture and consaquently it cuts with an acuter edge." Come to think of it, that doesn't make much sence.... but maybe I'm issing something.

Ah. He goes on to say that the curved edge that hits, (Do to the blade's belly) is longer when it strikes an object, and as such you gain more cutting ability due to the increase surface area striking. That is... if I'm understanding this correctly.

Now, I certainly agree, if I can take both a man's legs off with a type X, as at Wisby, what do I care for curviture? Even so, I was under the impression the above was true, even if some of the languge escapes me. If you have a copy, I'm looking at page 130.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Why strait?         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:

Angus, Richard Burton, in his "Book of the sword" had a section on why curved blades cut better. Whilst I agree that the straight blade isn't inferior under the actual circumstances of use... Do you have a counter arguement to his?

He states that when a curved sword impacts, (If I'm understanding this correctly) that "The angle is more or less oblique according to the curviture and consaquently it cuts with an acuter edge." Come to think of it, that doesn't make much sence.... but maybe I'm issing something.

Ah. He goes on to say that the curved edge that hits, (Do to the blade's belly) is longer when it strikes an object, and as such you gain more cutting ability due to the increase surface area striking. That is... if I'm understanding this correctly.

Now, I certainly agree, if I can take both a man's legs off with a type X, as at Wisby, what do I care for curviture? Even so, I was under the impression the above was true, even if some of the languge escapes me. If you have a copy, I'm looking at page 130.

Hi George

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a leg curves? An arm curves? Does a head of a long flat surface? So the contact difference between a curved blade and a straight one isn't that much in actual practice, right?

In cutting things like tatami mats, the good ones, I haven't seen that curved blades make any difference. Many times, the straight AT blades would cut easier, further, better than the curved blades used at the same time {less expensive modern kat blades}. At times its close........ At times one can't tell the difference. It ussually depends on the quality of the sword, not whether its curved or not..........

Some heavy, warswords, with thicker, more durable edges might not cut the softer targets as well as a lightweight, thin crossection kat blade, but then again likely would fare better against a target that will feature thick bone in the center.... like a pork shoulder........

swords are fun
A. Jake Storey II

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My training has been limited do to expenses and the lack of availability. I have had some training in foil fencing, medieval long sword, and kenjutsu. All others have been with a friend who was trained in a kick boxing like invirnment where he learned a variety of weapons from long-swords to a scimetar or sabre like weapon. As for the "superiority" of the Katana, the thing thats good about it is its strength along with its light wait. Infact the reason that you find that the Japanese used Bamboo armer instead of seel is the Katana had no problem cuting right through it, whil the fibers of the Bamboo were known to deflect or cetch the sword. I don't know who would win if you put a Samurai against a Knight, but I know that the samurai were an impresive fighting force.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the real reason that curved swords were developed was because they work well from a mounted position with down cuts. Just speculation on my part but do bear in mind the fact that a lot of cultures that adopted curved blades were evolved from horse dominant cultures or from cultures that had their principal warriors evolve from cavalry. The Japanese Samurai even evolved from horse cavalry archers too. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's something I thought up reading the replies. Perhaps someone else on the list can play with this idea and debunk/prove it better than I.

Off to work. :-)
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Pretat wrote:
Well for one thing European armor evolved to the point where cutting was extremely ineffective and the best way to use a sword would be to thrust into gaps in the armor. Straight blades are better thrusters and curved blades give more powerful cuts, so straight blades were the obvious preference. There are many other reasons but that one comes to mind immediately.

Maybe to some extent but remember, straight bladed weapons existed all the way back to the bronze age. Surely this is long before the developement of any full plate. An easy answer is that they work just fine as a hacking, slashing tool. If these early warriors felt a need to improve on the design then we would see curved blades as the dominent tool.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
A. Jake Storey II

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It could have something to do with being mounted. But why wouldn't the british use curves sense they were often mounted. And also there is the larger two handed scimetars used by muslims of north afraca, they were used wile standing and not wile mounted. It is interesting, but I think now that the curved blade would have been more of a civilian weapon because it probably wasn't as good against armor. What about the description of the muslim king who was at war with Rome, it is said that Rome sent a bundle of Roman swords as a peace offering but the king took out his Scimitar and proceeded to destroy the swords. Is this just a mith or is their some truth to it?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Why straight?
Page 1 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: