Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A few of my antique pieces... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
John Oliver

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Back at work again (unfortunately:-) Just had a bunch of VIPs come and go (the governor included) but now things are back to normal - for a while at least:-) (Come the weekend!!!!:-)

Yes - these are the 'remnants' of various collections - my original British military pattern collection had some wonderful 1796 pattern infantry officer and cavalry swords, a couple of nice volunteer and guards swords and all sorts of other goodies - but I sold most of it off when I went overseas to work for the first time...

My smallsword collection was a bit bigger for a while there too - and I also had a small (but high high quality) Third Reich and Japanese sword/dagger collection...

While I've enjoyed most of it (apart from a lot of negative experiences with the Japanese sword collecting) I guess I've come to realize that now its time to keep a few nice historical pieces that give me pleasure/that 'speak' to me for whatever reason - and to focus the *rest* of my attention on where I want to go NEXT - I am *really* excited about getting into Mediaeval knightly swords and intend to get myself a few of the Albion museum line I think:-) I'm hanging out BIG TIME for my SOLINGEN to arrive - *want* that sword in my hot little hands YESTERDAY:-) Thats not to say that I won't rush out one day and buy an ORIGINAL 800 year old knightly sword in perfect condition as well... (if I win the LOTTO that is and if such a thing can even be FOUND nowadays...)

Bill: YES - I *definitely* understand the mortuary hilter addiction - in fact, one of the next books I'm going to buy is the one on baskethilts - after 7 months of waiting my Armourclass baskethilt (Glasgow hilt) is *finally* on its way to me - looking forward to that too (wouldn't DREAM of working out with my 300 year old Scots baskethilt - but will have some real FUN once the Armourclass one arrives...

Steve/Patrick/etc.: Thanks guys:-) I have to admit it - whatever type of sword I get into in the future that French cut steel smallsword is one I will *always* keep - there is just something special about it - unbelievable in the hand - the fastest bladed weapon I think I have *ever* handled - it is every bit as light as a modern fencing foil - but the difference is a wicked triangular ('hollow') thrusting blade of about 35 inches that ends in a NEEDLE sharp point:-))) In the hands of a skilled fencer I actually believe this sword would be almost unstoppable... As Angelo used to say (roughly), "you can kill or injure with a sabre or broadsword but you can only KILL with a smallsword":-)

Okay - I'm waffling on again - and NO, that quote is not exact - but its as good as my memory is nowadays...

John.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John;

Oh, welcome to the site and posting. Big Grin One good thing with Albion or A & A and other makers of very close to original swords " when they where new " is that you can really handle them without fear of damaging a historical piece.

The handling can be just dry handling or test cutting or even learning swordmanship with blunts of similar balance to the sharps: It depends on your focus being mostly collecting or historical swordsmanship. Well all the things you always wanted to do with originals but where afraid to try. Wink

Oh, and yes a beautiful collection. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John,
Thank you for sharing! :-) Being a "basket-case" I take particular interest in that Scottish broadsword and that Mortuary hilt. Good pics, and lovely looking swords!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
John Oliver

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean and Henrik!:-)

My Armourclass Glasgow hilted broadsword SHOULD be here early next week (fingers crossed) - I'll be sure to post a few pics after I've got her out and had a play (can't wait:-)

THIS is one of the really good things about high quality reproductions as you were saying Jean - IF (God forbid) you *did* break one in training its not the same as destroying a 350 year old (or older) blade that is completely irreplaceable - I think we really *do* owe our antique swords a duty of care...

Which reminds me: WHERE'S MY *SOLINGEN* - I ***NEED* MY SOLINGEN! MIKE!?????:-)

John.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an AC as well. Very sturdy!
Looking forward to hearing how it she handles! :-D

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Oliver wrote:
Thanks Jean and Henrik!:-)

Which reminds me: WHERE'S MY *SOLINGEN* - I ***NEED* MY SOLINGEN! MIKE!?????:-)

John.

Waiting for the sword to arrive is the hardest part, but keep in mind that for some customs swords one can wait months or even YEARS to get it ! With Albion the wait is usually counted in weeks if it's a model in current production and that is not a problem with the Solingen as it has been in production for a long time.

But it is possible that delivery can be delayed by a few weeks if they don't have one on hand or have to produce one with a specific handle colour but it will arrive. Wink Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
John Oliver wrote:
... Which reminds me: WHERE'S MY *SOLINGEN* - I ***NEED* MY SOLINGEN! MIKE!?????:-) ....

Waiting for the sword to arrive is the hardest part, but keep in mind that for some customs swords one can wait months or even YEARS to get it ! ....

One must learn to embrace the exquisite agony of anticipation Big Grin .

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A few of my antique pieces...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: