Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Connecticut Vigilantes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Connecticut Vigilantes         Reply with quote

While browsing www.michaeldlong.com
I came across a sword marked Connecticut Vigilantes. The sword is mid 19th century. Has anyone any background on this group?

Although the word vigilante may have more modern meaning to some, I'm assuming it was a militia group. Whether it was supported by government, or not, I don't have a clue. It does seem that the two terms were used somewaht interchangably it several states.

Just one of those things that makes me go "hmmm" and wonder about local history a bit more.

Any leads would be appreciated. I'm going to spend some more time poking around. It seems like a possibly interesting search.

Cheers

GC
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen,
That is interesting. The 1850 date places that sword towards the end of the blued blade era (or did the Germans continue that practice a bit later than other countries?). I look forward to reading what you learn about the Vigilantes.

Jonathan
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan,

I should clarify, for those reading, that it is the scabbard and not the blade that is so marked. It is hard to say if the letters were stamped or etched because of the paint. That they are an inch tall is also kind of unusual.

As far as the blue and gilt, I've seen several continental pieces (German, French) from that late that still have this work. It is a bit later than what one might think as the heyday of the fashion but not uncommon, to my knowledge.

I had some interruptions here but I'm about to hit some searches on Connecticut military history.

Cheers

GC
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Google search reveals that "Connecticut Vigilante" is a kind of cigar. "Connecticut" refers to a particular variety of tobacco leaf, it seems, while "vigilante" seems to indicate the cigar type. There must be some connection to the paint on the weapon, but I can't find it. I can imagine the scabbard being painted some time in the late 19th or early 20th c and the weapon hung in a tobbaconist's shop as an advertisement of the cigars offered. The fact that it's a German weapon on an English auction site nudges me in that direction as well. Betcha a US dollar this weapon has never been to Connecticut.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
... "Connecticut" refers to a particular variety of tobacco leaf, it seems ....

Lots of tobacco is (or, at least, used to be) grown in Connecticut. I used to travel through there on business and saw the farms and tobacco barns/sheds.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean,

What I got out of Googling today was that vigilance committees in New England states were quite involved with abolitionist activity. They were apparently not endorsed by government but quite active in the protection and support of the "underground railroad". The time frame fits quite well. Connecticut was a bit gradual in their adoption of civil rights.

Somehow this seems a more likely connection for a top tier blue and gilt blade than a tobbaco advertisment.

Cheers

GC
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Somehow this seems a more likely connection for a top tier blue and gilt blade than a tobbaco advertisment.

Cheers

GC

To clarify--I wasn't suggesting that the sword was manufactured as a cigar advertisement. Some 19th c. swords simply wound up in some strange places. I get chills thinking about what became of Confederate swords (corn knives, etc.) Some 18th c. Scottish blades were used as fence posts. Oakeshott found one of his prized medieval swords in a bundle of old walking sticks. A friend recently told me about a woman who put two fine civil war era sabers on a trashpile for garbage collectors to haul away (a neighbor advised her that my friend had a standing offer to buy any sword for $100).

I agree that the abolitionist militia connection is more likely. However, we still have only one documented usage of the term "Connecticut Vigilante," and it's unrelated (directly, at least) to antebellum abolitionist militias. Now, I can see how the cigar term might refer to a cigar type originating in Connecticut and named (jokingly?) for fiery militant abolitionists. Who knows? If it were your sword, I'd suggest calling the History Detectives. Great program. They eat this stuff up. I forget who said this (Sagan?)--when you've eliminated every other possible explanation, the one remaining, no matter how outrageous, is likely correct. We're far from eliminating any possibile explanations for this weapon, though. Could even be from a local unit of Civil War volunteers. Makes sense that they'd first equip themselves with older arms and take a name referencing earlier abolitionist organizations. Given the double meaning of "Connecticut Vigilantes," and the proclivity of military men to exploiting such, I can also imagine a group of cocky volunteers taking the name of a cigar. That assumes that the cigar existed at the time, which isn't a safe assumption. It's an especially fascinating mystery. Big Grin

Of course, the scabbard also might have been painted as a joke (fraternity?lodge?).

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean,

I agree that direct attribution can be a tough one to nail down.

I'd link directly to the sword but that website doesn't work that way.
The piece is listed in the "other category in the sword section there.

It's tough to say whether the letters were rolled in, with a die during manufacture, or etched. The black paint covers the whole scabbard.

The term vigilante meant different things in Connecticut over the years and there were different groups, some exist today. In colonial times, it seems the vigilance groups were actually formed directly under mandate from local government. During the decade that preceded the American Civil War, New England (and New York) had quite active vigilance groups that were focusing on the civil rights issues.

On the other hand, I'm taking a closer look at the 13th volunteers from Connecticut and some other regiments that evolved from local militias. Vermont had a military company that had sprung from the Green Mountain Vigilantes, which hearkened back to the pre-abilitionist use of the term.

Many colonists had brought a great deal of tradition and government policy with them from England. Up through our revolution and drafting of constitution, a great deal of law enforcement and public safety was based on the old foundations.

An older fraternal organization sounds completely plausible and was actually (more or less, in my mind) how I framed the original question.
I was simply fielding whether anyone might have heard of such a group.

AFAIK; the tobacco and cigar reference is quite modern and post dates the still present Cuba embargo.

Cheers

GC
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As somewhat of a cigar afficenado, I can offer this about the Conneticut Vigilante: Connetiticut shadeleaf tobacco is a mild wrapper leaf grown under cheesecloth awnings. Not long ago I came across several acres of shadeleaf being grown not far from the Hartford airport...I'm sure there is much more. It makes a very tasty and mild wrapper leaf for premium handrolled cigars. I think "vigilante" is the name of the brand, not the type of cigar. There is no "vigilante" size or length that I am personally aware of such as "Churchills", "Toros," "Panatello," "Torpedos," etc. It was probably an advertising gimmick.
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, cigar brand/co. is what I'm seeing and Nicaraguan origin would (to me) indicate within the past fifty years.

I'm still plowing through some history sites and fraternal lists. There was a fraternal group called the Vigilantes but I have not yet connected it to 19th century Connecticut. The 13th volunteers led to some interesting biographies but no connection yet.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Connecticut Vigilantes
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic