Go to page 1, 2  Next

Odin zweihander
Hi There are a few pictures of a new Odin zweihander over at SFI. I regret I cannot post them here myself, but if you guys were to check it and maybe post em here I would appreciate your comments. I took the idea for this one from some pictures provided by a few members of myArmoury and they are greatly appreciated. :)
Here are the images. Beautiful work John I love the way the blade just seems to flow.

Attachment: 82.04 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 74.47 KB
6.jpg

Attachment: 83.77 KB
3.jpg

Attachment: 90.67 KB
4.jpg

That's an interesting take on that style of weapon John. I like the work on the ricasso especially.
i wish i'd gotten a chance to handel the finished piece, so sweet.
rock on man
Very graceful beast, if you ask me. I like the fleur-de-lys details on the guard coupled with the green grip...
whats the website for this?
Thanks
Christopher
Christopher Finneman wrote:
whats the website for this?
Thanks
Christopher

If you click on this button at the bottom of John's post ([ Linked Image ]) it'll take you to his website. Odinblades is also listed on our links page.
Wow! Very impressive work, John. I like the ricasso and the shape of & cutouts in the cross.
Re: Odin zweihander{John}
Thanks for getting these pix posted for me as I forgot.
just to let you know, the sword is based off a historical design odin-ised with some detail on the recasso.
the disk shape on the blade comes from the original.
I really like the hilt.The best zweihander I've ever seen.
Any stats on this beauty?
What an wonderfully done sowrd of this type. IS the handle wood or leather covered? Any stats on this beastie?

Joel
Re: Any stats on this beauty?
Joel Whitmore wrote:
What an wonderfully done sowrd of this type. IS the handle wood or leather covered? Any stats on this beastie?

Joel
Hi The grips are woodcore with leather cord and thin leather wrap. Here's a few stats:
67" total length
48"blade
13" guard
6.125"balance
7lbs I had a lower weight here on my scale in the shop, closer to 6 1/2 depends on where you balance sword on the scale.
3/8th" thick at shoulder. This allows for a high raised ridge and diamond cross section with no apple seed for cutting. It is also quite alot stiffer than some of the other zweihander I made. Lots of distal taper too. The tang gets some taper too. The guard and blade as Sean said are based on historical samples. I got them from some members here and I am greatful. Thanks
John,

I really enjoy weapons that are made with a bit of artistic flair without compromising function. Your work is some of the best I've seen in this regard. This sword has many historical elements yet enough creative license to make it uniquely yours. Very nice.
It's awesome to see a Zweihander that's decorative without being impractical and long without being heavy or unbalanced--I'd love to see how it handled.
How long does the fuller run along the blade, since it's in shadow in the image?
-Wilhelm
William Knight wrote:
It's awesome to see a Zweihander that's decorative without being impractical and long without being heavy or unbalanced--I'd love to see how it handled.
How long does the fuller run along the blade, since it's in shadow in the image?
-Wilhelm
Thanks folks. The fuller tapers to a point about 3" or less from tip, if I remember correctly.
Sean Belair wrote:
i wish i'd gotten a chance to handel the finished piece, so sweet.
rock on man
Yeah Sean I think you woulda liked the end result. No matter, you can help me make the next one;)
Patrick Kelly wrote:
John,

I really enjoy weapons that are made with a bit of artistic flair without compromising function. Your work is some of the best I've seen in this regard. This sword has many historical elements yet enough creative license to make it uniquely yours. Very nice.
Well thanks. I tried to make it more historical than artistic, due to the many examples I had pictures of for help. Somehow it just ended up alittle Odinized again. The customer had actually asked for one like the first Scott Brandt one, but with a flamberge blade, I talked him into this;) I could do a flamberge I think but would not even care to try that.
i had the pictures i took sent to me. it will give you an idea what went into the cross guard.
sorry they only go so far but school called me back before completion

Attachment: 75.25 KB
blade anvil.jpg

Attachment: 107.51 KB
cut out.jpg

Attachment: 111.2 KB
drawn.jpg

Attachment: 107.55 KB
drawn out.jpg

Sean,

Very cool "in progress" pics! Having absolutely no fabricating skills, I find it fascinating to see the process by which people create things.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: