Scabbard Thanks
This is my first post, although I have been reading for some time. Recently I completed a scabbard for my first sword, an Albion Knight. I would like to thank everyone in the past few months for their generosity in posting information about scabbards and their production. This information has truly made this project a successful one.
Bandics

Attachment: 56.44 KB
scab1.jpg

Attachment: 100.21 KB
scab2.jpg
5-6 oz. Leather straps

Attachment: 59.92 KB
scab3.jpg
2 oz. leather covering on 3/16 in. thick wood core

Attachment: 97.77 KB
scab4.jpg

Attachment: 81.44 KB
scab5.jpg
Chape from Mercia Sveiter which I do not recommend.
That is magnificent. You did a wonderful job. By any chance did you do a step-by-step photo journal of the creation process? Also, why do you not recommend the chape in question?
George Hill wrote:
That is magnificent. You did a wonderful job. By any chance did you do a step-by-step photo journal of the creation process? Also, why do you not recommend the chape in question?

Hi

Im interested also in why the chape doesnt meet requirements?

Nick
Scabbard
Very niffty Ryan ! Do you give lessons ? Nice to see a good authentic style scabbard. Well done indeed. And I even love the colour !!

Cheers !
Excellent scabbard. I also would like to know why the chape didn't meet your standards.
Chape
I don't recommend the chape in question for several reasons. It was very poorly casted from the start, thickness varied greatly. Also it needed a lot of clean up i.e filing, polishing etc. not at all what the pic on the web shows. It also was not completely symmetrical. Besides its quality, A cast chape is problematic in that you must make the scabbard fit the chape. Ideally in my opinion, one should make the chape fit the scabbard for the best fit. Most of the processes I used have been documented else where on this site, so I don't have step by step photographs.
The only thing I think I did different than most is I sewed the undersized leather cover first, wet it and pushed the core into it. This works well unless you intend to use cord for bands.
Thanks again all
Bandics
I propose a new thread in which we discuss the scabbard chapes on the market, as well as other scabbard fittings, and what is good and bad. Or have we already had that thread and I missed it?
George Hill wrote:
I propose a new thread in which we discuss the scabbard chapes on the market, as well as other scabbard fittings, and what is good and bad. Or have we already had that thread and I missed it?

There has been at least one thread here where the poster was looking for scabbard fittings. Several different options were discussed. The forum search feature should help you track it down. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: