Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Removing rust. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Tony G.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Removing rust.         Reply with quote

Can anybody give me any infomation how to remove hard rust from a Burgonet.
Thanks Tony.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd suggest using 0000 steel wool...
Good luck!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Tony G.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that Henrik but this is hard thick rock solid rust that would need getting off with a hammer and chisel.
Only joking but its that hard and thick.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tony G. wrote:
Thanks for that Henrik but this is hard thick rock solid rust that would need getting off with a hammer and chisel.
Only joking but its that hard and thick.

Maybe not joking. Very hard and thick may be chipped off with glancing blows with something hard. I've used the edge of a large metal file, for example. Best be aware (as I'm sure you are, but i'll say it anyway) that if it is that hard and thick it may be 'structural' and what you are left with after removing it may be rather less than perfect. If it is a bit less solid, a stiff wire brush would be my choice.
Geoff
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No idea how to get rust out of it.

But it looks like a nice piece.

"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

why not leave it as it is?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Immersing it in white vinegar will etch it if it is steel, and this will cause the rust to pop off. I am unsure how this will work if it is plain iron. Either way it is not adviseable I think for an original piece. It is possible that the rust is deep enough that there will be holes/ large pits in the metal if it is removed. Regardless it will probably lose considerable value unless it is left as is or taken to a professional restorer.
Larry Davis

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have restored early armour in this state by using well worn glass beads or walnut shells (commercially ground) in a sand blaster.
Aluminium oxide might cut to fast and damage the piece.
Try the blast at a low pressure and work up. But remember that sand blasting will work harden or 'temper' the steel so be cautious!

Make sure to use a cabinet type recycling blaster for your safety.

I suppose one could use a fine grain of glass bead if one did not have a supply of used glass bead handy.

Most machine shops will have a blaster you could hire for a few hours, sometimes a case of beer works as payment.

cheers,

Larry.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another method of chemical removal might be Renaissance Metal De-Corroder. I recently posted this topic, requesting responses from forumites who might have experience with it. Unfortunately, there has been no experience feedback, so far, and I wouldn't want to try it out for the first time on a piece of any value, much less an historic artifact.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If this is an antique, I'd be wary of damaging it and destroying value and important clues by cleaning it. I'd consult a professional. Looks like a neat piece, though.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For any antique you need to be very careful. Professionals would be the best choise, but if you want to pursue this one by you self there is something you can do. If you want to retain it's value, then conservation is all you need to do. And for conservation you just need to prevent any further damage to the helmet. At this point it would be to deactivate and remove that nasty red active rust. First of all do not use anything that is harder than the material you are cleaning. This way you would end up removing the actual metal of the helm, not just the rust. This takes a lot of work but is the most gentle way. Soak an area of the helm with gun oil or similar, let it work it's way for a while. Get some sort of brush (brass, nylon) and start rubbing the rust off gently. Remember you don't want to scratch the metal. Repeat over the whole helm. You may need to do several passes and it might need a lot of time to soak in the oil.

PS. I've never done this but have read about it and talked about it with antique collectors.
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Chad. You shouldn't clean an original, because of the danger of removing remnants of the original surface which might still contain valuable information.
That is why most preserved swords are worthless today from an archaeological point of view, simply because they were cleaned by eager collectors. Even Ewart Oakeshott admitted to have done this in his early collecting years.
Removing of rust should always be done by professionals, if at all.

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
If this is an antique, I'd be wary of damaging it and destroying value and important clues by cleaning it. I'd consult a professional. Looks like a neat piece, though.

It would be criminal to sandblast or touch an antique, only professional restorers can do it.

Just contact a museum for assistance before anything.

A museum lik the Met or Higgins, not a country museum ...
Greg Thomas Obach
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

how deep is the rust? is it sheet like or has it started pitting and drilling in..
-- sometimes with photos it'll look much worst than it is..

also.. i wouldn't leave it to actively rust .... or you'll be letting it continue on its course......

you have many ways to go about preserving it.. ... just choose a method that best keeps its original character...

- vinnegar or acetic acid.... will loosen off the flaky rust... works much the same way when removing firescale from a forged steel

- some pocket knife collectors....... emerse the whole pocket knife in mineral oil for a month.... then litely rub with a towel and a good bit of the scunge will come off...

on some steels..... i've used acetic.... removed some flakey rust.... then neutralized..... and then a tannic acid ( gallo ) treatment to stop the rusting.... turns the remaining lite rust a dark color .... stops most of the corrosion...

theres also an electolytic way...

and other abrading methods... with powders and laps

Greg
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
It would be criminal to sandblast or touch an antique

An interesting point. Do you then, in your country, have 'listing' for antiques, as we do for some buildings in the UK, such that changing them is prohibited under law?

Geoff
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:
It would be criminal to sandblast or touch an antique

An interesting point. Do you then, in your country, have 'listing' for antiques, as we do for some buildings in the UK, such that changing them is prohibited under law?

Geoff

Archeological items cannot be exported without license, they are protected, even if smuggling is rampant they are formally protected.

Any artwork for export must go through paperwork.

Archeological finds are state property, the retrievers that keep them or reasure huntners are fully considered thieves and can be tried if they don't consign their findings to the state.

Historical buildings are obviously protected, even if developers do what is possible to hamper the wok of the agencies that are in charge of protecing antiquities.

Local politicians do their part in cuttig the nails of such agencies too.

But the law is still formally very strict, an acquaintance of mine got two years just for having bought amphorae from the roman era on the black market, he didn't get in just because there was a general amnesty before he had to serve any term: he was a normal individual with no criminal record.

Items that are in private hands are in most case unrgistered, however, so anything may happen: private individuals nonetheless tend to have items restored to keep their value, being aware of the devaluation coming from a bad restoration.

Since there is in Italy a wide network of first class restorers most items, with the exception of furniture, get in good hands.

Let's not forget that egyptian paintings in the pyramids were given to italian teams for restoring.

Florentine and venetian restorers, for obvious reasons, are among the best.
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So far Henrik has the best option, use #0000 steel wool. It will take a long time but that is how you do it. To help facilitate the loosening of the rust you can use the wool in conjuction with oil, break free, or Flitz. This will ensure that you are going slowly and do not attack the original metal too aggressively. Oakeshotte once wrote that in his early days of collecting he cleaned a medieval sword till it was bright and shiny. This was an action that he always regretted.

Take it slow and easy.
Tony G.

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all for you posts, I have been soaking the helmet in vinigar and each day , lightly scraping with strips of
sheet copper, and wire wool then a hard scrubing brush in hot soapy water, every day more flakes are coming off.
The pitting is not to deep and there are also remains of black pitch. I shall put on another picture in the next few days.
Thanks again for you help, Tony.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tony G. wrote:
Thanks all for you posts, I have been soaking the helmet in vinigar and each day , lightly scraping with strips of
sheet copper, and wire wool then a hard scrubing brush in hot soapy water, every day more flakes are coming off.
The pitting is not to deep and there are also remains of black pitch. I shall put on another picture in the next few days.
Thanks again for you help, Tony.

Can you tell us more about this piece? Is it an antique? Is it modern?

If it's an antique and has some value, either monetarily or as a historical artifact, I fear you've made a grave error in your methodology.

Much of the advice given in this topic was good...

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you don't stop this kind of process you will end up with a strongly devalued piece, not only, you will likely set off chemical reactions that could give way to more rusting and deterioration.

Special chemicals are required not only for cleaning, which can be done only to a certain point, but for stabilizing the piece:

the real goal of restoration is stabilization, complete derusting in such cases is impossible without spoiling the surface, maybe yu will be losing other informatons, as well as original patina.

You are acting as a novice on a piece that requires careful professional attention.

As far as you have gone its value may have dwindled by more than half.

Possibly you have made more damage that one-hundreed years of bad storage.

Do not go on, if you wish to avoid turning into a wreck from a collector's and archeologist's standpoint.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Removing rust.
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: