Attachment: 14.08 KB
Viking Sword 1.JPG

Close up of the Hilt area.

Attachment: 20.6 KB
Viking Sword 2.JPG

Close up of the pattern-weld.

Attachment: 81.41 KB
Viking Sword Steel 1.JPG

Info on the original upon which the sword is based.

Attachment: 56.44 KB
Viking Sword Info2.JPG

Hi Steve!

What a nice piece! I can't wait to see her all done and in your
hands, ready to whack at some Franks! I talked to Vince yesterday,
and my own baby isn't too far behind yours. So the blade stork will
be busy soon, delivering steely goodness all over the county. :)

Alex
Hi Steve

Truely an amazing piece of work ..... the man is something else !

Having glimpsed the future .... 'Masterpiece' is the only word that describes it !

Bet your on pins & needles ;-) Congrats you lucky dog ! Mac
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Wow Steve! Another outstanding sword from Vince! I really love the carved grip. Okay... so I really love everything about it from the pommel to the tip. I hope you will write a review of this sword for all of us non owners! :lol: Fantastic my friend!

Best regards,
Ron
Very nice indeed.
This is my favorite hlt type for Viking swords, and this example certainly a wonderful example of it!
Now to Completely P*** Some of You Off
Actually, I had a bit of a brain fade when I posted the first pic. The above are "In-Progress" pics. I noticed that after I attached the first photo, considered correcting it, then decided to post them anyway...to add to the dramatic effect of what comes below.

After seeing the first pics I emailed Vince and said something to the effect that the sword looks fine except that the pommel and the cross guard were a bit plain. Did he give some thoughts as to bluing the furniture and maybe engraving them?

His reply:

Dear Idiot (well actually he called me by my name but we all know what he meant),

I plan to engrave and inlay the upper and lower cross guards with a Maltese
cross in the center and knotwork on the sides, then blue them...

Below are the finished shots.

The grip material is caribou antler which was polished smooth.
Oops! Here are the pics.

Attachment: 56.42 KB
Viking Sword Hilt.JPG

And the close up off the pommel

Attachment: 78.27 KB
Viking Sword Pommel.JPG

I liked it before, but my now that it's done isn't it a thing of beauty? Someone talk to me about these maltese crosses. I know that Mr. Evans is something of a stickler when it comes to historical accuracy. What's the real history behind a maltese cross being on a viking era blade?
Russ Ellis wrote:
I liked it before, but my now that it's done isn't it a thing of beauty? Someone talk to me about these maltese crosses. I know that Mr. Evans is something of a stickler when it comes to historical accuracy. What's the real history behind a maltese cross being on a viking era blade?

I wondered the same thing, but after reading the article above, I see why it was put there.
Drat being observant has never been my strong suit. Okay so we know it's been done but do we know what the significance was? Anyone?
What a beautiful sword. Congrats Stephen, I'm glad it's going to someone who can appreciate it.

I think I like this one better than the last viking sword Vince made. Simply beautiful.

Needless to say, I'm green with envy :p
Drool..... :eek:

Looks like a faithful recreation of that sword. Of course one must make an educated guess at the length of the blade and the point section, and pick a grip design. And the original was silver-plated.
I think the combination of silver, white, and blued(black) elements is stunning, truly stunning. Are the "woven" designs Mr. Evan's own creative license, or are they from the original? SotVA mentions crosses and "other designs," but doesn't give many details.
As to the significance of the crosses:
1) The Type-Z Hilt is dated to 950-1050(-ish). Christianity was well-established in Denmark and Norway by 1050. By 1150 -- easily within the working lifetime of a sword made in 1050 -- Christianity was well-established in Sweden. Christian and pagan symbology co-existed for quite some time, so a Christian cross and "pagan designs" on the same sword might not be unusual. It also might have been added at a later date by a later -- Christian -- owner.
2) Perhaps the real question is, why a "Maltese" Cross? The term "Maltese Cross" specifically means "A cross made of four straight-lined, pointed arrowheads, with the ends of the arms being indented in a "V" shape." According to a little research, the first known appearance of a true "Maltese Cross" (as appears on the V.Evans sword) is circa 1550. Therefore it's relevant to consider the possibility that Mr. Peirce (or Mr. Leppaho, whose work Mr. Peirce cites) is being imprecise with his terminology. Are they (Peirce and/or Leppaho) using the term "Maltese Cross" too broadly, to mean a stylized cross of some form or another, such as a "Greek Cross" or a "Cross Potent" (aka "Latin Cross") both of which appear on numerous blades in SotVA? Perhaps a "Cross Formee"? We cannot see the crosses in the photograph of the original sword, so I have to question the statement that they are "Maltese Crosses" in the true sense of the term. A web search for "Maltese Cross history" will bring up relevant pages for those interested.

Regards,
Brian M
Not a Viking Sword Fan, but...
that is simply outstanding! Congratulations to you Stephen and well done Mr. Evans! The detail picture of the hilt, and more specifically the inlays on the hilt are superb. That is a true heirloom piece Stephen, may it grace your house for many generations to come.

James
Just an amazing piece of work ..... the inlay is gorgeous and contrasts beautifully with the blued furniture !

I really luv the proportions of the pommel & guard .......just super !

Here's another "in-progress" shot that shows the blade seating at the guard !

Congrats again Stephen , and a big 'High Five' to the man !

Mac

Attachment: 53.89 KB
vinceviking4.jpg

I really like the pattern welding on this blade. It's of a very authentic construction, unlike much of the pattern welding we see in the custom market.

I wish I had known about this sword Stephen. I may just have taken a trip to Vegas to get it. Then again, maybe it's best that I didn't know about it :mad:
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: