Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of Vlad Tepes (Dracula) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings,

I apolgize that it's been so long that I have replied, haha, live has been catching up to me! Big Grin I Well, in this quote is all that my romanian Romulus knows and tells me so here it is folks. I am most interested also, since my preference of blades are straight ones! Haha, without further adieu!

Quote:
haven't seen the sword in army museum in Bucharest. It is possible that Vlad Tepes could have used both swords in different ocasions, but the scimitar-like curved sword was very wide spread in romanian countries. Even Johanes Huniady, the governor of Hungary is represented in a period picture with a curved sword, even he was best known as a very good archer and a user of a two handed sword. It is possible that the scimitar like sword to be used in conjunction with the civilian/parade clothes because the picture I am talking about represents him receiving a turkish emisary at his court.

Have a good night! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Thomas Laible

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: news         Reply with quote

I had an e-mail conversation with an expert about romanian swords.
Mr. Pinter wrote a book about swords in medieval transilvania:
http://arheologie.ulbsibiu.ro/publicatii/cart...uprins.htm

However he did some research and told me that nowhere in Romania exists a sword, which is surely addicted to Vlad Tepes. So it seems to be, that is was a hoax made up for or by the TV team.

Thomas

student at www.alte-kampfkunst.de
Etienne Terpan

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I put the topic out of the grave Big Grin
I'm actually doing some research about Vlad Tepes for a comic books. I'm looking for any informations about armours in Valachia around 1450. I know the topic is ancient, but maybe since that time, somebody would have traveled to Romania and get some informations about the knight armours in this location...
Ozsváth Árpád-István

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm actually from Transylvania and I'm not a Vampire though Happy
Vlad Tepes has little to with Transylvania, except that he was born there. Back than Transylvania was part of Hungary. Shortly after it went under Turkish occupation.
Vlad the third or Vlad the impaler was monarch of Valachia. In the romanian folklore he appears as a cruel but fair ruler who punishes the guilty but protects the innocent. Little or nothing is known about his swords, but I could imagine him with a turkish Kilij.
Etienne Terpan

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A documentary I found (in french sorry), also mentionned Vlad using a Kilij and not a Toledo sword :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk02tr_l-ult...Z80ZcoaOkY

But in this film, the armour looks pretty fantasist. I'm not sure Vlad would have a Haubert in 1450, and the shield is deffinitly wrong (Vlad as a crow of the Barasab on his shield, the Dragon was on his father's one).

Have you got any info about Valachian armour on that time ? Not particulary Vlad's one, but the standart of the nobles of the location in the same period ?
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can start by searching trough Manuscript miniatures, Armour in Art and similar sites for art from that time and place:

http://armourinart.com/search/?year=&year...er_page=50

Generally, I would suspect mostly Western/Central Europe influences on hospodars, voivodas and other high ranked individuals, but I'm definitely not sure.
Isaac D Rainey

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is from the Spike TV show Deadliest Warrior, it is a horrendous show filled with stereotypes and misinformation about weapons and armor. They try to pit historical figures against each other to see who would win. They usually do a few unbalanced "tests" to see which weapons are better and then put in the data in a computer which will calculate how many times out of a thousand each warrior would win. The hosts and "experts" they have on the show have no idea (for the most part) what they are talking about, and are extremely biased.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jun, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Sword of Vlad Tepes (Dracula)         Reply with quote

I myself had never seen Vlad Țepeș's sword itself. There are no photographic proof of such sword, I'm afraid. His sword is only found on manuscripts and paintings but no one knows whether the real weapon exists or not.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of Vlad Tepes (Dracula)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: