Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new buyers 1st purchase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
C. S. Collick

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: new buyers 1st purchase         Reply with quote

Hello to all. My first post so please bear with me. I am interested in purchasing a sword, my first, but like many have limited money to spend (somewhere in the 200.00 + range). I've narrowed my choices to either the Cold Steel Viking sword or the MRL "Leuterit" sword. Both are in the right price range and of a style I like. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Can only spend the money once so I don't want to make any mistakes. Question

Thanks, Clint
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would guide you to MRL. As far as the best prices to be found anywhere? "My" personal favorite internet store to do business with is www.kultofathena.com the owners name is Ryan and what he says is in stock is indeed in stock, I know this to be true because I live 17 miles from the store and I've done a lot of business there. I have yet to be less than happy with any business transaction.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to either PM me or email me! I would be more than happy to help in any way I can even though I am just starting my second year in this fantastic website! This website is filled with experts in all areas, be it manufacturers of swords, sword instructors, sword historians, you name them, those experts are here!

Welcome to a really great place that has become the epicenter of importance to me along the lines of this fantastic hobby of collecting historical arms and armour.

Again, please feel free to contact me!

Bob
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, I believe that MRL has some kind of satisfaction guarantee. I think they may even eat the return shipping expense on that one, but you would have to verify these yourself.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I would recommend that you save up another $150 and buy the Albion Squire Line Viking. It's worth the wait for the better quality and accuracy. You can see the sword here: http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...viking.htm

But I also know what it feels like to have your eye on something and money burning a hole in the wallet. So I would have to agree with the others and say if you really can't wait and save that extra $150, get the MRL.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have owned the Lueterit, and handled the CS Viking. Of the two, you can get about even pricing on ebay. I would reccomend the CS for several reasons. First, the Leuterit photographs much better than it looks in person. I was disappointed in the handle and corss/pommel. Second, the blade is very whippy and the entire piece is very heavy. Its a much bigger sword than you might expect, the blade is very wide. The cold steel blade is for one shipped sharp if that is of value to you, and it handles pretty well.

Hope that helps.

If you are really interested in an MRL piece, I would reccomend that new sword of Tristan.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Allen W

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've played with both and Lauterit wins hands down. While the metal contrasts on the hilt don't look very good in person the blade looks far more like a viking blade than the CS even though it has a clear spine near the tip(as does the CS) the wide fuller is of an appropriate proportion. The CS blade looks like something from much later than the viking era and is not nearly so lively in the hands as the Lauterit.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new buyers 1st purchase
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic