New MRL longsword
This one actually looks decent, though I'd redo the grip. It's supposedly based on a weapon shown in Armi Bianche Italiane.

Attachment: 107.06 KB
[ Download ]
For those interested, this one is called the "Italian Hand & Half" and can be found here for the current price of $275.
Thanks, Nathan. I forget that their new site allows direct linking.

You're the only person I know who owns Armi Bianche Italiane. How does the repro compare to the orginal, aesthetically/statistically?
Sean Flynt wrote:
You're the only person I know who owns Armi Bianche Italiane. How does the repro compare to the orginal, aesthetically/statistically?

I paged through the book several times and didn't see anything that resembles it.
The MRL "Italian Hand & Half" is not a bad looking piece. But 'hand & half' seems a misnomer. MRL quotes the following statistics:
Overall-53"
Blade-42" long, 2" wide, 1/4" thick
Wt.-6 lbs.
Meh, the're just trying to copy Albions new blade designs. (Blade, not hilt mind you)
Nathan Robinson wrote:
For those interested, this one is called the "Italian Hand & Half" and can be found here for the current price of $275.

:eek: That's a nice-looking piece, and not a bad price either!
Alex Oster wrote:
Meh, the're just trying to copy Albions new blade designs. (Blade, not hilt mind you)

You're right, the blade detailing looks a lot like the new Albion swords (Gallowglass/Margrave, etc).

It looks nice enough, but I don't care for the finish on the guard.
Alex Oster wrote:

That's a big assumption as similar blade designs are found in plenty of historical examples from the era.
Re: New MRL longsword
Sean Flynt wrote:
...It's supposedly based on a weapon shown in Armi Bianche Italiane.

Hey Sean...

This is the closest thing I found... I am pretty sure the source is Armi Bianche Italiane... but it does not look too much like the MRL version, unless you really squint your eyes.

ks

Attachment: 94.34 KB
RGH.1RngGrd.Cone.Bast1555ABI.jpg

hi Kirk-
Yeah, I found other swords in the book with the same hilt type, but nothing even closely resembling the MRL version. The grip length, pommel shape, proportions, etc, are all different.
What's more, this looks Saxon rather than Italian. That's judging from Oakeshott's illustrations.
Well I just find it interesting that they just now decided to repo this blade type... now that Albion has some of theirs out. Maybe its just coincidence though. :confused:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: