Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL's German Bastard Sword VS. Ancient Edge's Broadsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Darryl Petrucci

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: MRL's German Bastard Sword VS. Ancient Edge's Broadsword         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any opinions on MRL's German Bastard Sword or Ancient Edge's Broadsword with double ring guard?
I am trying to decide which to purchase, but can't make up my mind. They both have a similar look, and I really would like to start off my collection with a bastard sword. I don't plan to use the sword for re-enactments or swordplay, I just want a decent piece. Also, I am on a budget, so that is why I have narrowed it down to those choices. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can view the swords here:

http://www.ancientedge.com/product_141_detailed.html
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/s...sword.aspx
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since they appear to be made by the same company one would expect materials and workmanship to be similar as are the sizes and length so I would guess that your decision is going to be pretty much decided on aesthetics and personal preference.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Darryl Petrucci

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did notice they both seem to made by Windlass Steelcrafts, but I was wondering if one was made better than the other, as the one offered by Ancient Edge seems to be an older production piece. I have heard that MRL's quality is sometimes hit or miss, especially on their older items. Not that I expect a high quality item, but I don't want something that falls apart either.
Thanks for the reply.
By the way, what manufactures have you had luck with?
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ancient Edge is a subsidiary of Bugei, a company specializing in japanese weapons and martial arts. Two years ago James Williams, the owner of Bugei, told me he hadn't had the time to develop Ancient Edge and it wasn't going anywhere. Judging from the website this doesn't seem to have changed. MRL no longer list the "broadsword" for sale so the subject might be a moot point. Before placing an order you may want to try contacting Ancient Edge to make sure the company is still active and does in fact have the sword in stock.

With MRL you're not going to receive an excellent sword. It may be a satisfactory piece in relation to the price but it won't be anything to be proud of. If you'd like advice on other companies it might be best to tell us how much you're willing to spend as there's a wide range in price and quality.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darryl Petrucci wrote:
I did notice they both seem to made by Windlass Steelcrafts, but I was wondering if one was made better than the other, as the one offered by Ancient Edge seems to be an older production piece. I have heard that MRL's quality is sometimes hit or miss, especially on their older items. Not that I expect a high quality item, but I don't want something that falls apart either.
Thanks for the reply.
By the way, what manufactures have you had luck with?

Sorry, unfortunately I do not have any special insight into either piece although as a general statement (which is how he made it) I think Patrick is spot on. Based on what you are looking at it appears that you are interested in the 200-300 dollar range. For that money you might want to consider buying a del tin although you might have to settle for a used one or add a little money to it.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Ancient Edge sword is an ancient Windlass sword. Don't know if this is old stock or what, but this piece was in their discontinued/closeout catalog a year or two ago, IIRC. I actually prefer the look of this piece, and it might be OK, but the Ancient Edge price seems ludicrous to me. Don't know how they can justify it, but whatever the market will bear, I guess. As a new entry to the Windlass catalog, I'd expect the GBS to be much better made and finished. Better yet, it's based on a publicly documented original (the other is based on a weapon in Hank R's collection):

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...light=a477

See also Oakeshott's discussion/typology of bastard swords in European Weapons and Armor from the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution. He uses this very sword to illustrate the type (drawing only, unfortunately, but the MRL sword is dead-ringer). For what it's worth, MRL's German Rapier was based on a Wallace piece, and it's a very nice reproduction.

I'm waiting for the German Bastard Sword to hit the closeout bin. Big Grin

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be aware, too, that in the past MRL/Windlass nickel-plated otherwise nice hilt furniture. I don't know if that's the case with the Broad Sword with Double Ring Guard, but if it is you're stuck with that plastic-shiny finish. Personally, I'd blacken that hilt (and make a leather grip wrap) so lacquer would be a (non-historical) finish option.
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, I just noticed the new MRL Italian Longsword. This one has the best of both the weapons under discussion. Forget what I said about waiting for the German Longsword to hit the discount bin. I'm waiting for this one! I'd love to see it with a German-style bottle-shaped grip.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=81134#81134

The price is $275, unfortunately. I wouldn't/couldn't touch it for more than $200.

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL's German Bastard Sword VS. Ancient Edge's Broadsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic