Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 42nd Regimental Dirk -- "Culloden Era" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: 42nd Regimental Dirk -- "Culloden Era"         Reply with quote

Searching the listing for Dirks in the US version of Ebay this evening, I came across something very interesting. There is a listed for a "Culloden Era" dirk which the lister in Nottingham, UK says is circa 1750 (!!). The interesting thing about this item other than the supposed date) is that the pommel cap is marked "42" and "L6." I believe this to be a regimentally marked dirk for the 42nd Regiment of Foot, 6th Company (there were ten regular companies per regiment plus a light company and a grenadier company, usually) between the time they were officially realigned into the English Establishment as the 42nd Regiment (first embodied in 1740 as the 43rd Regiment) and becoming the Royal Highland Regiment (RHR) in 1758. This would be the post-Culloden, Seven Years War era. My reasoning for this dating is that every item I have ever seen of weaponry post-1758 has "RHR" or even "Royal Highland Regt," rather than 42nd. I have personally examined a munition grade broadsword, Long Land Pattern Brown Bess and a steel pistol from this era and this holds true for all. Consequently I believe this important piece is from the brief 9 year period between its renumbering in the Line Regiments of Foot and its creation of RHR by King George III in 1758.

If I am right, this is the only example I am aware of in existance of a 42nd dirk from this period. I am sure others are floating around, but this is an exciting first for me and I wanted to share it with those like-minded souls that I (tounge in cheek) refer to a "celtospathophiles."

Note that the dirk seems to be made of sheet brass and has what I assume is a non-functional or barely functional blade.

Attachment: 99.93 KB
42bd Dirk Picture 1.GIF

Attachment: 49.28 KB
42nd Dirk - Picture 2.GIF

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a shot of what I mean by being made out of sheet brass. Very cheaply made for show, I think.

Attachment: 57.66 KB
42nd Dirk - Picture 3.GIF

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a truly interesting piece. I think you are right about its provenance. I am puzzled about the blade however. The weapons carried by the RHRs were meant to be used in battle, not just for decoration.

Thanks for sharing it.

LR

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 42nd Regimental Dirk -- "Culloden Era"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic