Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Zweihander blade thickness? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexander V Stelmakh

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Zweihander blade thickness?         Reply with quote

Hi All !

Please help me in this question. How thickness have zweihander or two handed sword, but no "flamberg" in 1520-1560 ?

Best regards. Alexander.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Zweihander blade thickness?         Reply with quote

Alexander V Stelmakh wrote:
Hi All !

Please help me in this question. How thickness have zweihander or two handed sword, but no "flamberg" in 1520-1560 ?

Best regards. Alexander.

Alexander,
Welcome to myArmoury.com. There won't be any one thickness for any group of swords, since swords vary (sometimes wildly). What you get, if there is info available, will be a range or average.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Alexander V Stelmakh

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see. Well, maybe someone has any info about this subject?

What i'm interesting in is the range of the allowed(historically suitable) thickness of the sword's blade.
If anyone knows any info (books, articles, etc) or where could I get this info, I would be very grateful for the any help provided.

And the last but not the least - maybe someone knows any parameters about the extant zweihader?

Truly yours , Alexander
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander V Stelmakh wrote:
I see. Well, maybe someone has any info about this subject?

What i'm interesting in is the range of the allowed(historically suitable) thickness of the sword's blade.
If anyone knows any info (books, articles, etc) or where could I get this info, I would be very grateful for the any help provided.

And the last but not the least - maybe someone knows any parameters about the extant zweihader?

Truly yours , Alexander

Hi Alexander

The lengths, widths, blades shapes and types vary. You can find hex crossections, and you can find fullered crossections, and I've even seen flattened diamond crossections.......

The blades distal taper, sometimes 30%, sometimes as much as 70%.

I think you'd find that thickness at the base is quite often appropriate for the length...... I have specs of one twohander that the thickness is 13mm at the ricasso.......... then again, there's one just 15 miles from here in a private collection where the thickness at the ricasso is 8mm....... I don't know that you'd find too many antiques much thinner than the latter, but its possible, and I don't have any specs of any thicker than 13mm, but I wouldn't be surprised that there's something out there larger than that.....

As Chad says, varies quite a bit.........

swords are fun
Alexander V Stelmakh

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!

Thank you very much for the answers.
Maybe there is anyone who has any existing sword's picture on 1550, with sizes known ? It's a shame but there is no museums here, where I live, where I could see the sword alive..Maybe anyone would help please? Will be grateful for any help provided...

And another question- if there was any swords without becoming thinner to the top of it? I mean the swords with the same thickness of the whole sword's blade.

Kind regards,
Alexander.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Zweihander blade thickness?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic