Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need Advice on New Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andy Biggers

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Need Advice on New Project         Reply with quote

Hey all,

Although I have lurked on this forum for quite some time, this is my first official post. So, greetings all.

Now down to business.

I have a fairly substantial blade collection consisting of items acquired over a great many years. However, I had never considered making a blade of my own until recently. It is on this new project that I am writing for advice.

Let me begin by explaining that while I have never actually made a bladed weapon, I am extremely competent with grinders and belt sanders etc., so I am not unfamilliar with the "machinery" needed to produce a blade. It should also probably be made clear that I do not intend to forge my blade, but rather follow the stock removal method. Let me explain my plans in a bit more detail.

I have acquired a beautiful damascus billot and wish to make a long seax with it. The billot was supplied machine ground flat on both sides. It is approx. 1/4" thick, 2" wide, and 22" long. Of the various styles of scrams out there, it is the broken back style that I am interested in exploring right now. I have chosen to attempt a piece in that style for 2 simple reasons: 1) it only requires grinding an edge on one side, and 2) its geometry is very simple.

So, before I begin, I am openly soliciting input and advice from anyone willing to help. While I certainly don't expect to create a masterpiece, I would, as you might imagine, like to create something I (at least) can be proud of.

So, with that in mind, I throw the door open to the membership. How should I begin? What steps should I follow?

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Warmest Regards,

Andy B.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a welcome to the site as the amount of advice I can give is limited. I would maybe do a practice run or two on a piece of mild steel and see how well you can get the bevel type you want and keep bevels strait and well defined before risking the nice piece of Damascus. In any case even if you can get good results with the practice piece it will only make the real thing better or easier: Practice is always a good thing.

The easiest bevel might be a slightly convex grind using a loose belt: A lot would depend on the complexity you want
i.e. Hollow grinding the main bevel or even harder: Grinding in a fuller.

Anyway, I can't tell you HOW one learns to control the shape of bevels as I have only done some crude knife making years ago using a hand held grinder freehand with the " blade " clamped in a vice: The result was functional enough but grind lines were wavy and rounded but at least there was an identifiable bevel.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Andy Biggers

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

Many thanks for the reply. Actually, I am not 100% sure of the bevel type evident on original period scrams. Since they are usually described as "general purpose" knives used from everything from woodwork and butchery to self defense, I had assumed that a V or wedge bevel was used. However, I am not at all sure. This is yet another point I on which I could benefit from the experience and knowledge of our fellow members.

Andy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I don't know if you have done this already, but do a search on the site for seax, scamaseax etc. As well there is a feature article on the seax if I remember correctly.

Oh, just did that myself: http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_seax.html

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Andy Biggers

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that. The article on the Seax was very interesting. I will study it thoroughly a bit later. Actually, I am rather certain of what it is I am looking to make -- that is in terms of design and materials. What I really need is advice on the "hot to" part of it.

Again, any help that is offered will be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need Advice on New Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic