Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Beowulf sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Michal Grosenbach

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it me, or does the Beowulf sword in the link below look like the more appropriate, wider fuller? Did they change the protype? WTF?!

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2545
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Grosenbach wrote:
Is it me, or does the Beowulf sword in the link below look like the more appropriate, wider fuller? Did they change the protype? WTF?!

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2545

Yes - the sword in this other Reliks link appears to have a wider fuller.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As much as I hate to admit it, this sword has my interest piqued as I absolutely love swords from the migration era. In spite of my more educated sensibilities saying "fah!" I may pick up one of these. I might just wait until it's on close-out and snap one up to use as a antiquing project. I've been wanting to try that for quite some tine and this looks like a sword that can only benefit from the process.
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know I blasted this all over other forums, but when you are proud of your own creation, you gotta show it. Myself and one of the armourers for the movie designed the armour used by Gerard Butler. I had it made about 3 years ago. Here is a shot of it.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Arledge wrote:
I know I blasted this all over other forums, but when you are proud of your own creation, you gotta show it. Myself and one of the armourers for the movie designed the armour used by Gerard Butler. I had it made about 3 years ago. Here is a shot of it.

Cool. Should we look for your name in the credits?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, I don't think even the innerbailey was mentioned in the credits. We designed it for me as a custom order, but the armourer kept all intellectual rights.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just checking Kult of Athena's webpage today and noticed that they had the Beowulf sword in stock.
On another note, Windlass definately changed the fuller from the narrow one of the prototype to a more appropriate wider one.

Attachment: 76.18 KB
[ Download ]
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
I was just checking Kult of Athena's webpage today and noticed that they had the Beowulf sword in stock.
On another note, Windlass definately changed the fuller from the narrow one of the prototype to a more appropriate wider one.

Kult of Athena seems to have the best price for this sword at approximately $300.00. It is also the only place showing this blade with the wider fuller.
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
John Cooksey wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Hugo Voisine wrote:
When I saw the movie I was pretty sure his sword was the "Lombard sword" from Del Tin. Guess I was wrong.

Is it me or the fullers on the Windlass "movies" swords always look a bit too thin ? Look at the swords from KoH...

Some historic swords had thin fullers, but not ring-hilts as far as I know. (Of course, they wouldn't have had monosteel blades, either.) Since Windlass does have viking-style blades with broader fullers, I would have preferred one of those blades for this piece. But I am not in the market for one of these at present anyway.

Eh? Some Migration-period swords *did* have pommels with attached rings, and pattern-welding on sword blades of that long era was not universal. There were some monsteel blades in circulation throughout the period. According to Peterson, most of the Norwegian swords that he examined from the Late Migration/Early Viking era were not patternwelded.

I may be wrong but I believe Steve is referring to the narrower fuller in relation to migration era ring hilts. I don't think he's saying that ring hilts weren't present during the migration era. I agree that the late migration-early viking age sees the beginning of the transition from pattern-welded blades to mono-steel ones. However, since the poem Beowulf specifically mentions pattern-welded blades I think a sword representing that character should have one. Windlass/MRL sells pseudo- PW'd swords so I think using one of those blades (with a wide fuller too) would have been a better choice. Substituting a light colored wood for the white plastic, which is obviously supposed to be bone or ivory, would have been better as well.

I must have been drinking. :-)
I read that statement in a very strange way . . . .
Big oops.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Damon Hickey

PostPosted: Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just some clarifications about the Beowulf Sword from the "Beowulf & Grendel" film:

In the on-screen credits at the end of the film there is an acknowledgement that Beowulf's sword was inspired by a design by J. T. Palliko. That sounds "authorized" to me. Palliko's original has a pattern-welded ("Damascus") blade.

The swords used in the film were made by Valentine Armouries (which is now selling the swords it made for the film). One of these has a pattern-welded blade while the other does not.

The reproduction Beowulf sword is made by Windlass Steelcrafts, and resembles the original Palliko sword more than the movie swords did! I own one of these swords. It has a carbon-steel, not a pattern-welded, blade, but the fuller is wide, unlike the promotional photograph shown on almost every dealer's website (Kult of Athena being the exception, with photographs of swords from their own inventory). The "ivory" pieces are probably plastic, but they look and feel like ivory or bone. I wouldn't expect real ivory in an under-$400 sword, and painted wood would NOT have looked better! My only reservation about this sword was the phony-looking "antique" finish of the brass parts. Why would everything else on a sword look brand new, while the brass is black? Fortunately, that's easily remedied with brass polish or a fuller's cloth, which highlights nicely the raised portions of the interlace pattern on the pommel and guards. By the way, each of these interlace patterns (6 in all) is different from all the rest, as they were on Palliko's original.

I am VERY pleased with this sword, which, like the film, is beautifully-made.

Damon Hickey, Wooster, OH
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be very interested to hear from someone who can confrm if the white hilt components are either plastic or bone. I have a project in mind for this sword but only if those components are made from natural materials.
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I'd be very interested to hear from someone who can confrm if the white hilt components are either plastic or bone. I have a project in mind for this sword but only if those components are made from natural materials.

Hmmmm---wonder how much trouble it would be to just replace the plastic, with wood or bone? Or horn----horn is pretty easy to work.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has anyone else bought this sword and is willing to give us their opinion of it? The price has gone down a bit. http://kultofathena.com/product~item~500960.htm

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Beowulf sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: