Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A good first rapier Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
E Stafford

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: A good first rapier         Reply with quote

Hello all. Edwin here, first time posting. I'm a classics student at a University in Utah, USA. As such, I have an interest in this kind of thing, especially for research purposes. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good rapier, or at least a good rapier blade. I have an idea of what I'd like: a shell guard rapier with a practice blade, and then later, a stiff, historical blade, rather than something like a foil. I had a candidate in mind, the CAS Iberia Gustav, but it looks like the blade isn't up to par. Any help would be great. I've also looked through the reviews, but nothing there appealed to me. Thanks.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to myArmoury, Edwin. Hope you like it here.
How much are you willing to spend and how long are you willing to wait?

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Better than getting a Hanwei/CASI would be to go to www.Darkwoodarmory.com - It seems that all their customers have good things to say about them and their swords.
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would also take a look at Arms & Armor (www.arms-n-armor.com). Their rapiers are pretty expensive (I think they're more expensive than Darkwood), but I've only heard positive feedback about them, too.

Welcome to the site!
Max
James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Edwin,

I'll echo the sentiment about Arms and Armor and Darkwood, both are excellent choices. You can find hands on non biased reviews of various rapiers both by Darkwood and Arms and Armor in the review section of this website. But I might add that if you are really looking for an excellent shell or cup hilt fencing rapier you might want to check out "No Quarter Arms". Dennis Graves has been making rapiers for theatrical companys and fencers alike for 30 years and he really does do excellent work.

http://www.noquarterarms.com/index.html

Jim Holczer
Umbs School of Fence/Martinez Academy of Arms
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I was studying rapier, I thoroughly enjoyed my Alchem Pappenheimer (w/ custom short quillons).

http://www.alcheminc.com/swept.html

These weapons are well under $200 and the Alchem folks were very accomodating of my custom request (no extra charge).

The hilts aren't perfectly historical, but they're strong and mine worked well in my own sparring. The tapered schläger blade was very stiff, which made it possible to use the weapon in an historically accurate manner. If you get a long blade, you'd lose some stiffness. The setup I had (a blade of moderate length matched to a hilt design of ca. 1630) was appropriate for the period of my interest and the text I was studying. It wouldn't be appropriate for study of the long, open-hilt 16th century rapiers.

Alchem has some simpler hilts that would be more appropriate for early rapier study. You might have trouble finding a practice blade long enough for that period but still relatively stiff.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
E Stafford

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darkwood Armory just keeps coming up, doesn't it? Laughing Out Loud. I'll look into them. Thanks for the help.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A good first rapier
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic