Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Kingmaker Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Edward Hitchens wrote:
Oh my, that's beautiful! Henry V would be very proud!

Ted,
The Kingmaker is really not meant to be a repro of the Henry V sword. The proportions are different (the blade is around 5 inches longer on the Kingmaker, for instance) and that guard/pommel combo was relatively common in the 15th century. It's a fine sword on its own, though, and I'm happy to see it in production. Happy

If I recall correctly, Peter J recently stated that the Kingmaker is intended to be more along the lines of XVIII.3 in Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword, rather than the "Henry V" sword (XVIII.1). Like the "Henry V" sword, XVIII.3 has a J.1 pommel and style 9 cross, but has a longer 32 inch blade.

Oh, and I agree with the other comments - the Kingmaker is a beauty. A worthy addition to the Albion lineup!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Kingmaker is a beautiful sword! Definitely in my top 3 list for single-handed Albion models.

The blade blank for the Kingmaker, which was previewed back in early April of 2005, was what first turned me on to Albion's swords. The final product greatly exceeds my expectations!

Great job!
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was at Albion Friday and a few quick points on the Kingmaker:

1. a US nickel fits perfectly in the pommel recesses.
2. the rivet block is not cast as part of the pommel - just one little detail that takes it to the "next level" in my opinion
3. this is no riding/arming sword. . . not by a long shot! it really is a late medieval knightly sword

The pictures may be a little deceiving, but I have no doubt this is a very special sword. I am interested to see if Albion is going to do a more spikey/gothic version of this one kind of like the Regent/Earl because if they do, that one is on my short list too.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I am interested to see if Albion is going to do a more spikey/gothic version of this one kind of like the Regent/Earl because if they do, that one is on my short list too.

That's an interesting observation Jonathon. Now that you mention the Regent I can really see that blade on a scaled down version of the Regents hilt, fishtail pommel, etc. That would be hugely attractive.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for your response to the Kingmaker.
It is good to hear that efforts made to get things right are appreciated.

I am looking forward to reactions from those owners who soon have their swords delivered.
The first Kingmaker was being put together at the very end of my recent stay at Albion. To me it is always a thrill to see the result of everyones efforts result in an actual sword.
It is good to see how individual parts come together and support each other. Even after having spent days defining the planes and volumes of the hilt during the carving of the wax originals, it is something of a surprise to see it finally finished in steel: you know it intimately, but it is also something new. The feeling is that it is now something apart from you and no longer a mental burden: it has reached a life of its own.

In past threads I have tried to descirbe the character and feel of this sword as well as the journey from initial concept to finished sword. I will not repeat myself here.
The Kingmaker has been eagerly awaited by me and the guys at Albion. I hope you will all enjoy it.

Having worked with one or two suprise projects this summer, I am glad to hear that you think it is a good idea to mount this blade with a fish tail pommel...
Wink Cool
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Having worked with one or two suprise projects this summer, I am glad to hear that you think it is a good idea to mount this blade with a fish tail pommel...

Eek! Big Grin
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What Patrick said. Big Grin
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or perhaps the V2 variation of the fishtail pommel. Big Grin
Steve Fabert

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

I am looking forward to reactions from those owners who soon have their swords delivered.

I will have some pictures to post later today.

The fit of the blade and cross are as perfect as any I have seen. You must have spent a lot of time on this area, which is geometrically complex.

My first thought was to compare the Kingmaker to my steel pommel Prince. The balance and perceived weight of the two is virtually indistinguishable even though the Kingmaker is well over six ounces heavier on a scale. The Kingmaker grip is better for a large hand than that of the Prince.

Comparing the Kingmaker to the Poitiers and the Sovereign also, it is easy to see why the Type XVIII blade became more common as plate armor use increased. The Kingmaker feels more solid as a thrusting sword than any of the other three, which all seem to invite cuts in preference to thrusts. The Kingmaker appears to be capable of doing anything the others could do, and doing it just as well, while also providing a realistic chance of surviving direct impact on plate armor.

The blade of the Kingmaker is less than four inches shorter than the blade of the Landgraf and Sempach. It appears to be the optimum length for a single handed sword that is usable for both cutting and thrusting by a person of my overall dimensions, just under six feet tall. I approve of the decision to revise the Kingmaker blade to a longer and thinner profile.

My A&A Henry V is much closer to the shorter dimensions of the original sword attributed to the victor of Agincourt. I have often wondered whether the original Henry V sword began life with a longer blade and was then reworked to its present blade length after receiving damage near the tip. When I compare it to other Type XIV, XV, or XVIII swords it feels unnaturally short.

The Kingmaker is my idea of the typical sword of the Wars of the Roses. But I can also see that the blade would lend itself to a variety of other hilt designs that may broaden the appeal to other buyers.

Thank you for your efforts on such a long awaited item.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Wink Cool

..and the cross from the Castellan maybe?
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the Kingmaker and Prince side by side.

Attachment: 124.4 KB
Kingmaker Prince.gif

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here they are in context, hanging on the north wall of my office. This is the Albion wall. On top left to right are an Agincourt First Gen, Landgraf, Sempach, and Sovereign. Below are the Poitiers, Kingmaker, and Prince.

Attachment: 106.25 KB
Albion wall.gif

Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to derail the thread too far, but I really like your display, Steve. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to display my collection as it continues to quickly take over my floor Laughing Out Loud
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Not to derail the thread too far, but I really like your display, Steve. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to display my collection as it continues to quickly take over my floor Laughing Out Loud

I wish I had that problem.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received my Kingmaker, and I am impressed. The hollow-ground blade is as well executed as the Regent's, though of a smaller scale. The Type 9 cross is well done with the flat "top" and triangular "bottom" consistent with the type--much better in person than the diagrams in Oakeshott's books allow. It is quick and lively in the hand, and it is not hard to see why Oakeshott notes that this type of blade was popular off and on since c. 1000 BC. Cool

I agree that Albion's Type XVIII blade would do well with the variety of pommels (wheel, scent stopper, fishtail) as well as the variety of crosses (type 8, 9, 11, & 12) seen in the type. Of course this would require some tweaks and fine-tuning to maintain the handling characteristics. Not that Albion already has enough on their plate! Wink

Well done Albion! Big Grin

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Not to derail the thread too far, but I really like your display, Steve. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to display my collection as it continues to quickly take over my floor :lol:

By all means find a way to display your swords out in the open, so people can see them and comment.

I am humiliated to discover that I forgot that I own one of my better swords (an Albion Migration D), which has been collecting dust on a top shelf for over a year because it did not fit into my present display scheme. I reread an old list I had made of my Albions and was surprised to see a name that did not go with any of the swords that I see every day. I had to hunt for it. And I really like that sword, so it was like Christmas to rediscover that I own one. Perhaps a benefit of incipient old timer's disease?

I do not foresee any possibility that I could forget that I own my Kingmaker. It stands out among the crowd, both because it has the brightest grip and because it is the best piece of workmanship and design on the premises.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's keep this thread about the Kingmaker, not about wall displays, etc. Thanks!
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Kingmaker
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: