Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patch of Heavy-Ringed Mail on Back? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Patch of Heavy-Ringed Mail on Back?         Reply with quote

I saw this old shirt of mail the other day, and I noticed that the rear shoulder-blades area was reinforced with a much heavier guage ring doubled up into the regular weave. The main body of the shirt was made up of small riveted rings, which looked to have been about eighteen guage at one time. The rivets were minute! The mail showed considerable wear, in-as-much that the rings weren't even a consistent thickness anymore, by a long shot. They even looked to have not been made round in cross-section, but with a sharp ridge. Now, the reinforced area looked to be of the same age as the rest, but made of about sixteen to fourteen guage wire. The patch was about six by thirteen inches at the height of the shoulder blades. What would that have been used for? The actual difference in the rings is more exaggerated than in the photo.

Attachment: 122.98 KB
DSC00313.jpg

Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Considering that some persian and moro mail had the steel plates in the same locations, it would stand to reason that key locations would be reinforced. The lighter links in binding/chafing locations and heavy links in defensive/vitals locations...
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But why the rear shoulder blades? Short of fleeing from cavalry, I can't think of a reason why that area would be reinforced instead of the upper/front shoulders, torso, or other places you are likely to get struck in when advancing.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems more likely to be some kind of repair to me. Is the heavier patch attached over the pre-existing rings of the hauberk or is it inserted into a space in the mail?
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
But why the rear shoulder blades? Short of fleeing from cavalry, I can't think of a reason why that area would be reinforced instead of the upper/front shoulders, torso, or other places you are likely to get struck in when advancing.

Well, if the original owner had only a breastplate then rear reinforcement might be: Cheeper, easier than donning an aditional plate, or less cinching and more comfortable than a full front and back plate harness.

Thats my best guess. Again Unless you have a difinitive country of origin, its kind of guess work.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like a repair to me too. There are plenty of examples of mail shirts made up of several distinct types of mail from different periods/regions.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

im betting either a museum or a previous private owner wanted a full mail shirt and had repair/patch jobs done to this shirt.
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The area of concern has all the smaller rings intact. The heavier guage ones are doubled up into the smaller rings, but only in one orientation. Instead of 4 on 1 it is 4 on 2, if I'm describing it correctly. The heavier guage portion is not a seperate sheet attached on top of the main body of mail. The main shirt body is comprised of all homogeneous type rings, as in seeming to be of the same age, material, manufacture type, etc. That doesn't seem to indicate an enlargement or repair job as an explanation. I believe the mail is of Persian origin. Maybe it's a possibility that the back is actually the front, but it was somewhat hard to tell for me due to the state of the thing.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patch of Heavy-Ringed Mail on Back?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic