Swords of Eastern Europe?
Okay, so I recently read a book called The Historian, a New York Times bestseller last year. The story revolves around the real-life Vlad Draculya. I've been TiVo'ing every Dracula-related program on the History Channel or PBS, and a lot of it is very interesting.

What leaves me wondering, however, is what a 15th-Century Wallachian (Wallachia composes the southern portion of what is now Romania) sword might have looked like, seeing as how the art and architecture of Eastern Europe is rather Byzantine in flavor.

If anybody has any examples, please let me know, as I am currently (and very seriously) contemplating this theme as a custom project.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Swords of Eastern Europe?
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
...What leaves me wondering, however, is what a 15th-Century Wallachian (Wallachia composes the southern portion of what is now Romania) sword might have looked like, seeing as how the art and architecture of Eastern Europe is rather Byzantine in flavor....

As I am sure you know, Francis Ford Coppola thought that a 15th C Wallachian sword would look like a Del Tin 2140. :lol:
The swords that the wallachian soldiers were equiped with in the XVth century must have been similar with the swords that the turks possesed. There were also hungarian type swords. By that i mean the swords were not very long...maybe one meter long...and they presented a slight curve. The nobles (also known as Boieri) and the prince himself ( known as Voievod) had western european swords....long straight swords of damascus type.
Alex Pop wrote:
The nobles (also known as Boieri) and the prince himself ( known as Voievod) had western european swords....long straight swords of damascus type.

That makes sense, seeing as how most of Transylvania was run by German merchants...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: