Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords of Eastern Europe? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Swords of Eastern Europe?         Reply with quote

Okay, so I recently read a book called The Historian, a New York Times bestseller last year. The story revolves around the real-life Vlad Draculya. I've been TiVo'ing every Dracula-related program on the History Channel or PBS, and a lot of it is very interesting.

What leaves me wondering, however, is what a 15th-Century Wallachian (Wallachia composes the southern portion of what is now Romania) sword might have looked like, seeing as how the art and architecture of Eastern Europe is rather Byzantine in flavor.

If anybody has any examples, please let me know, as I am currently (and very seriously) contemplating this theme as a custom project.

Thanks in advance!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Swords of Eastern Europe?         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
...What leaves me wondering, however, is what a 15th-Century Wallachian (Wallachia composes the southern portion of what is now Romania) sword might have looked like, seeing as how the art and architecture of Eastern Europe is rather Byzantine in flavor....

As I am sure you know, Francis Ford Coppola thought that a 15th C Wallachian sword would look like a Del Tin 2140. Laughing Out Loud

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Alex Pop

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The swords that the wallachian soldiers were equiped with in the XVth century must have been similar with the swords that the turks possesed. There were also hungarian type swords. By that i mean the swords were not very long...maybe one meter long...and they presented a slight curve. The nobles (also known as Boieri) and the prince himself ( known as Voievod) had western european swords....long straight swords of damascus type.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Pop wrote:
The nobles (also known as Boieri) and the prince himself ( known as Voievod) had western european swords....long straight swords of damascus type.

That makes sense, seeing as how most of Transylvania was run by German merchants...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords of Eastern Europe?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic