Update: Prince and Squire
Finally got some photos of the hilt component waxes for these two -- photos below. I will get Leif to take some good photos of the waxes all together for the News page.

Best,

Howy

Attachment: 26.38 KB
princewax1.jpg

Attachment: 21.15 KB
squirewax2.jpg

I'm waxing lyrical... ;)
Like the prince better in the wax.
Björn Hellqvist wrote:
I'm waxing lyrical... ;)

He's teasing us, can't you tell? :eek: ;)
The crossguard on the prince looks like it has changed from the initial design sketch.
Jay Barron wrote:
The crossguard on the prince looks like it has changed from the initial design sketch.

Yes, it did.

...or I did, I should say....

When working on this hilt trying out a few versions of the cross guard first planned for in the concept it became obvious the guard had too much 15th C style to fit on a sword of a 14th C type. I turned to the sword that inspired the shape of the pommel (XIV.6 on page 121 in "Records" as many of you have noted) and let the guard of that sword come through more strongly in a version for the "Prince".
What looks Ok in a drawing will not always be the best choise when working in full scale and three dimensions.
The kind of guard sketched on the drawing would also be put to best effect in a hollowground XVIII: one of those classic mid 15th C single hand arming swords. (No definite plans for this one yet, but it is one of those types that cry out to be made into an Albion Next Gen sword) This fact added to my decision to change the cross of the "Prince" to something with a clear 14th C feel to it.
Personally I think the new cross is quite an improvement from the one pictured in the conceptual sketch; I prefer those crosses that have more of a gradual, graceful curve to them versus those with the abruptly downturned terminals. Very beautiful Peter! :)
Nice! I'm partial to the X-XI-XII-XIIIs, but this XVI looks great. Looking at the sketches, I preferred the Squire to the Prince, but now I'm not so sure. The Prince's hilt does add more character.

Why can't I just win the lottery?

Brian M
Robert Zamoida wrote:
Personally I think the new cross is quite an improvement from the one pictured in the conceptual sketch; I prefer those crosses that have more of a gradual, graceful curve to them versus those with the abruptly downturned terminals. Very beautiful Peter! :)

Me too!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: