Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Gallowglass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous! This one sent me to my unabridged dictionary to find the right word. W
tweetchris
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh Howy, that sword is SO Beautiful Exclamation So very beautiful indeed! What's been done with the hilt and the blade proximal to the hilt is so classy looking. I just love what your company is doing with swords, just love it thru and thru!

I gotta start buying lotto tickets! Laughing Out Loud

Well, as I've stated before, being in a more humble financial bracket, although things are better now than ever before, I am one who is in love with this collection of swords hobby so much so, that I am more than willing to make the necessary sacrifices to place myself in that "viable customer" bracket. Why? Because beautiful high quality swords are the most important materialistic thing in the world to me! In the realm of material things, swords are second to none! Not to my vehicle, not to my house, not to anything! Although, we do live in a nice townhouse that has done very well in the real estate market over the years, I certainly keep it up and make improvements, but I love swords more!

From a regular Joe kind of customer who loves high quality production replica swords more than any other material thing, you are doing everything right Howy! This goes for all the artisans in the shop making it all happen too! As well as everyone else there at Albion Swords! Gorgeous blades with Ghusto!

Marvelous, just absolutely marvelous! Happy Wink

Bob
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a work of art! Outstanding weapon.Just perfect!
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Malcolm A

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all
Like a couple of other forum-ites I was never particularly taken by the ring hilt type sword; didnt seem great or fancy etc etc.
THEN I saw the pictures in at the start of this thread.
My jaw literally dropped.
I almost drooled onto the keyboard.
I did actually drop my can of Coke, thankfully nearly empty and onto the floor.

I do not own any swords nor have I handled any but I would say the following;
[a] It is without a doubt a superbly executed piece of work
[b] The design is simple, elegant and very tasteful
[c] Overall, if I could down the road of getting swords this would be one of first.

Sorry to thread-nap;
Current proposed legislation in Scotland is going down the road off banning selling and keeping swords except for special purposes. [Special purposes isstill to be defined]
This has come about from a recent highly publicised upsurge in knife crime combined with a knife amnesty program.
This along with lack of space in and around my apartment is likely to mean I won't be able to own and legitimately use a sword ever without some vote-chasing politician getting on my case.
So I will just dream about the Gallowglass, the Vassal, the Auxilia etc. Sigh....

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion is the first swordmaker to seriously attempt and succeed in making the incised/etched/engraved (?) lines typically found on type XIX ricassos. Also note the lines shadowing either side of the fuller which terminate in an arrow shape just below where the fuller ends. It is details like that which add up to make a really beautiful sword. And there are a lot of other details.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the other Albion XIX's turn out.
Bill Strait

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning Howy! This one is going on my list. Big Grin

Bill

Fear profits man nothing.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger, thank you for pointing that out about the details on the ricasso, I myself now starting my second year was not able to elaborate as I would have like to and you did a great job of it for me and expressed my sentiments exactly!
Having spent 7 arduous years on my maternal ancestry and knowing that my father was mostly Irish, which is where most of my Irish ancestry comes from, and there is a bit of Irish on my mother's side of which I was able to take back to some Irish Kings back in the 11th century, makes this Gallowglass particularly appealing to me.
I do have the Arms & Armor Irish Sword which in my opinion is a beautiful sword both in how it looks and handles, but this Gallowglass is a whole another dimension with these fine and intricate details that Roger so eloquently pointed out.

What a beautiful sword Albion has created of the Irish heritage!

Bob
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, the Gallowglass! This is a Guiness moment! Razz In truth, that's probably the nicest Irish ring pommel I've ever seen. Marvelous work guys, as always!

Slainte!! Wink

ETA on the Kern?

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Based on the concept art I didn't expect to be that interested in this sword. I was wrong. Despite being outside my usual 11th-14th century interests, this is an absolutely beautiful sword.
You guys have really outdone yourselves with this one.

Brian M
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with the previous comments on this one, absolutely magnificent.

An earlier comment was made on the relatively small size of this particular 'run'. I'm curious to know how Albion determines in advance how many of a given sword will be manufactured. Is some sort of market survey conducted, or is it just kind of guesswork/arbitrary in nature? Or perhaps there are other factors, i.e., complexity of manufacture (although those could simply be dealt with in the context of pricing to some extent). So I'm just wondering if Howy or someone from Albion might shed some light on how they determine the number of a given model of sword prior to its introduction.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this is the first time I have actually said it out loud when first seeing a new sword.

Wow. just.. wow....

I hate ring pommels, and this is no exception in the catagory, but with a filled pommel... wow...
I guess if one sould find a coin or a nice decorated disc to epoxy in the void....

Still great work! Owch on the 100 limit, but still wow.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has anyone received a Gallowglass yet? If you have, please let us know what you think of it.
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! All I did was look at that sword and think "Goddam it, theres another sword I will never hope to own for another few years..."

Well, ye can but dream Big Grin

Tell you something, being a student means I'll be dreaming a lot, at least until I start work next year...then role on the new swords Big Grin

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is really sweet looking Eek!

I'll bet that slim blade makes it lightning fast

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Received mine Friday...........still drooling..........can't keep hands off........can't keep Linda's hands off. Post more when I have pics.

Thanks Howy, Amy, and crew for giving such wonderful opportunities!!!!

BTW: Gary, yes it is FAST. Big Grin

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
Received mine Friday...........still drooling..........can't keep hands off........can't keep Linda's hands off. Post more when I have pics.

Thanks Howy, Amy, and crew for giving such wonderful opportunities!!!!

BTW: Gary, yes it is FAST. Big Grin

That's great news Greg. Mine is on its way, rolling west, maybe somewhere in Nebraska right now.
Joe D

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: THAT's HOW WE SHOULD HAVE DRIVEN THOSE DAMN ENGLISH OUT!         Reply with quote

Sirrah, I complement you on your handiwork, it is a beautiful piece of art as well as deadly. Slaun Adh Mor!
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What an amazing sword. Any chance one of you lucky owners is going to do a review?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Andrews wrote:
What an amazing sword. Any chance one of you lucky owners is going to do a review?

Here is an informal review: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8138

As far as I know, no owners have contacted us about doing an official hands-on review. We would love to have one. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jan, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My cousin and new "myArmoury Member" Jim Conahan and myself went to Kult of Athena Saturday Jan 19th and we had the "Intense Pleasure" to wield the Gallowglass, Holy Smokes Exclamation Pleasure Center Overload Exclamation
Jim fell in Love and though it was not today, he is definitely buying the Gallowglass Exclamation This will be his very first sword, he was absolutely mesmerized and I was the person who put the sword in his hands, after saying "My God Jim! Wait till you feel this sword Exclamation "

Then I just stood back and watched for his reaction. He LIT UP, I could see the Karma happen Exclamation Happy

Both of us said "It's Everything and MORE than we Expected Exclamation "

Me? I am sternly prohibited by my wife from buying any more swords at this time Exclamation Cry Cry

But I have the Arms & Armor Edward III and Black Prince Swords coming very soon now! Happy Big Grin

However, I am "Thrilled" for Jim, that he will be buying the Gallowglass and Ryan (owner of Kult of Athena) is also ordering a Gallowglass for his own private collection too Exclamation

This is truly one of the most beautiful and elegant swords that my eyes and hands have ever beheld! In fact, the Gallowglass, once you've wielded this sword, well the physical beauty and grace of the sword combined with the spiritual inferno that I experienced is hard to put into words. You have to hold this sword and move it, to comprehend it all Exclamation

I held the sword horizontal to the floor with my left hand close to the cross and hit the pommel with my right hand.
That sword is "Alive" Exclamation I mean WOW Exclamation

Totally Blown Away Exclamation

Bob

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Gallowglass
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: