Period Accurate Attachments
I'm building a gambeson for myself but don't fancy making lace holes and lacing it up to put it on. But I want it to be period accurate. Is there documentation of any other type, like buckles or ties?

Thanks.
That is going to depend on what period you intend. In about the 14th century, buttons became fairly common. I don't know about buckles.

-Grey
I'm looking to make a gambeson for a transitional harness around 1375 to 1400.

From various other sources it seems clear that a variety of attachment types were in use at this time, but I only ever seen laces for a gambeson. Buckles are used on plate armor that goes over the gambeson but not on the gambeson, at least from what I've seen.
The first thing you'll need to do it let us know what you consider a gambeson to be. :) Many consider the garment worn under mail and plate, though some use the term aketon for that and "gambeson" for things that others call jupons or coat armours, going over mail and/or plate.

The Black Prince's jupon/gambeson/coat armour laces up the front. The gambeson of Charles IV uses buttons.

[ Linked Image ]
Chad -
I'd consider the garment you posted a gambeson, certainly.

Things like the aketon or jack that Matuls makes would also be 'gambesons' by my reckoning.

So, are the buckles that Matuls offers historic?
In dragon #3 a buttoned gambesson/jack can be seen from late 14th to early 15th.

http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/dragon-3.pdf
(page 11 drawing e)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: